MFC Demons Season Thread

yer it was reported on a demons forum im on. haha
But yeh a good 5 i say :thumbsup:

This week they all have to submit a team to play the Dockers as well as a game plan as part of their extensive evaluation.
my order of preference;
1. Sheeds
2. Hardwick (From all reports has impressed the most and pretty much had it wraped up until Sheeds came back in the running)
3. Riely
4. Connolly
5. Baily (Dont know anything about him except for he is nicknamed Cuddles because he looks like a very intimidating person haha:lol:)

I hope we get Sheeds and get Riely to stay on as assistant!! :cool:

i actually watched the 1/2 half. Looked to be on the verge of a triple figure victory so i went to bed only to find out we won by 11pts lol!!!

Hehehe well I was there and we, being me, father dearest and a couple of mates were all of the exact same opinion you had. But I NEVER leave a game early.

Melbourne Evaluations and Plan for 2008

Staff:

Head Coach – Dean Bailey
Football Operations Manager – Chris Connolly (Speculation)
Assistant Coach – Mark Riley (Has 1 more Year and has stated he will stay on)
President – Paul Gardiner

Playing List 40 with 3 on the Rookie List (I think)

Captain for 08:
Brock McLean

Retired: (-4)
Bryon Pickett
Clint Bizzell
Nathan “Dogga” Brown
David Neitz (Should hang up the boots, is really looking like his age out their and I think we should start molding Newton as his successor at FF and Bate to hold down CHF.

Delist: (-7)
Chris Johnson
Heath Neville
Daniel Ward
Isaac Weetra
Mark Jamar
Daniel Hughes
Ryan Ferguson

Elevate: (+1 to List of 40)
Jace Bode

Rookie Listed Players:
Shane Neeves

Trading Block (-3)
Cameron Bruce (Contracted on for another 2 Seasons, but his skills this season have been dreadful and is a soft player and with a new coach and approach we should be looking to iron out these types of players)
Brad Miller (Produced 1 good year at Melbourne, has been given a mass amount of chances to prove himself but has shown nothing)
Russell Robertson (Out of contract and has been offered 2 years but he wants three. Id hate to see Robbo go because he is the heart of Melbourne along with Neita but he is 30 years old and his knees have troubled him recently)
Travis Johnstone (Possible, for him to stay he should be required to put in a good pre season and hit the gym and really change his attitude and his harden up. He has one of the nicest and most accurate kicks in the AFL but his rest of his game leaves little to be desired.)

Off-Season Additions:
Chris Judd
Justin Sherman
An Established Backmen (FB or a Key Back)
Any Free Agents that are well worth signing should be looked at and considered.

Draft:
If we win this week and Richmond lose (Most likely outcome) we get picks;

This will be updated after Sunday’s result but honestly I would much rather lose but I can’t see it happening. We would finish 2nd last and would be primed to get Matthew Krzuer with the 2nd Pick as I don’t think Richmond will go for another Ruckman even though he is the pick of the draft. I would also love to sign Scott Selwood, from what I’ve heard he has been labeled the best Selwood even better than Joel and he plays CHF.
Don’t know to much about the talent in this years draft except for the fact it is being labeled deep and the most talented since Judd’s draft. We should also look for a livewire, a key backmen and also a hard at it and workhorse like midfielder.
So if we win we get 2 picks in top 20 well one of them is on the cusp of 20 at 21 and if we lose than we get three picks in the top 20. So I say tank tank tank but it’s whether or not we can tank tank tank better than Carlton.

+ I think we get a pick in the Rookie Draft, not to sure about this but if it is and we do select someone than they will be thrown on our Rookie List and be required to play for Sandy in 08 to prove themselves. If though we get a high pick and select a veteran type player which can happen than id imagine they would join our list of 40 but I doubt we will opt with this option. Again I’m not entirely sure how this works but that’s my basic understanding of it.

A Trade Proposal:

Miller and a Late Pick for Justin Sherman

Miller is a Queensland boy and Sherman a country Victorian. Sherman has had a shocking season and is really finding it hard to break into the Lions team. And Miller could resurrect his career under Leigh Matthews and could be handy with Brown and like Tarrant with Pavlich.

Our Best 22 without our Off-Season Additions and taking out all my delisting and retirees’ and only keeping Robbo in from the trading block:

B - Bartram, Carroll, Whelan
HB - Bell, Rivers, Wheatly
C - Dunn, McDonald, Moloney
HF - Green, Bate, Sylvia
F - Davey, Newton, Robbo
Fol - White, Jones, McLean
I/C - P.Johnson, Frawley, Pettard, Yze

Leaves:
Godfrey, Buckley, Bode, Warnock, Garland, B.Holland

So basically with all my omissions we have to sign/draft 12 players and also add 2 players to our rookie list.
If that’s not a cleanout than I don’t know what is :D

That’s about it; I think my assessment is both fair and accurate and I haven’t protected any players because their my favorites, for example I am a fan of Bruce and Travis but I’m just telling it as it is. Like to hear from Ben and a few other Demon supporters to see what their take is on my analysis and get opinions and ideas. I will add to this post with our draftees and when things become official!

Judd wants to win he will stay and Eagle or go to Hawthorn.

No other team has a chance in reality - cos we have the stars to trade for him, the salary cap room, ... and the bright future...

very fair very good anyallssis of what melbourne need to do but as a carlton supporter we need melbourne to win

I have to agree with your ratings of Johnstone, Miller and Bruce; not as much Robertson, but i can see your point with him.

Miller has been a massive waste the last 2 years; a move to any other club may spark him up, but who knows.

Yze, Johnstone and Bruce are runners rather in and under players like McLean and Jones; they look good on wing with 20 metres clear, but in a contest they struggle.

I'll be watching what Bailey does with a keen interest, and well done Metallica with your list write up

thanks Stevo and i think you will win. Whoever loses is the winner in my books hahah

Judd wants to win he will stay and Eagle or go to Hawthorn.

No other team has a chance in reality - cos we have the stars to trade for him, the salary cap room, ... and the bright future...

Fact - Judd followed the Dees as a kid and idolised Garry Lyon.
Fact - Why wouldnt he want to help the Dees win their first flag for 43 years, that would easily be his ultimate achievement in his football career if it happened.
Fact - He cant stand being around the drugo's and from Sevens report 7 Hawks players are using. I cant say i agree with what they did but that is a TRUE allegation whether you like it or not and it's out there but hopefully common sense prevails and this remains confidential. If he comes to Melbourne he wouldnt be going to hawk land :wave:

We could offer Bruce and Johnstone and a pick. I think that is a preety solid package for one player and considering the Coasters still have an awesome team without Judd it wouldnt effect the team much at all they would just be losing a freak for 2 talented players and a pick.

Miller has been a massive waste the last 2 years; a move to any other club may spark him up, but who knows.

Yze, Johnstone and Bruce are runners rather in and under players like McLean and Jones; they look good on wing with 20 metres clear, but in a contest they struggle.

exactly right Gerco. 100%

Yze, Travis and Bruce are Flair players and we got to many at Melbourne. Their should be a good balance of Flair and excitement and the guys that go hard at the ball and do the one percenters.
Bruce/Travis and a Pick maybe for Judd would work i think and would be a good scenario if Judd decides he wants to come back to Melbourne. He is out of contract though but if WC could draw up something and we move Bruce and Travis contracts we should have enough to sign Judd and West Coast would be getting something for him.

exactly right Gerco. 100%

Yze, Travis and Bruce are Flair players and we got to many at Melbourne.
Their should be a good balance of Flair and excitement and the guys that go hard at the ball and do the one percenters.

Bruce/Travis and a Pick maybe for Judd would work i think and would be a good scenario if Judd decides he wants to come back to Melbourne.

He is out of contract though but if WC could draw up something and we move Bruce and Travis contracts we should have enough to sign Judd and West Coast would be getting something for him.

Personally I reckon it would have to be your 1st round pick and perhaps even another one as well as Bruce and Johnstone, but I reckon the Eagles maybe interested in Miller as well... something like Judd, a young Victorian player and a 3rd round pick for Bruce, Johnstone and Miller and 1st rd pick and perhaps 3rd round pick.

Melbourne does have a lot of flair players; Jones and McLean seem like hard nuts with a touch flair when its required, but the best teams, Geelong (Bartel, Kelly, Ling, G.Ablett, Selwood), Port Adelaide (The Cornes Bros., the Burgoyne Bros., Cassisi), West Coast (Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Priddis, Selwood) all have hard nuts or at least players that can get the ball themselves, also use it well, unlike Bruce, who as your have mentoined before is a lacklustre kicker.

Just my thoughts

I was on the Bruce + what ever for Judd bandwagon from as early as round 5. Make it happen Dees! And it can happen AJ for all the reasons Jon outlined :)

well we ended up beating the Blues by 5 goals i think and in our best efforts to tank in stages we were out tanked by the Blues. Was a really fun and stress free game to watch but haha with a few nice hangers in their aswell :D
Pickett, Browny and the Biz all chaired off and i got real emotional seeing that too. Great scenes for three great servants of the club and they all went off in style. Pickett got a nice goal with his final kick and Browny got 1 in a contested get and also showed pure bravery and poise in throwing his ball at a ball in dispute and winning it to set up a goal. Also the biz wasnt sighted that much but he has been a great player for the club over the years and if it wasnt for his season ending injuries he would still be playing.

look to next year with Bailey and Riely in the box and i look foward to this upcoming offseason.

in the finals i'll be rooting for
1. Roos
2. Sydney
3. Adelaide

:thumbsup:

well done to the dees tonight outplayed a shameful carlton
jhonstone fantastic robbo played well

yer thanks Stevo, yer at a minute their it looked like travis could of had 50 possies and robbo 10 goals. It was so apparent in parts the pick was all Carlton were playing for and it's a shame. 3 #1 picks in a row is just not right and the tigers are robbed of that pick because Carlton havent been able to win over 5 games a season for the last 3 years. I just wish they used the EXACT same system as the NBA with the lottery. Boston tanked 07 and should of got a top 2 pick and didnt and served them right really and thats coming from a celt fan. ;)
Frustrates me with Travis because he has such wonderful skils and the potential to be an elite football but his attitude stops him from becoming that.
Robbo can't leave us, he kicked over 40 this year even after missing a chunk of games. You gotta love Robbo, his hangar had me in laughter for 5 minutes haha. His heart beats true for the red and blue and i hope Melbourne and him come to terms with a deal that will suit both Robbo and the Melbourne footy club.

This year hasnt reflected where our list is at. We havent been able to list anything close to our best team all year and also lost 4 matches by less than a goal. You have years like that and i am expecting us to make the 8 next year and fingers crossed for that top 4 spot we have narrowly missed in the previous 2 years.

Well i was spot on with Conolley in becoming our football operations manager and today we dilisted 5 players. Was a bit suprised that players like Jamar and Chris Johnson still remain at the club but i think their is still plenty of changes to be made in the off-season at demonland.

Players Delisted:

Daniel Ward
Simon Godfrey
Shane Neeves
Daniel Hayes
Heath Neville

Well not too suprised here except i thought their might of been 2 other players delisted. I didnt think Godfrey would get cut lose but i think its the right move because he is ONLY a tagger and all the best taggers in the afl have skills to go with their defensive game. Good servant of the club and wish him all the best with his job as a sparky.
Neeves i had on my list to get elevated but he's gone and we dont really have a young ruck coming up the ranks.
Rest are rubbish and were all expected to be gone.

With the 4th pick i want either Alex Rance who is your true modern day FB or Rhys Palmer who reminds me of a Chad Cornes type player.

I will correct the Evaluation in a day or two.

ps. we should have a thread where we can keep track of every clubs delistings!!

I liked his run off HB but he had the worst kick in the AFL, preety much every time he kicked the pill it resulted in a turnover.
Hope we sign a big name player in the off-season and do well in the draft!!!

Back
Top Bottom