ESP Elite 2015 Official Thread (Sell Sheet Page 44)

Why does everyone assume the volume of cards is the problem. Maybe i am wrong but i thought the main thing that will cost more is because of the price increase.

I assume dealers try to make roughly cost + $x in profit on top of that regardless of how many cards there is. I.e if more cards in the series the cost per card is less. I assume thats why select parrallels were always worth closer to $1 each while esps struggle to be worth 30 cents. So I figure I get more cards for my $x which isnt too bad. This of course is just based on buying from dealers. I am not talking about if people drive price up by buying all of one card like with souths golds last year and esp can't be blamed for that. E.g the duos from traders cost alot more then other sigs with similar print runs etc presumably because there wasn't alot of other ways for dealers to get their money back.

Obviously we will pay more this yr bc of the huge price jump. Which is a big issue for a lot of people and understandably so.

For me i think the parallels are a major detractor that esp struggles to listen to. They really just feel like spending money for the sake of it, even buying the bulldogs ones (my main collection) i don't get excited about them at all. The fact they have made them harder and probably more expensive makes me wonder if ppl will bother.

I like the fact they have listened from last year and not repeated the 1/1 mistake, although I fear the damage was already done last year and can't be repaired, as i'll see how The dogs cards go this time round but if it cost too much it is now easier to say no to them knowing I basically can't ever get everything so money might be better spent elsewhere.

That said credit to esp that they have tried to come up with some new concepts etc. time will tell if its a sucess or not. Hopefully it works.

How much are you guys willing to pay for the Thurston or Inglis indigenous card?? Limited to 100 each. And only 1 per case????
Got a feeling ill get one LOL

With this release, it seems that ESP are pushing towards more of a "US sports card" format. Parallels galore, big numbers on insert sets, jersey cards etc.

But it looks so pretty :)

JLprizm_zpsed53fe85.jpg

Why does everyone assume the volume of cards is the problem. Maybe i am wrong but i thought the main thing that will cost more is because of the price increase.

I assume dealers try to make roughly cost + $x in profit on top of that regardless of how many cards there is. I.e if more cards in the series the cost per card is less. I assume thats why select parrallels were always worth closer to $1 each while esps struggle to be worth 30 cents. So I figure I get more cards for my $x which isnt too bad. This of course is just based on buying from dealers. I am not talking about if people drive price up by buying all of one card like with souths golds last year and esp can't be blamed for that. E.g the duos from traders cost alot more then other sigs with similar print runs etc presumably because there wasn't alot of other ways for dealers to get their money back.

Obviously we will pay more this yr bc of the huge price jump. Which is a big issue for a lot of people and understandably so.

For me i think the parallels are a major detractor that esp struggles to listen to. They really just feel like spending money for the sake of it, even buying the bulldogs ones (my main collection) i don't get excited about them at all. The fact they have made them harder and probably more expensive makes me wonder if ppl will bother.

I like the fact they have listened from last year and not repeated the 1/1 mistake, although I fear the damage was already done last year and can't be repaired, as i'll see how The dogs cards go this time round but if it cost too much it is now easier to say no to them knowing I basically can't ever get everything so money might be better spent elsewhere.

That said credit to esp that they have tried to come up with some new concepts etc. time will tell if its a sucess or not. Hopefully it works.
Richard, fact is they have not listened to the collectors, I was taught in school way back when we had to listen or fail, not reading shit of computers and doing stupid laplan tests like they do now, first rule in retail business is they have to make a 200% margin, why do you see business's advertising up to 50, 70%, because they have those margins to work with, same as woolies , coles etc, they can advertise savings and still make a profit.
ESP, pay for an image once and once only, so they use it as many times as they want in whatever format they choose, and pay once.
Esp you have 15 months left on your contract, I hope the Nrl does not renew it, so we can a new manufacturer that listens.

Richard, fact is they have not listened to the collectors, I was taught in school way back when we had to listen or fail, not reading s*** of computers and doing stupid laplan tests like they do now, first rule in retail business is they have to make a 200% margin, why do you see business's advertising up to 50, 70%, because they have those margins to work with, same as woolies , coles etc, they can advertise savings and still make a profit.
ESP, pay for an image once and once only, so they use it as many times as they want in whatever format they choose, and pay once.
Esp you have 15 months left on your contract, I hope the Nrl does not renew it, so we can a new manufacturer that listens.

So back to Select you reckon, love those Champions series :crazy:

Have you seen the crap they have been dishing out AFL collectors this year?

I do think ESP have too many parallel cards in each series.

With 2015 Elite, I think getting rid of the 1:2 silvers would be a good way of reducing the volume of cards & reducing RRP and in a way help with the series maintaining its value. E.g. 2014 golds 1:3 held good value and they still do, the 2014 silvers 1:1 you can barely give away.

That said, its not ESP dumping cards in the reseller market so I'm not sure how much blame for loss of value you can truly attribute to them.

With parallels having the same image, this was addressed by ESP last year so I'm not sure why its still an issue:
http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/comm...wers-are-in-page-7.172904/page-7#post-1519492
Would everyone prefer different imaging on the gold parallels at $8.99 per pack? They are a business, increased costs need to be passed to the consumer.

ESP do listen to collectors in a number of areas, case in point, they are no longer doing 1/1's and are now numbering all low run inserts. Hopefully they start understanding collectors parallel concerns sooner rather than later.

The only other downer (apart from the number of parallels) for me is I really would prefer ESP release checklists and preview sheets well in advance. I struggle to see a genuine reason why ESP holds this back from the market.

I'm really looking forward to the series (based on what we know!!), way more positives than negatives for mine, love the MOJO pack idea even if its a parallel!! I just really hope the product stacks up visually.

Well said Scotty,

However I would say No is an answer but does not really address the issue

"No, this is not something we would be looking at doing."

For me a single parallel set with same image is not an issue (not really a parallel if different) it is the potential 4 sets of parallels that I find over the top.

Ross

I will be interested to see how well this set sells.
Last years set sold out but was that due to popularity or were people just trying to hunt down the 1/1 cards.
This year given the price jump and the fact that you can't even complete a lower set of parallels with one case will people limit themselves to what they buy from dealers, maybe a bit of trade bait for what they want and look to the secondary markets to complete there sets.

its a pity there is less quality signatures to collect this time especially with the price rise.
its hard not to buy though when you have an addiction lol.

Yeah, that's probably my main disappointment in terms of what's not there. The League Sensation signature had been a highlight of the year for me in collecting terms (well it would have been last year if not for the player they chose, before anyone calls me out! :lol: ).

its a pity there is less quality signatures to collect this time especially with the price rise.
its hard not to buy though when you have an addiction lol.
Agreed, signatures in my eyes are where the money and value is. The idea that the player has physically touched and signed the card is what got me into collecting in the first place back when I was a child, which is why I guess I am not seeing the value in the other cards, I guess thats just me tho, if I look at the US market and the basketball cards, a lot of the mid-high end cards are not signatures and some of the jersey cards are worth almost nothing.

I hope I am way off on the pricing I guessed at a few pages back as several people seem to think I've estimated on the low end, however I would be keen to know which cards in particular are off as adjusting small amounts either way (up or down) isnt going to make much of a difference, unless they are significantly undervalued - which as I said in the original post, is very possible

There are so many speculative pros and cons about this set at the moment, but for most collectors it's all going to hinge on that checklist and how this set presents. Some are already out, some are on the fence but remember, we all like footy cards, right? ;)

Yes, patches are from match worn jerseys in the Sem-Finals last year. The game that the Jersey was used in will be stated on the card.
Thanks Michael, do we know what players have worn them ? I hope it doesn't state something like " this is an official match worn jersey patch from the semi final between x and x"

1x Complete base Set $15
9x Parrallel $2ea = $18
9x Parrallel Gold $4ea = $36
5x Elite Pennants $7ea = $35
2x 2014 Club Champions $10ea = $20
2x Young Guns $40ea = $80
2x Elite Quads $60 ea = $120
1x Young Gun Signatures $70
1x Ltd Edition MOJO Team Set $300
1x Road to Final Jersey $250
1x Road to Final Jersey Signature $600
1x All Stars / Indigenous 2015 $150
1x Case Card $60

Total being $1754, $1154 without the Sig jersey.
Agreed, signatures in my eyes are where the money and value is. The idea that the player has physically touched and signed the card is what got me into collecting in the first place back when I was a child, which is why I guess I am not seeing the value in the other cards, I guess thats just me tho, if I look at the US market and the basketball cards, a lot of the mid-high end cards are not signatures and some of the jersey cards are worth almost nothing.

I hope I am way off on the pricing I guessed at a few pages back as several people seem to think I've estimated on the low end, however I would be keen to know which cards in particular are off as adjusting small amounts either way (up or down) isnt going to make much of a difference, unless they are significantly undervalued - which as I said in the original post, is very possible

Its really hard to say sight unseen but I don't think this pricing from your earlier post will be too far out, some more some less, although I think initially the Young Gun signature will be more like $120, Quads as well maybe more at 1 per box.

Ross

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, do we know what players have worn them ? I hope it doesn't state something like " this is an official match worn jersey patch from the semi final between x and x"

I would prefer if it stated it was actually from the finals game between X and Y, otherwise it could be a match warn jersey from a pre-season trial match or a backyard "match" between the player and his next door neighbors! I mean I think that's unlikely but you never know! Have to pay real good attention to the wording they use :) as I remember reading somewhere some of the memorabilia cards are from things like photoshoots or practice matches, I think it was for NBA or maybe some of the non-sport stuff, memory isn't that great....

Why do you think it would be a bad idea to specify the game it was used in?

One rumour I did hear was that the teams who didn't get a jersey card / jersey signature would get another numbered high end card. Aside from a team set in a mojo pack that opens up the Indigenous / All Stars set. If true that would mean only 13/16 teams get a higher end card.

I certainly hope Croker gets one from the All Star team!

Back
Top Bottom