Lachlan
eBay User
lockymac
To the AFL?
Say it isnt so Karmichael!!
From yahoo sport:

NRL's Hunt to join Gold Coast AFL team
AAP - July 29, 2009, 8:30 am

Brisbane rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is reportedly set to announce he is switching codes to play in the AFL.

In what would be an unprecedented cross-code switch, the Nine Network on Wednesday said Hunt would join the new Gold Coast AFL franchise which joins the competition in 2011.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of the 2009 NRL competition, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

There has been speculation he could move to Japan to play rugby, but Nine says he will make his shock code-switch announcement at a press conference on the Gold Coast later on Wednesday morning.

The Auckland-born fullback has played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia since joining the Broncos in 2004.

What possible value could a 22-year old Rugby League player give to a start-up AFL club that is still 18-months away from kicking a ball for premiership points???

Maybe he's just signing up as their tackling coach and the story has grown legs??

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Wow saw that on the news too:eek:

Has that ever happened before?

Well you've got Mike Pyke (Sydney) who represented Canada in Rugby Union...but Hunt is a pretty high profile player

Seems he played a bit as a schoolboy...

From ninemsn -

Brisbane rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is switching to play AFL in a move which will rock the NRL to its foundations.

In an unprecedented cross-code switch, Hunt is to announce on Wednesday morning that he is signing with the new Gold Coast franchise which joins the AFL competition in 2011.

He will begin his new career with the Gold Coast franchise next year, with the club to commit but most likely to play in the VFL competition.

It is the first time a rugby league international has switched to play Australian Rules.

The move will intensify the fierce turf war between the strongest football codes in Australia, with rugby league in danger of suffering further raids on its most talented players, especially if Hunt makes a successful transition.

Fellow Test players Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Israel Folau are other obvious targets for AFL clubs.

Hunt played some Australian Rules as a schoolboy in Brisbane, attracting the attention of Queensland AFL scouts, before joining the Broncos as a 17-year-old in 2004.

The Auckland-born fullback has since played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of the 2009 NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

He knocked back a $1.2 million three-year deal from the Broncos earlier this year and his manager David Riolo has been overseas looking at his options.

There had been speculation he could move to Japan to play rugby, but Hunt will make his shock code-switch announcement at a press conference on the Gold Coast at 10.30am (AEST) on Wednesday

So I'm assuming they are going to pay the guy 300K PLUS coz he played high school footy in Queensland.........

I played high school footy too, maybe I should switch codes too LOL

With the AFL and its rort of the salary cap for Queensland teams I'm sure they will find more money for the FA's they are after but STILL surely he takes a chunk out of that money. And all for a guy that is completely unproven.

As a QLDer its a happy day have never liked the bloke and he should have never been allowed to represent our great state being a kiwi. Still he is a decent player but with his off field behaviour I don't think it's really that much of a loss to league. Could have helped some of the more struggling teams in the comp but with the money he was after there is no chance he could return that value to any team.

Honestly, who cares?

He is just an overpaid, overrated player who has been stuffing his club and the NRL around for too long with his inability to make a decision.

Good riddance

Why would Hunt play for less than what he could get in the NRL, surely the Gold Coast wouldn't waste those kinda $$$$$$ on an unknown???

I just don't get it from either side of the fence, sure there's an element payback through marketing for the GC etc but as a new club they don't need the novelty to attract interest, surely success on the field would be more of a priority?

Anyway as said who really cares.

Ross

Why would Hunt play for less than what he could get in the NRL, surely the Gold Coast wouldn't waste those kinda $$$$$$ on an unknown???

I just don't get it from either side of the fence, sure there's an element payback through marketing for the GC etc but as a new club they don't need the novelty to attract interest, surely success on the field would be more of a priority?

Anyway as said who really cares.

Ross

If you want novelty for marketing purposes you'd have to consider Warwick Capper wouldn't you???;):woot::p

Great work ethic, Solid and Smart player.......i would be filthy if i supported the Broncos, however he was leaving anyway so it doesnt really matter where he went.
He will put bums on seats for a while, however once the novelty wears off, you just have a nobody eating up valuable cap space......sorta sounds like the Sharks come to think of it. :rolleyes:

Growing up Hunt played basketball, any person who played basketball growing up will have extra abilities that will comply with any sport. He has the Broncos mentality, a true champion. and he is only 22 and he can mark the ball quite well. I am very sad to see him go as a Broncos supporter, but extremely excited as a AFL fan. I have seen him play his first grade game (NRL) at 17, his ability then was amazing as it is now. he has the niche to play in any code!

i've actually played bball with him a few years ago down at a local court.

if he can play afl as well as bball then he's gonna be a good pickup for the GC

Good old Sheedy tried recruiting Inglis few years back, said he was a ready made player. Folau would be a damaging forward and Slater would be a gun midfielder. Any chance of Barry Hall playing origin for Qld next year? LOL

Good old Sheedy tried recruiting Inglis few years back, said he was a ready made player. Folau would be a damaging forward and Slater would be a gun midfielder. Any chance of Barry Hall playing origin for Qld next year? LOL

nah nsw needs all the help they can

keep him in sydney :)

Back
Top Bottom