Legacy 2023

Another thing to also keep in mind is the upheaval in the paper industry, which has caused paper prices to rapidly increase.

First COVID created a shift away from paper, with the rapid uptake of digital services to reduce touch points and potential transmission. Even the humble restaurant menu was replaced with a QR code patrons could scan so they could look at a menu on their phone. This lead to a 20% reduction in demand for paper stocks, and paper production was scaled back.

The eCommerce boom that was also seen during this period created an increase demand for packaging, which saw a production switch which further reduced the mill capacity for paper. Packaging stock prices went up 25% during this period.

Stora Enso in Finland closed two of its paper mills, and focused on cardboard and biomaterials due to these changing trends.

Post-COVID saw a rapid uptake in demand for paper, which drove prices up due to the reduced production and supply during COVID.

Then you had UPM (another major paper mill in Europe) workers go on strike in Finland for about 112 days last year. UPM workers were joined by the transport workers who blockaded the paper mills, and this all created a massive disruption to supply chains. Most of Australia's major printers were scrambling to sure up paper stocks to see out production, and its a disruption that flowed into 2023, with another strike by Finnish transport workers.

Ultimately the price of wood pulp has increased 80% since 2020. Add to this the increase costs of energy and shipping rates. Even the Chinese printers who undercut everyone couldn't escape these disruptions.

Fair box I just opened
Daicos rising star #01
Pendles #08
Dusty cornerstone
Platinum sig
Kozzy 22 #34
EBay box easily paid for itself

IMG_1975.jpeg

Did get gibney platinum auto and did get 3 auto in one box just glad to cover cost with some of the breaks I have seen so bloody happy to hit the richo

Value on Richo zero on eBay I would quess 1000 maybe

Pretty broad range on the Legacy cards at the moment, but overall steadily increasing.

Two Koutas have gone, first (17/35) at $1199, second (23/35) at $2000
Jobe Watson (27/35) was listed at $1250 went best offer
Lachie Neale (01/35) went for $1500
and a Richo (20/35) was listed at $1650 went best offer.

Guernsey numbered Cousins currently sitting at $600 with 3 days left.

Still waiting on 2 boxes. Looks like they were just picked up from Select about half an hour ago. Paid for the premium shipping. Anyone else in the same boat?

All I'm seeing is people whinging about ratios, not getting big hits, bashing on Select for the release for whatever reason in general and here's me just enjoying opening cards and looking for ANY Carlton cards. Love it.
Rinse repeat - same commentary every single release. It’s as if people don’t understand how production, sequencing and collation work on a line.

It’s as if people think there is a line of 200 workers putting packets into boxes. They take note of each non case hit box and send them to people on purpose.

Pretty simple example: if a captain sig is 1:10 boxes, everyone on ozcard isn’t going to hit one from their two boxes. But they will certainly all feel hard done by when they don’t.

I’m going to try dig up a CA episode where the process is explained properly.

Still a puzzle to me why they ignore the rookie and mid season draft rookies, hate they dropped rookie hit in favour of milking the selling point of the supremacy rookie release.
Getting rid of the Future Hall Of Fame blows my mind, yea Vortex and Corner stone are so much more appealing...
Love if they had signature from some recent inductees into the Hall of Fame
agree..can't understand why they can't do non-sigh mid season draft rookies..
Apart from that small complaint...love this release.
plenty to collect and plenty to cherish for years to come. Great job select!

My thoughts on this series:
  • Box ratio, yet again, is not where it should be at, lacking bang for your buck on average
  • Many subsets with no true value to the Legacy series i.e. Cornerstones and Vortex (also weren't featured in 2018)
  • Prime Draft is a welcome throwback but should stay in Prime, if they're considering redesigning older series
  • Team Leaders was a part of the Certified 17 series
  • Legacy case hit is yet another replicated case hit, in the same spirit of Influential, Footy Finest and so on
  • Legacy Historial subset is a head-scratching choice as to why only 6 clubs were selected
    • Serial-numbering on the bottom left/right corners is better placed that along the side of the card
  • Captain Signature subset was done properly across Dominance 2019-2020 with total club representation
  • Incredibly, match worn patch cards are still absent from "Series 2"
  • Great to have Hall of Fame Legend Signature series back with Kevin Sheedy
  • Hawks collectors missed out on a potential John Kennedy Snr Legends signature (if only a secret arrangement with all parties happened many, many years ago - shame the AFL upgraded legend status in his final year with us)
  • Seriously missed opportunities to not expand on the Hall of Fame theme
    • Could have a spin-off set with a signed Hall of Fame sub-series, we have legends, time to recognise the members as well
    • A set like this would've been a lot more popular with collectors and potential to spread out across Hall of Fame series'
It was an incredibly lazy release that screams a combination of 'we've run out of ideas' and 'we know people would buy Copley taking a dump in a box at this point'.

Personally I feel like with the scratching of Prestige, the six month gap between releases, the mind boggling production issues and overall meh of Gem, and a lazy and unoriginal series two, this has been Select's worst year for a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom