LCS discussion

TAB1980

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Trent
So today i went to Eastland and was excited to discover that Sunshine Collectables now have a store there.

That excitement wore off pretty quick!

When i entered, i noticed there was only a small selection of NBA and it was all retail product. But that wasn't the worst of it!

Their prices were astronomical!!! A few examples:

This years Optic Blasters $110
This years Prizm Megas $250

When i questioned the worker there, i was told the obvious... "they're imported"

Now this doesn't fly i'm afraid. For an example, don't ask me why, but this week i bought 2 Optic Blasters off ebay. By the time i get them sent to SMC and sent home, they will cost me a total of AUD$100. Less than half what Sunshine Collectibles is charging!

Now, i'm all for supporting your local LCS but i'm not going to get voluntarily fleeced in the process!

Sunshine Collectables... the days of covid rorts are over. Time to get with the program!

Last edited:
I think unfortunately for a lot of new hobby shops the feasibility for running a bricks and mortar store is going to be tough. When these guys did their figures it was based on the hype prices and it stacked up but now that we're getting back to where prices should be, they will struggle to make enough money to survive. You have seen it with breakers closing their pages because they can't fill breaks, the bricks and mortar stores will be next... (I hope I'm wrong here)

Looking at the Sunshine Collectables website they have very little sealed product and the bulk of their products are POP Figures or AFL cards. Their website looks like it is a custom built website as opposed to a build it yourself version which means they have invested some money into it. Maybe just keep your fingers crossed that they start to stock NBA hobby products and when they do that it is at fair market pricing.

I suppose a key point for those looking to sell product at a bricks and mortar store, we in the hobby are happy to pay a small premium to have the product in hand straight away but not ridiculously high prices.

The only other explanation for high prices is who is supplying them.. If it's cherry collectables, that explains a lot. I'm sure the guys at cherry are nice, but - when you're the authorised distributor for a company like panini - there's no excuse for retailing something at 400% US$ srp.

I think unfortunately for a lot of new hobby shops the feasibility for running a bricks and mortar store is going to be tough. When these guys did their figures it was based on the hype prices and it stacked up but now that we're getting back to where prices should be, they will struggle to make enough money to survive. You have seen it with breakers closing their pages because they can't fill breaks, the bricks and mortar stores will be next... (I hope I'm wrong here)

Looking at the Sunshine Collectables website they have very little sealed product and the bulk of their products are POP Figures or AFL cards. Their website looks like it is a custom built website as opposed to a build it yourself version which means they have invested some money into it. Maybe just keep your fingers crossed that they start to stock NBA hobby products and when they do that it is at fair market pricing.

I suppose a key point for those looking to sell product at a bricks and mortar store, we in the hobby are happy to pay a small premium to have the product in hand straight away but not ridiculously high prices.

While the card boom had money flying around everywhere, when the interest in the hobby cools off store owners still have to pay rent, utilities, wages, insurance etc. while those operating an online presence only don't.

Having worked in a card shop in the mid to late 90's (so long ago i know) there were days when you would have $5K in sales and there were days that barely registered $100 in sales.

The only thing that really keeps you running is diversification of products. If you are only selling trading cards then you may not be around long. If you are selling Cards along with things like Funko Pops/Lego and whatever the next latest kids craze will be then you may just hang around a bit longer!

With shops you need to have something that will keep people coming back, especially these days where you can buy everything you want from your phone/PC.

While the card boom had money flying around everywhere, when the interest in the hobby cools off store owners still have to pay rent, utilities, wages, insurance etc. while those operating an online presence only don't.

Having worked in a card shop in the mid to late 90's (so long ago i know) there were days when you would have $5K in sales and there were days that barely registered $100 in sales.

The only thing that really keeps you running is diversification of products. If you are only selling trading cards then you may not be around long. If you are selling Cards along with things like Funko Pops/Lego and whatever the next latest kids craze will be then you may just hang around a bit longer!

With shops you need to have something that will keep people coming back, especially these days where you can buy everything you want from your phone/PC.
Now it's all so clear.Those $20.00 Michael Jordan cards,that's were you got them.And telling everyone you WORKED in a card shop.You never worked,you had fun.😉
All jokes aside,it was a fun time in the 90,s going to the card shop in Blacktown.Most of the other shops didn't have the same atmosphere as Blacktown.There was never any searched boxes,which was a huge relief. And if you needed certain cards to finish off sets,you were not going to pay an arm or a leg for it.You are a 100% correct about selling cards today.You cannot just sell cards,you have too branch out and sell other things or you won't last.The only shop I have visited lately is Diggazs at Penrith and I think Michael has nailed it.Over the last 12 months I think some of the card prices have come back to earth, NRL and basketball which are the only ones I follow.Anyway if you have a local card shop in your area try to support them if there prices are reasonable.

Now it's all so clear.Those $20.00 Michael Jordan cards,that's were you got them.And telling everyone you WORKED in a card shop.You never worked,you had fun.😉
All jokes aside,it was a fun time in the 90,s going to the card shop in Blacktown.Most of the other shops didn't have the same atmosphere as Blacktown.There was never any searched boxes,which was a huge relief. And if you needed certain cards to finish off sets,you were not going to pay an arm or a leg for it.You are a 100% correct about selling cards today.You cannot just sell cards,you have too branch out and sell other things or you won't last.The only shop I have visited lately is Diggazs at Penrith and I think Michael has nailed it.Over the last 12 months I think some of the card prices have come back to earth, NRL and basketball which are the only ones I follow.Anyway if you have a local card shop in your area try to support them if there prices are reasonable.

Was lots of fun..... and I can say this that @Diggaz TC shop is sensational!

Have to find an excuse to get back there again!

It gets even worse....

20221229_122608.jpg

Get yourself to Ejs cards in Blackburn if your in SE suburbs. Or check out @clutchcardsoz in box Hill www.clutchcards.com.au

I think there's history of sunshine being like this but mostly they catered for the afl. Market.
EJs are my favourite. I love going in there and their prices are getting better with the downturn.

Scumshine get heaps of cases of AFL and rip the lot to sell on eBay. They don't sell any sealed stuff. That prick also sent an offer on a card than I accepted and then refused to pay, to jack up the comps of his card

Back
Top Bottom