Brplat

Penrith Panthers 3-PEAT 2021/2022/2023 Premiers
Real Name
Loz
eBay User
Brplat
The Indomitables
the 1946 Rugby League Lions Tour of Australia and New Zealand

Hello everyone, I have a unique item here and I would love some information on it! Mainly its value or even estimated value. I hope someone here can help me out!

FRAMED1.jpg

Now ive done my research on this – I found this book on Ebay (link below) The Indomitables - The 1946 Rugby League Lions Tour on eBay, also, Non-Fiction Books, Books, Comics Magazines (end time 09-May-09 17:05:12 BST)
It states “The 1946 Rugby League Lions tour to Australia and New Zealand was a remarkable campaign. It marked the relaunch of international rugby league in a world still devastated by the Second World War. It was also a great success for the Lions. They won the Ashes and were the first team to be unbeaten in an Ashes series, despite an infamous sending-off in the first test.

The players travelled to Australia on the Aircraft Carrier HMS Indomitable. They faced a gruelling schedule, playing 20 games in Australia in two months, and a further seven in New Zealand.

This is the full story of one of the greatest Rugby League Lions tours ever. The touring party included some great British players, including Gus Risman, Tommy McCue, Eric Batten, Ernest Ward, Ike Owens, Joe Egan, Trevor Foster, Willie Horne, Willie Davies, Martin Ryan, Ken Gee and Doug Phillips.”

Now by that, i know that this was the winning team from that tour. And that they were UNBEATEN and were the first team to do so in an Ashes series.

The printing I can see gives some light on the photo. It says “British Rugby League Touring Team Australasian Tour 1946” across the top. At first glance I thought the actual photo was taken in a Sydney football stadium, this was proven to be correct when I read in small print “Melba studios Sydney NSW” on the bottom.

The frame measures 105cm by 32cm. It is in a timber embossed frame which is silver in colour. The whole piece is in great condition when you think of its age.
FRAMED2.jpg

FRAMED3.jpg

FRAMED4.jpg

There are 28 people in the photo. 26 are players and the two on either end are Team and Business managers. Only their first initial and last name are printed below them (e.g. “G.Risman”) They appear from left to right as follows:

W. Popplewell(Team Manager)

Tommy Mc Cue (Vice Captain)

Bryn Knowelden

Ken Gee - won Lancashire Cup winner's medals seven times

Joe Egan
- most appearances of any player for the England national team with 21.

Willie Horne - inducted into the Barrow club's Hall of Fame in 2001

Joseph Jones

George Curran

Robert Nicholson

Jimmy Lewthwaite - legendary status with Barrow, scoring a club record 351 tries and kicking 20 goals in exactly 500 appearances from 1943-57.
- inducted into the Barrow club’s Hall of Fame in 2001

Edward Ward

Trevor Foster
- inducted into Welsh Sports Hall of Fame.
- was named in Bradford's team of the Century.

Ike Owens

Douglas Phillips

Gus Risman (Captain) - inducted into the Rugby League Hall of Fame in 1988

John Kitching

Ernest Ward
- inducted into the Bradford Bulls/Bradford Northern Hall of Fame.
- named Bradford's team of the Century.
- 3rd in the list of England's all-time Goal Scorers (behind George Fairbairn, & Andrew Farrell, with 58 points he is 3rd in the list of England's all-time Point Scorers (behind George Fairbairn, & Andrew Farrell)

Harry Murphy - played for England, Yorkshire, and Great Britain, touring twice.

Leslie White - representative level has played for; Yorkshire, England, Great Britain

Frank Whitcombe

F. Hughes ???? Don’t even know his first name – can’t find him anywhere!

Arthur Bassett

Eric Batten

Martin Ryan - club career brought him 67 tries, as well as 63 goals in his occasional role as a place-kicker
- he only played four games because of injury.

Albert Johnstone

Willie Davies - inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame.
- He played in the tour's final Test in New Zealand and at point became a dual-code rugby international.

David Jenkins

W. Gabbatt (Business Manager)

Im not looking to sell it. Im just curious to its value and if it is something worth keeping. I have had it for many years and it has been stored all that time.

Who do you think would be interested in this item also? I personally think it could have some real value to it!:D:thumbsup::D:blink:

Brplat

Small bump to the top...come on someone must have something to say about this!
brplat

i really don't know myself but it does look quite good, you would have to imagine that it would be worth a bit surely :)

Cheers dave

i will definately be keeping this safe :) as soon as i saw the year i thought that it could be worth abit (Well i hoped it was worth something decent :)) Good condition for something of its age
Brplat

Check with MELBA studios...I am pretty sure they produced these and may know a value......it really should be in a hall of fame but the NRL dont seem to think that would be worthwhile....

JFI....

I have a blazer given to me by Wal Crust ...it was the blazer given to the Penrith Panthers 2nd division team that beat Wentworthville in 1966 to enter the NSWRL....

It is really rare and has is a huge collectible for a Panthers fan but unfortunately I have no where to have it displayed....

Wally asked me not to pas it onto the Panthers unless it was to be displayed in a museum.....

a bit like your photo...great value and really should be in a museum but the rugby league does not have one.......

Check with MELBA studios...I am pretty sure they produced these and may know a value......it really should be in a hall of fame but the NRL dont seem to think that would be worthwhile....

It should be in a hall of fame....i agree. Its a real shame that there is nothing set up for the NRL to preserve rare pieces like this. One day things like this wont be seen at all, All that history lost :(
brplat

Would think it would be around the $400-$700 mark give or take if its tailored to the right market correctly and is an original shot not one of the reprint pictures that go around the traps alot of the time of late

Back
Top Bottom