Low Balling

I guess as a seller I've been guilty of listing at eBay high prices, but in doing this it comes with the expectation of dropping about 25% of that price because most people will try and knock a few dollars off when buying (including myself).
So say a card selling between 30-40 dollars on eBay I post at 40 then end up selling for 30.
Problem is if I listed it at 30 then I doubt anyone would say 'ill take it at 30' and I'd end up selling it at $25.
The exception would be a member who I know will PC then I'd be happy to sell for the $25 but I'd probably offer it at $25 as soon as the contacted me about it.
All a bit of give and take I guess but as said above I'd rather sell for a bit less and know my card is appreciated and not flipped.

Wow from $30-$80 so far with a hype price of $120. Hmmm this maybe the old case of "need it for the pc" or yeah "I like the card itself".

Its a very unique situation though, on one hand you have a low numbered tag of a potential superstar, but then you could also see that he's been injured most of last year and the tag itself isn't a logo so people wouldnt see it being worth as much

I based mine off Tim Duncan's two Timeless treasure tags which have sold for $65 each, hes just been in the Finals and is quite a popular player, so I think around there would be fair right now

my biggest gripe is when you post cards up for sale and low ballers pm you asking how much - you tell them a price and then they don't even give you enough common courtesy to say no thanks thats out of my price range. ESPECIALLY when you say in it that you are happy to negotiate. I've had 6 of these on my Anthony Davis I'm trying to sell.

If you were going to sell, you would wait till Love regained his all star form...

To be honest mate, I probably don't pay enough attention to the NBA to even realise when/if he is hot or in form. I'd probably be one of the guys who would cash in if I knew. I'm really only interested in busting boxes and I barely do that. Good fun just chatting on here and watching other bust.

I'd like to tempt you to release one of these so you can access some cash asap....

Lebron UD Black - Ill pay $300
MJ Triple Dimensions - I'll pay $400

I don't mean to offend and I probably would offer if I didn't know you were keen to get that Logoman. Look forward to hearing back from you soon[QUOTE/]

My listed prices are:
LBJ $1200
MJ $1500

lolz! Sounds tempting :lol:

Definitely a hot topic and worth discussing.

There is so much that I would like to say regarding this issue but I will just go through a couple of things that have stood out for me personally.

As a collector (which I still am) I have always paid a fair price (ebay) and sometimes higher when purchasing cards for my own collection. Mainly because I understand that we have all had to buy or bust the cards at some point and I don't expect to get them for next to nothing.
Sometimes you get lucky you pick up an item that has been listed super cheap which is always a good day as a collector =D> Sadly you often finish second to a flipper grabbing it first but I guess that is half the fun sometimes.

For me, the worst habit that I have noticed is the collector (I say that loosely) who constantly offers to buy your cards at well below ebay prices but their own sale threads all items are well above ebay prices. Sometimes you can put it down to inexperience but sadly the majority of people doing this to me have been in the game for long enough to use inexperience as an excuse.

It is these sort of buyers that have impacted my own time spent buying and selling cards on OCT lately. To avoid the excessive spam via PM only seems possible by not being around so much.

With saying all of that, there are still so many great (true) collectors on OCT but sifting through all the BS can be a bit overwhelming at times :(

Even after all this, I still love the hobby :thumbsup:

I haven't anything as bad as verse1. Crikey!!!
But I find more and more people are ballin'
and a few good guys that are happy to pay market price too...
My main issue is someone commenting in my thread saying they are keen on a card so I PM them and
Never hear from them again..

As time passes by I think clearly stating 'this is my best price so don't ask for it cheaper' may stop the time wasters.

Low balling.

asA2K.jpg

to be honest i think alot of people need a cup of cement and to toughen up, if you have a card for sale, and have for example "selling all cards very very cheap, need to cash to buy another card/bill e.c.t" then expect to be lowballed, its common sence that people are going to offer you alot less than your after, if you want $300, then they will offer $150, why? because they know you want to move the card, they only half want it but will put the offer in anyway expecting to haggle on the price. my best advice, if you have dropped the card price and want a price, then put the price and put firm.......that way you get rid of all the people who are looking to pick up a bargin :)

I can understand low ballers being annoying but i also find it equally annoying when a seller just says "Pm your offer" and won't provide a price or even a ballpark figure for the card they are selling if asked. Then they get annoyed at the offer... What if someone genuinely doesn't have an idea of what the card is worth? If you are not happy with the offers you are getting then provide what you think is a fair price!

I can understand low ballers being annoying but i also find it equally annoying when a seller just says "Pm your offer" and won't provide a price or even a ballpark figure for the card they are selling if asked. Then they get annoyed at the offer... What if someone genuinely doesn't have an idea of what the card is worth? If you are not happy with the offers you are getting then provide what you think is a fair price!

Yep this is much more annoying imo Thats why I prefer Blowouts rule where you have to post prices when selling/trading, it just saves everyone time

example of people ripping of a new collector who don't know better

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-Mic...etball_Sporting_Equipment&hash=item41756ccf5d

saying its "rare" and wanting $10, their are 13 on comc, for $5 to, and the cards corners look all stuffed, i would not offer him a 1$, yet people would say thats low balling, i call it reserch, it happens everywhere, if you don't want to be lowballed then put the price you want

Back
Top Bottom