Live NBA Experiences

Fun fact:

I was at this game...

bored larry david GIF

went to 2 games in 2016 .
Knicks vs Celtics at Madison Square Garden .
Crowd was crazy. Everyone was so hyped on Porzingis every time he touched the ball it went bananas. Also so much hate for the Celtics there

Lakers vs Kings at Staples Centre
Kobe farewell season. was amazing to watch him play even though I think he had a quiet game but all the off the ball stuff you dont always see watching on TV was so good to see and definitely could see the work ethic in person.

Both arenas were awesome and had the best times.
In NYC the hotel was right across from the Garden. In LA we stayed in West Hollywood and took the bus down to Staples... that was quite the experience to go through some of those areas of LA

2013/14:

That Larry David gif game, NYK vs Phoenix at the Garden...great OT game.

Carmelo and Dragic killed it, some dude smashed the glass in front of the level 2 barrier because NEW YOIK!

Brooklyn at the time was a mess. Tickets were like $7 and due to snow, only went to BKN/ATL. Bought tickets to a Orlando game but it was too cold to go :)

2018/19?

Went to BKN/Miami and Nets got pummeled.

I might go next year or the year after and try for a month there. Hit up a heap of NFL/NBA

I was lucky enough to go over for a work conference held in San Francisco in 2012 (something would never happen any more) so we made our way to Oakland one night to see the 20-30 Warriors host the 18-35 New Jersey Nets. Steph was injured, Bogut was injured (tweeted him pre-game hoping he'd meet us but replied back saying he couldn't).
Caught the train across the bay to Oakland. Got to walk across a bridge with razor wire on the way to the Raiders/A's stadium and then a bit further to the Arena.

We splurged for decent ground level, mid-court seats so that made it great experience. The Nets were down 14 at the end of the 3rd quarter but ended up winning by 2.
Deron Williams had a horrible shooting night, but registered 20 assists, Gerard Wallace had 24pts, 18rebs, 5asts, 6stls whilst Kris Humphries and Gerald Green had 20 each. Green threw down a couple of nice dunks.

The Warriors starting line up has to be one of their worst ever. Charles Jenkins/(Rookie) Klay Thompson/Dorrell Wright/David Lee/Jeremy Tyler. Lee had 27 points for the home side, Klay had 14 with 4 3s and Charles Jenkins must have had the best game of his career - 18 points, 12 assists.

After the conference I went travelling on my own. Stopped in LA for one night only just to catch a game at Staples. Saw the Clippers host the Kings. Stayed close by and walked to the arena. Was cool seeing all the statues outside of Staples. Was a bit of feeling in this one as Cousins & Griffin had clashed when he sides played a bit earlier. Clippers won pretty comfy but was great seeing CP3/Griffin connect on several dunks plus a circus shot (that got waved off). Griffin had 27/14 whilst Paul had 19/15/5rebs/7stls.

I made my way up the West coast and stopped in Portland for a few days and caught a game between the Blazers and the Rockets. Rockets won on the road by 5. Dragic had 22 for the Rockets, Aldridge 20 for the Blazers. It is definitely the game I remember the least about. Despite being the most old fashioned of the arena the Moda Centre was pretty cool and I really enjoyed Portland.

The in arena experience was unlike anything I'd seen at a sporting event at the time, at all three venues and I imagined it's changed a lot since then. Can't believe I'm talking about games that happened a decade ago!

I was lucky enough to go over for a work conference held in San Francisco in 2012 (something would never happen any more) so we made our way to Oakland one night to see the 20-30 Warriors host the 18-35 New Jersey Nets. Steph was injured, Bogut was injured (tweeted him pre-game hoping he'd meet us but replied back saying he couldn't).
Caught the train across the bay to Oakland. Got to walk across a bridge with razor wire on the way to the Raiders/A's stadium and then a bit further to the Arena.

We splurged for decent ground level, mid-court seats so that made it great experience. The Nets were down 14 at the end of the 3rd quarter but ended up winning by 2.
Deron Williams had a horrible shooting night, but registered 20 assists, Gerard Wallace had 24pts, 18rebs, 5asts, 6stls whilst Kris Humphries and Gerald Green had 20 each. Green threw down a couple of nice dunks.

The Warriors starting line up has to be one of their worst ever. Charles Jenkins/(Rookie) Klay Thompson/Dorrell Wright/David Lee/Jeremy Tyler. Lee had 27 points for the home side, Klay had 14 with 4 3s and Charles Jenkins must have had the best game of his career - 18 points, 12 assists.

After the conference I went travelling on my own. Stopped in LA for one night only just to catch a game at Staples. Saw the Clippers host the Kings. Stayed close by and walked to the arena. Was cool seeing all the statues outside of Staples. Was a bit of feeling in this one as Cousins & Griffin had clashed when he sides played a bit earlier. Clippers won pretty comfy but was great seeing CP3/Griffin connect on several dunks plus a circus shot (that got waved off). Griffin had 27/14 whilst Paul had 19/15/5rebs/7stls.

I made my way up the West coast and stopped in Portland for a few days and caught a game between the Blazers and the Rockets. Rockets won on the road by 5. Dragic had 22 for the Rockets, Aldridge 20 for the Blazers. It is definitely the game I remember the least about. Despite being the most old fashioned of the arena the Moda Centre was pretty cool and I really enjoyed Portland.

The in arena experience was unlike anything I'd seen at a sporting event at the time, at all three venues and I imagined it's changed a lot since then. Can't believe I'm talking about games that happened a decade ago!

David Lee was/ is my PC player. Very underrated.

I saw Dragic on the Suns and Heat. You saw him on the Rockets

Every game he was the best player ahaha

While not NBA per se, I watched the Magic Johnson All Stars (Mark Aguirre also played) against the Boomers.

I also saw a Australia vs Canada game in Sydney when Gaze and Longley played for the Boomers.

I saw 4 x USA games at the Sydney Olympics and that was a great experience sitting so close and watching players like Garnett, Mourning, Carter, Allen, Kidd, Houston, McDyess, Payton, Tim Hardaway etc. also saw Yao Ming play for China, AK 47 for Russia.

More recently saw one of the USA (Tatum, Brown, Smart, Mitchell, Kuzma, Middleton etc) vs Boomers (Patty, Baynes, Ingles, Bogut, Delly etc) games in Melbourne which was great and then also watched Canada vs the USA in Sydney which was a warm up for the tournament in China.

Fun times!

Cheers
Matt

In 1995 I took my son to Disneyland when he was10.We had the chance to see the Bulls play the Clippers at the Arrowhead Pond also the home of the Mighty Ducks.This was the Clippers home game.The auditorium was packed.The reason was MJ was in town.The Bulls ran out narrow winners in the end,but to be very honest,it was the Scottie Pippen show.That was the last time I travelled outside Australia but it was our 3rd time to Disneyland.At nearly 70 now,I will cherish those holidays with my son always.🙂

Saw Amare Stoudemires Knicks beat Tim Duncan and Tony Parkers Spurs in 2010 at Madison Square Garden. The next day I was in LA and didnt have time to see Kobe play.

In recent years have seen 3x Lakers games at Staple Centre before and after Lebron joined.

Been over a bunch of times. Going to games and taking in the entire vibe is my jam for sure.

Best experience was going to a Golden State game in Oakland when the Lakers came to town - Kobe, Nash, Dwight and Pau era. The arena was batshit insane and the atmosphere was the best thing I'd experienced, be difficult to top it. Curry/Klay shot well - Bogut/Lee owned Dwight - Kobe had 30--ish plus a highlight dunk. I went super early to catch all the players warming up before official warm-ups. Watched Kobe work on his moves from the elbows. Nash was something else, he was jacking threes and I don't think any caught rim, every single one was all net every damn time. Warriors gave it to them, fans high fiving each other, got free nuggets. A rad memory.

Saw Miami in San Antonio when those two were rivals. Bron/Wade sat out (fuckers) but somehow Miami won it with Bosh canning a three near the buzzer. Was staying at the same hotel as the Heat. Saw most of the players around the foyer at one time or another. Mike Miller was pretty cool with everyone. James Jones just walked out and down the street and nobody gave his time of day. We wanted to chat to Spo but his security was palming everyone away.

Last went over in 2015 for a month to do a West to East Coast road trip. Was cool going from state to state taking in the different experiences at each arena. All different vibes / different food/concessions. Staples was great for both the Lakers and Clips games. Dallas was unreal in terms of hospitality and what they do during game stoppages. New Orleans probs the poorest in terms enjoyment. Cleveland was a good vibe with Bron but the city itself is garbage. MSG awesome. Brooklyn's new venue I really didn't like, very dark venue and the seating is steep ... felt like climbing a mountain to our seats hah.

If you ever go, best advice I could give is to always buy tickets from mid bowl down. Upper tier is pretty crappy, you don't save that much money and the view is way worse. Also go early and catch all the players going through their routines.

I could go on and on about games I've been fortunate to see and stuff to do. Love the US! Haven't been to a Playoff/Finals game but those are def on the bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom