How to deal with morons...

jimmy jackson

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jimmy
So... I've noticed that this site is having a bit of trouble with numbnuts signing up and causing trouble or otherwise acting like asspapers. From what I can see, the community strategy here is to give them curry and then ban the member (or make their ID hellish to use).

I think something that would be helpful would be some kind of Etiquette sticky that we can refer these members to. Perhaps some of these cases are miscommunications/genuine once off mistakes... But when everyone jumps on their nuts, it is natural that they are going to react in a way that results in their termination.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that it could be a first port of call - "Hey mate, please take a look at these forum guidelines". If they don't "get it" then fair enough.. do what you gotta do.

I would be happy to help in writing something up.

What do y'all think? :rolleyes:

yeah i think thats a good idea, but some of them have just been tools, and i dont think any type of advice on how to act would have stopped them from being a wang ,but yep definately a good idea ;)

I also agree jimmy... an etiquette sort of guideline would be good not for just a newbie like me :) but for everyone.

There are genuine mistakes that can be said here so that is a good idea and maybe stick it with the new members guidelines...

jimmy jackson said:
So... I've noticed that this site is having a bit of trouble with numbnuts signing up and causing trouble or otherwise acting like asspapers. From what I can see, the community strategy here is to give them curry and then ban the member (or make their ID hellish to use).

I think something that would be helpful would be some kind of Etiquette sticky that we can refer these members to. Perhaps some of these cases are miscommunications/genuine once off mistakes... But when everyone jumps on their nuts, it is natural that they are going to react in a way that results in their termination.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that it could be a first port of call - "Hey mate, please take a look at these forum guidelines". If they don't "get it" then fair enough.. do what you gotta do.

I would be happy to help in writing something up.

What do y'all think? :rolleyes:

Jimmy, I thought your a wise head on young shoulders. I worship the ground you walk on. Type them up and PM them to Graham, who'll do the rest.

Graham, is there also any chance of them agreeing to these guidelines before they sign up???

Also, I think a little more tolerance from members on here should prevail. It seems there are a few who like to jump on another member first sign of trouble, where they may have made an innocent mistake. If they continue acting this way (T'wolves, RayAllen, anthonypower), then fine jump all over them, but let them learn from their mistake.

Anyway, them's my thoughts.

While we are exchanging thoughts....
Heres mine.... time and time again ive seen rather colourfull languge from some of the members.
Now we have a great bunch of people here but its disapointing to see individuals carrying on like a 14 yr old school boy who feels he needs to get a point across.
While i agree that the fools who from time to time really get our goats up (me included).
But using every swear word known to man to get a cheap laugh or to put some1 down ,(in my opinion) drags this site down.
If you feel the need to $#@*&%$%^ do it via pm !!!
Anyway there my thoughts..
happy collecting you %$*(%$...hehe

carrying on like a 14 yr old

Some members here fit that description! :)

I agree with you, swearing and the like doesn't bother me, but it can get bad if the remarks are directed at somebody, ala name calling and such. Not much phases me, I just let things slip, but have noticed harsher and harsher comments being made...what I do...is just stay out of the conversation, got nothing nice to say then don't say anything!

Everyone has gotta turn there defensiveness down a couple of notches and take the hit...unless it gets to a point where they do have to stand up for themselves.

OOps sorry about that...wasnt a shot at all 14 yr olds...
People of all ages can carry on like fools ..

Wise comments JJ, perhaps there could be something implemented for the users to agree upon prior to registering on here.

I still think we need a "Shit List" wether it be just Ebay IDs, Beckett Members, etc, etc...

Also, the use of "colorful language"..... I think you'll find that 99.99% of the time, it's not directed at anyone, or if it was, it would be simply for entertainment value.

Dont think I've seen a lot of comments directed at individuals to put them down, or piss them off.

And as for our underage members... I'm sure they've heard it all before.... it's a fact of life, you can live as a saint, you can bring your children up as saints, but send them to school, and they'll still be a saint, just with a few more words added to their vocabulary......

Chillout fuckers...

MavsMan© said:
Also, the use of "colorful language"..... I think you'll find that 99.99% of the time, it's not directed at anyone, or if it was, it would be simply for entertainment value.

Dont think I've seen a lot of comments directed at individuals to put them down, or piss them off.

And as for our underage members... I'm sure they've heard it all before.... it's a fact of life, you can live as a saint, you can bring your children up as saints, but send them to school, and they'll still be a saint, just with a few more words added to their vocabulary......

Chillout fuckers...

Maybe they have heard it before, and or use it daily, but why promote the use on here. I use to use them daily, but a good friend once told me this, and I have to say I agree. Using "colourful language" is a sign of unimagination and laziness (use of thesaurus). I'm not saying I am a saint, far from it, as I still tend to use colourful language when I don't need to.

Anyway, my rants again. I still respect you as another collector, MavsMan, but I just disagree with you on this issue.

ok i am agreeing with both sides here. But i believe if a member has a problem with another member they should advise either me or Graham (or both for that matter). We will do the right thing and give them a chance to explain themselves or whatever the problem maybe we will give them a chance to redeem themselves.

I do think its harsh when everyone jumps on someone's back and i think it needs to stop. I agree with the guidlines idea. Jimmy ill PM ya for more info mate.

I want new members to feel right at home when they join and if they make a mistake we can help them fix the prob and so on... rather than pick on it.

I think its just unfair if somebody has a problem with another member and then other members jump on the bandwagon. If it's not your business then keep clear, simple as that!

Ok, im gonna catch up with Jimmy J on gettin some rules put up for ALL MEMBERS to follow. If anyone on here cant follow them, or breaks one they will be temporarily suspended from the forums for a duration. i think this will help cut out some of the trash thats been talked of late, what you guys think?

No heat Clarkey, I got no beef.

I tend to only use the swearing if
1) I'm pissed at someone
2) I'm pissed all together (LMAO)
3) If something is so obvious, it just makes ya say "for fuck's sake, etc"

I'm going to bed now, goodnight all you sexual intercourse practitioners.......

its a good idea, but it shouldn't be necessary...if it was a perfect world. maybe there should be a team of "senior" members who are trusted members who could vote on the outcome of an "issue" experoenced on these forums?

Guys please stay on topic. This is about dealing with new members who seem to cause trouble, not about the use of language (start a different thread for that).

What I'm saying is that some basic etiquette guidelines could sort out those who have made genuine mistakes from those who are clearly just here to cause trouble.

Just like in sports betting... There are many "unsaid" rules. I wrote these for a well known sports betting site punterslounge... Something similar but obviously related to this site is what I was thinking of ...

Sports Betting Forum Etiquette

The Internet etiquette or "netiquette" at sports betting forums involves some behavioural guidelines that are not present at most other online forums.

*It is considered a "jinx" when members use "sure thing" language when posting predictions. Commonly frowned upon terms include "a lock", "a guaranteed winner", or an outcome that is "in the bag" before it has been played.

*Spam is not popular on most forums, but it is treated particularly harshly on sports betting forums. Spammers who try to promote their sports books or tipping services are often ridiculed before being banned (and having their IP address blocked).

*While it is expected that bettors who have a good win will write celebratory posts, it is considered bad etiquette to boast about your win on a thread created by another member who did not fare so well. Sports betting involves real money and is taken seriously by the individuals involved. Posts of this nature are considered confrontational and often result in flame wars.

*When making a prediction on a sports betting forum, members are expected to provide a rationale for their "play" (as shown above). Simply stating the teams that you think will win does not help other members of the sports betting community.

*Members of sports betting forums are expected to post their predictions before the event. Celebrations about bets that were never posted usually lead to flame wars.

*While sharing experiences of betting agencies is encouraged, these threads are usually tightly moderated. The online sports betting community is a small one and word travels quickly. It is therefore important that members clearly explain their issues with the agency and that the thread does not deteriorate into mindless slander.

Good thoughts there Fabio
I mean Jimmy
There are some boards out there, non sports related, which are just forums for people to abuse everyone and everything
It's a good idea to highlight to people at the outset that such behaviour is not acceptable here
If people are informed of that, and then contravene those guidelines, then at least they do do knowingly, and appropriate action can be taken.

Back
Top Bottom