Get well soon Jimmy....

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
The title says it all really :thumbsup:

Sure its not great for my club but the health of the big man comes first. Is there a better champion bloke in the country? Champion player, champion of the kids and those in need, as hands on as you can get, top family man and true club man.

Every Dee's and I dare say every AFL wishes you all the best in getting well again.

I hope the boys stand up this weekend like they haven't for the last three and show some heart for the club in this time of need.

Jimmy has allways put his heart and soul into the club, as a player and recently as president. Hope its not too serious, and it would be good for the boys to put in a decent game this week.

yup..............

REVEALED: MELBOURNE Football Club president Jim Stynes is fighting a health problem that threatens his future with the club.

Stynes, 43, is believed to have told board members, senior staff and friends tonight that he may have to stand down. A media conference is expected this morning.

The 1991 Brownlow medallist and former ruck great is understood to face surgery later this week.

He was unavailable for comment tonight.

The Irishman, who came to Australia in the mid-1980s and played 264 games with the Demons, is married with young children.

Stynes is in his second season as president after replacing Paul Gardner mid-season last year.

He represents one of the most inspiring stories in the game, playing a record 244 games in a row from 1987-98. He has been described as "Australia's most successful sporting experiment''.

Stynes was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2003 and Melbourne's Hall of Fame in 2006.

He was named Victorian of the Year in 2001 and 2003 for his work with the Reach Foundation, a group committed to helping youth.

Since taking over the presidency he has preached persistence and optimism, with the promise of ultimate success for players and fans.

Earlier this year, he sat with the cheer squad behind the goals at the MCG during a Melbourne game.

I can't believe this hasn't been bumped yet..

Jimmy was pretty upset at the press conference and he is having surgery for his cancer this week. The cancer has spread and he has a fight on his hands it seems. If anyone can get over this its the mighty Jim Stynes who played thru 246 games straight with injuries and the like and the get go he has. His young family is even more that will spur him on and when talking about his kids he was visibly upset as you can understand.

I like many will be there on the weekend in green like the club and fans have suggested in our own bid to give big Jimmy the luck of the Irish and show our support. Green is an easy colour for me to wear after all. ;-)

As a Brisbane supporter, I still greatly acknowledge all the things he has done for the Culture of our game, the Melbourne Football Club, and as generalization, the AFL.
He's a very genuine man and my friend (a Dee's supporter) keeps all the messages he personally sends to the Melbourne supporters to tell them to get behind the team and turn up to the following. He is obviously a very dedicated and devoted man.
All the best to him in his battle of cancer!

hey mate his not going to get well he has cancer

What a plain STUPID remark. :rolleyes:

Cancer isn't a death sentence especially here in Australia and Melbourne of all places where P Mac and other services give some of the best treatment worldwide.

You might take that as a personal attack but that comment is just plain ignorant.

hey mate his not going to get well he has cancer
:blink::rolleyes::mad:#-o
That is the stupidest call i have ever heard in my life. Haven't you ever heard of a cancer SURVIVOR ... ?
It is not a incurable disease, but it is still an uphill battle.

Anyway back on topic, Even though i have never liked Melbourne (and never will :lol::p) Jimmy was always in my top 5 favourite players. It was a great pleasure to meet him a couple of years ago. His warmth and care shown toward anyone in the community is amazing.

It is the Melbourne Football Clubs great loss.

Get better Jimmy, Your a Champion

no i wrote the wrong thing sorry i just meant to say he has cancer

sorry

Do people even read threads around here any more? How often do people repeat themselves to others that simply read the thread title and then post only to be told about something 4 posts above theirs......

Cancer is a very personal issue to my family, but I can only begin to imagine what Jim and his family are going through with this news. Knowing that it has spread already is not the best news, but with surgery, chemo, radio and support, he is in for a big fight but also a hell of a lot of support.

Our thoughts are with you tonight and all through this battle Jim...fight it hard and stay positive big guy. :thumbsup:

Jim is a class act and I hope that it all works out for him!

Get well soon!!!

Cheers
Matt

What a great effort from a club that has failed all previous big sentimental games such as Neita's 300th, Neita's last game, Yze's last game and Broadbridge tribute game to deliver.

Pretty easy to put 20 players in our best for yesterday, that simple. By all reports Jimmy saw it on TV and I'm sure he was proud of the intensity and ability to maintain it and keep the emotion under check of some sort.

Ordinary? If the Dee's DIDN'T stand up for Jimmy yesterday you would of said the same thing, easy target really.

great to see how much it meant to the club to win it for jim... very emotionally charged stuff

the dees actually set the second highest tackle count in afl history for a first half... thats how pumped they were... i love when the dees song is sung with immense gusto, its a cool tune

Back
Top Bottom