How NOT to finish a set chase - Part 2

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Yes, beleive it or not I messed up a second set chase in the exact opposite manner. I thought I had finished the set but in looking back was one card short! D'oh! Worst..........feeling..........ever!

This set was from 00 01 Topps Fineset - Man 2 Man which was comparing the the two #1 picks from 1997 and 1999. Bit of an odd timing, but by then I assume by they knew Olowokandi, Kenyon Martin or Kwame Brown weren't going to be 'the man'. Great idea for a product anyway. NOt exactly high nd, but fell 1 in 27 for pack odds.

Anyhoo, the two players are comapred in five categories each with a differnet colour and write up on the back each cateogry has the two cards slot together jigsaw style. In true Topps Finest fashion the colours are bright and vivid with a nice sheen and the tell tale line marks / etching on the player unforms. Pieces fit together perfectly, which isnothing to be overlooked ina day and age of serious centering issues.

Really nice cards in hand, just hard to describe them or photograph them, but if you;re familiar with Topps Fineset products you'll know what I mean. Even the card backs are nice and have good write ups. Pictures matching the card and ability being focussed on is good attention to detail too. For a guy who likes collecting the dominant bigs - it is good to see an insert series focussed on the true low-post players as well.

Rebound - Tim Duncan - Card Back titled Glass Cleaner

Duncan T.jpg

Rebound - Elton Brand - Card Back titled Bull Boards

Brand E.jpg

Post Up - Tim Duncan - Card Back titled Crafty Post Man

Duncan T (2).jpg

Post Up - Elton Brand - Card Back titled Bulll Dozer

Brand E (2).jpg

Dunk - Tim Duncan - Card Back titled Slam Duncan

Duncan T (3).jpg

Dunk - Elton Brand - Card Back titled Brand Jams - slamming on a fellow #1 pick who was er, overlooked for this set.

Brand E (3).jpg

Shoot - Tim Duncan - Card Back titled Texas Banker

Duncan T (4).jpg

Shoot - Elton Brand - Card Back titled Bull's Eye Shooter

Brand E (4).jpg

Block - Tim Duncan - Card Back titled Leather Rejector - inadvertently not purchased - now in transit!

Block - Elton Brand - Card Back titled Formida-bull

Brand E (5).jpg

Obligatory 'almost group' shot.... Stay organised folks! Finish a set chase properly.

418871200_3620688984840363_7642786699703085305_n.jpg

418871200_3620688984840363_7642786699703085305_n.jpg

Nice.

Cool cards and a great idea, even if it looks comically one sided these days Brand was a pretty good player in 2000-01.

I enjoy the different names for each card back, some good names in there.

You will have to update one the "overlooked" card arrives.

Nice.

Cool cards and a great idea, even if it looks comically one sided these days Brand was a pretty good player in 2000-01.

I enjoy the different names for each card back, some good names in there.

You will have to update one the "overlooked" card arrives.
In 00 -01 it was year two Elton Brand who put up hsi second 20-10 year in a row and was looking like the next big thing.

Part of the allure of these cards is looking back at the time with 100% hindsight and reading it all back. Imagien if it was duncan and Yao or something similar - iconic set.

Missing card is on its way. OCD kicks in hard with these type of abysmal set chase finishes!

In 00 -01 it was year two Elton Brand who put up hsi second 20-10 year in a row and was looking like the next big thing.

Part of the allure of these cards is looking back at the time with 100% hindsight and reading it all back. Imagien if it was duncan and Yao or something similar - iconic set.

Missing card is on its way. OCD kicks in hard with these type of abysmal set chase finishes!

Brand was certainly a beast back then, I remember him well.

As you say hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I miss the gimmicky die cut sets. Nice stuff skip
You haven't been paying attention to the amount of gimmicky Panini die cuts? Hopefully still some new ultra modern product around for the man with the scorpion sig....

Wow, what an interesting idea for a set.

That's what I like about the older pre Panini era, more innovation and less replication.

great set, first one i've seen completed too! great work! which one was the last one you got?

Tim Duncan block s incoming to finish it off. Blocks and dunks seem hardest to track down and seem to go for a premium.

Back
Top Bottom