KG SGC mail and review

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
First SGC slab I've had in hand that I can remember so I thought I'd take a few pics and do a review.

Looks great, feels solid. Very nice to hold.

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

I really like the black surrounding area - it would be particularly nice to emphasise certain colourful and even mainly one colour cards.

The label is very simple and black & white really goes nice on the black background. I like that they went to the half grades and away from the numbered up to 100 previously on the older slabs.

Slightly bigger than PSA cases obviously with the more room around the borders.

Downside is the case scratches makes it hard to photograph. And this is not an issue exclusive to SGC, it's become more common with PSA too and I think it might be a supply issue - if they are requesting 50 million cases instead of what was 5 million 5 years ago then the QC has slipped so they could make up the order in a timely manner.

This last photo on the back of the case is actually inside on the black border piece as well as on the outside so it's a bit annoying!

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9173.JPG

Case scratches are the main issue here. If you buy a protective case for a card to display - you obviously want it clear and mark-free to be able to view the card inside without any distractions!!!!!!!! They really need to pick this up and improve on this issue it's very disappointing all around.

I assume they send each slab in its own team bag and padding etc? Cards like that royal blue (or the team colour / jersey colour matches) may benefit from the HGA effect....

I assume they send each slab in its own team bag and padding etc? Cards like that royal blue (or the team colour / jersey colour matches) may benefit from the HGA effect....

I think it’s a production issue and not something after the fact. Who knows though?! So many steps along the line where they could get scratched.

No chance of using HGA - are they still in business even?? Lol

The padding inside the case, looks like the foam that Electronics, say PC graphics cards come packed in?!
The case scratching is of course a huge issue, nothing like a plastic bag around the slab, sealed in place, to protect it all.
yep, its a like a foam, i've busted a few SGC slabs.

as for the scratches, get some scratch x and rub it in and buff it. makes quite difference. i did it to mine and it worked.

Did I really just read @Essellohbeebeewhy giving advice on how to fix slabs other than breaking them out?

2023 truly is a wild time to be alive
It is often, not till you pull something apart that you really know how it works. Nobody has pulled more apart than Slobby :D

First SGC slab I've had in hand that I can remember so I thought I'd take a few pics and do a review.

Looks great, feels solid. Very nice to hold.

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

I really like the black surrounding area - it would be particularly nice to emphasise certain colourful and even mainly one colour cards.

The label is very simple and black & white really goes nice on the black background. I like that they went to the half grades and away from the numbered up to 100 previously on the older slabs.

Slightly bigger than PSA cases obviously with the more room around the borders.

Downside is the case scratches makes it hard to photograph. And this is not an issue exclusive to SGC, it's become more common with PSA too and I think it might be a supply issue - if they are requesting 50 million cases instead of what was 5 million 5 years ago then the QC has slipped so they could make up the order in a timely manner.

This last photo on the back of the case is actually inside on the black border piece as well as on the outside so it's a bit annoying!

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9173.JPG

Case scratches are the main issue here. If you buy a protective case for a card to display - you obviously want it clear and mark-free to be able to view the card inside without any distractions!!!!!!!! They really need to pick this up and improve on this issue it's very disappointing all around.
I prefer them for the darker cards (ones with a black border or a dark background). They are slightly bigger then PSA so stacking becomes an issue when grouping together.

1682332804311.jpeg

IMG_8054.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom