Good o'l BGS again!

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
I know this wont effect any of you guys but I think its crap! Damn right lazy! Knowing the one flaw is not a bad thing. Some sets of vintage has specific problems (surface, centering) Take my 1961 fleer Sam Jones RC BVG 5. It has one sub bringing it down and the rest are sweet. I really wanted a centered one or close to as thats the hard part. So I got a good centered one and gave up one sub. Otherwise its an expensive card in the $100's of US dollars.

How does the sub grade system confuse people??? Anyway read on.

In September of 2001, Beckett Grading was the first third-party authentication service to create a system of grading vintage cards that took into account their unique characteristics. Vintage cards were produced using technology that is a far cry from the modern printing techniques used today, and it was only fair that they have their own grading system to match.

Reaction to this new method was positive, and Beckett Vintage Grading made great inroads into the market. After four years of garnering opinions from BVG customers, there has been one overwhelming request: convert BVG to a single grade system without subgrades. We are happy to announce that on November 1st, we will be taking this new step.

For most, this is a welcome conversion, while others of you may wonder how less can somehow be more. On modern cards, a subgrade system is critical in determining the exact breakdown of a card’s highlights as well as its faults. It’s rare that a single subgrade be considerably lower than the other three on most modern cards. On a vintage card, a single fault in one area (highly off-center, heavy surface print defects, excessively rounded corners, etc.) is much more common.

While subgrades did point out the best aspects of a vintage card, many times they focused attention on that one critical flaw that stood out most glaringly on the Report Card. Moving to a single grade system will better allow a vintage card to stand on its overall positive aesthetic merits instead of drawing excess attention to its lowest subgrade.

Along with this change, we will also be discontinuing the $1 surcharge for vintage cards. Not only does this mean more savings for you, but it will also greatly simplify the submission process. A key requirement when we began Beckett Grading nearly seven years ago was making it simple for anyone to submit a card. No clubs to join, no need to submit through a middleman, and no complicated pricing chart based on the value of each individual card. Dropping the BVG surcharge means there is now only one simple submission form to use and one basic pricing structure.

In a constantly changing industry, Beckett Media always wants to hear from you. What can we do to continually improve all of our services to best meet the needs of you, the collectors and dealers who drive this hobby? Email your thoughts to us here.

Mark Anderson
Manager of Beckett Grading Operations

I read about this once before.

So this is a bad thing for Vintage Cards dude??

Does this mean that the subgrades from BVG will go, and they will only give the final grade? How will they determine that? Perhaps the subs will only be removed from the Slabs? They'll probably sub-grade them on the spot, then grade overall or something??

I personally think its a bad thing. Changing labels all the time stuffs up set collectors too. First BGS had grades on the back and now the front. Now BVG is doing away with them altogether!

I can't see how it hurts to have them there. BVG was losing ground on PSA and to a bigger extent SGC so no big deal. I'll buy those over BVG anyday anyway. BVG are a little too tolerant and I've found them to be to inconsistent with grades. Two BVG 7's are never alike it seems???

My guess it they are tying to mimike psa's one grade system. Not sure if they will still do the subs on the grading forms etc for you to see. I'll ask.

Back
Top Bottom