Laying down - Not in the spirit of the game !!!

Ben Tone

Banned User
Real Name
B
eBay User
-
I hate this laying down and feigning for penalties in rugby league.

It is not in the spirit of the game and maybe the only way to get rid of it is to fine anyone doing it $10k.

It's not hard to tell when a player is doing it.

I also hate the surrender call when it should never have been changed from a voluntary tackle.

If you want to lay on the ground and expect a tackle to be called if someone puts a hand on you, well in my opinion you should be fair game !!!

Nice rant.

I agree laying down is becoming more and more of a blight and I think the bunker should simply stay right out of it, if it wasn't called by the ref during play and deserves punishment deal with it at the judiciary.

Why does it also always seems to happen as a low minute front rower needs to be subbed.....co-incidence for sure.

Not to worried about voluntary / surrender tackles as long as you can whack them legally as hard as you like.

Ross

Laying down is terrible but have to be sure the player isn't actually injured, sometimes hard to tell.

The protection for kickers is a joke though, gone right out the window and they are so vulnerable.

For me though the biggest blight on the games is teams deliberately giving away penalties in the red zone and not getting binned. Bring back the 5 minute sin bin

I heard someone that Parker suggested anyone who lays down should be taken off for a concussion test. As they are complaining of a head knock so they should be made to go off and be checked out. It may help to ensure only the actually injured stay down.

I heard someone that Parker suggested anyone who lays down should be taken off for a concussion test. As they are complaining of a head knock so they should be made to go off and be checked out. It may help to ensure only the actually injured stay down.
I thought that was supposed to happen anyway ?

With any rule in the game teams will find a way to exploit it to try and gain an advantage. The Roosters certainly copped a couple of ordinary penalties but what really cost them was Hastings inability to shift left and use the three man overlap

With any rule in the game teams will find a way to exploit it to try and gain an advantage. The Roosters certainly copped a couple of ordinary penalties but what really cost them was Hastings inability to shift left and use the three man overlap
Yes there was a couple of blown chances and Jackson should have passed it.

Robbo even said we may not have won in the end and the dragons might have defended but that last shit call from the bunker about the Napa tackle was obviously the final straw.

Like he said, we should have had that chance to win at the end.

Any player who hits a player in the head should also get automatic one week suspension.

Would stop Blair and Maguire smashing half backs, copping a penalty and asking if the half back is now going off for a 15 minute head check and taking a pivotal player out of play.

Cynical ploy much? Master coaching, definitely.

Like he said, we should have had that chance to win at the end.
Never should have had a chance to win at the end as if it wasn't for the missed forward pass and knock on that led to try's for the Roosters they would have lost by more than a couple of points.

Any player who hits a player in the head should also get automatic one week suspension.

Would stop Blair and Maguire smashing half backs, copping a penalty and asking if the half back is now going off for a 15 minute head check and taking a pivotal player out of play.

Cynical ploy much? Master coaching, definitely.
Chris, I agree with you except for 1 thing, the master coach thing,
Nearly every coach has played the game in some way shape or form, they would not even think about coaching a player to tackle high, we all get taught to take their legs out from under them, some ball carriers are so good they get a pass away at the same time, some players are taught to wrap the ball up 1, 2, or 3 man tackle.
Then you have some bigger blokes that are not taught to take the legs out because they can hit bigger blokes and knock them over, these are the blokes that are the thugs and keep getting the penalties against them.
If a coach was actually caught for teaching or telling players to go high.
Then that coach should be BANNED FOR LIFE.

Never should have had a chance to win at the end as if it wasn't for the missed forward pass and knock on that led to try's for the Roosters they would have lost by more than a couple of points.
The forward pass was in the same set of six that they scored, not in the scoring movement and i don't know how many times i have seen that over the years so don't know why everyone keeps going on about it.

Rein threw two forward passes in a row out of dummy half also and nothing is said.

That goes to show the incompetence of the refs and touchies.

As for the "knock on" that everyone also likes to harp on about, Matterson was in the process of putting in a kick and the defenders leg hit the ball before his boot got to it.

He never dropped the ball or lost control of it and it never hit the ground.

Never has been a knock on and never will be a knock on but i'm sure i will have someone show me the rule.

i can see where you are coming from Ben but i think the point phillip was getting at was that even though you agree with Robinson (that the roosters should of had a chance at the end to win) then based on that every poor decision from the referee needs to be consider and would that mean that would roosters of had that opportunity to win even as the score line could have been different. there is too many variables and Robinson only rants on about one indiscretion that went against them, when his team was guilty of the same.

As for Matterson's try unfortunately it is a knock-on that is the rule Section 10 of the rule book (If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball). it is considered a knock-on as it has touched the opposition in front of him, Matterson needs to learn to kick the ball earlier, this is something that will come with more experience as this isn't his first time doing it, he used to be guilty of this when playing for parramatta nyc and even then it was called back for a knock-on.

Last edited:
Guilty of the same what Jaede ?

As for that rule, Matterson didn't lose it, he was in the process of putting in a kick so it is completely different.

If he actually lost control of it then that's understandable, i myself would say it shouldn't have been a try.

I don't think there is a supporter in the game who can't claim that feel dudded by at least one decision per game. We are all passionate about our respective teams and regardless of the context in which a perceived bad decision it is likely to be costly with the comp being so tight.

Personally I would like to see consistency. The same interpretation by every ref every week. Embrace the bunker in full or not at all. The try / no try call by the on field ref is ridiculous.

The Matterson kick / try should definitely have been no try but you take the luck as it comes. While he had control of the ball as he dropped it toward his foot it is still a knock on. This is the same when a player offloads in traffic and the ball brushes the opposition defender. Technically he hasn't lost control as he is passing but hitting an opposition player makes it a knock on

meaning they were also guilty of getting away with things, just like in all games, every team has it happen to them or for them. i have given you rule whether you agree or disagree with it is up to you

Back
Top Bottom