Does TV do AFL justice anymore??

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
I'm constantly surprised to hear peoples points on players and umpiring etc in todays modern times. Never before have we had 100 angles to look at something, in super slow motion etc. Never before has our game been shown so tightly where you no longer see the pasage of play or work off the ball.

Bar games shown at regional grounds like Darwin, Manuka etc..

Some see great effort where at the ground I see a lazy footballer with a half assed effort. Some see stats and players doing nothing. At the ground I see shepards being applied, great running etc etc.

Has it got to the point where unless I went to a game I can't really accurately describe a players performance or teams effort??

I just hate watching the game on TV these days. Its just plain crap imo as I can't see team structure, matchups, players off the ball etc any longer due to the stations way they market the game. Harder to judge who is manning who or responsible when things go wrong, who fails to zone out in todays modern set defences etc.

And I feel the game can be too over umpired by fans watching on TV thanks to all this. I do the same thing at home. You see every free in slow mo, super close up and scream for it. Reality is the game is played at great speed and umpired in real time by umpires so often out of position. If they called what I called for when watching on TV then the game would last 4 hours LOL

I for one HATE footy on TV.

So in reality my rant isn't against those that watch it on TV or are forced to on many occasions. Just the way its shown these days and the rediculous angles etc that make forming our own opinions and judging players/teams more accurately.

I don't need to see every pimple on a players face or his shoelaces. I do want to see where the kick is going:thumbsup:

another one is where they show replays when the game is on and when a goal is kicked they show the celebration the balls back in the middle and they go to an ad.

Football in this day and age is just under so much scrutiny! I think it takes away from the game to a point! TV is the main reason for this! I think everything is just way over scrutinised! I still enjoy watching footy both live and televised but its not the way, and is never gonna be again, it was!

Your exactly right about that, even listening to Dennis Commetti Commentating on Channel 9 sounded better.

Liam Pickering should stick to benchwarming geelong players
But
On this topic, here is my say:

Live Football is fantastic, the atmosphere, the people, the umpires making me get so angry that i am up to the point where i have to show my passion towards the game and make a big remark, now there is nothing against that, but thats how far football can take you especially when your team is playing.

As for Tv, i don't really watch it much anymore, only sometimes, and i have to agree, it is totally out of hand for channel 7 to show any games, as i feel they are absolutely disgraceful, but back to the tv topic, it's never really been fascinating watching games on tv, i get really bored, you just don't feel like it's AFL when you are watching it on tv, nothing to analyse, nothing to look upon and say, right where didn't we play well on the ground, it's just boring.

I'd rather not watch it at all and do something else.

I go off my head watching it on tv, have been known to break things and pre warn others before a match and also injure myself :rolleyes:The best thing about watching it on tv and not being there is if u give up a 16 point 3/4 time lead when the siren goes u can just turn it off argue with your mate for 10 mins about how ^**^&*^ we r then get back to being mates again without having to walk thru the crowd and listen to the Saints theme song ;)

haha, good one, who said i don't have the best earmuffs made to put them on exactly before the full time siren :):)

God we need some skill at North, without it we wont take the next step . As Simmo said in a recent interview re himself he said the speed probably wont pass him but the skill level will. Today if u cant hit a target u will be found out and u wont consistanly win .

is bruce mcavaney ennoying i hate the footy broadcast on channel 7. all he ever says is "clever" better than listening the buckley and voss.

If i can i turn the commentators off , but generally im yelling profanities so i cant here anyway :D:woot:

AFL on TV is just like Australia, it's over governed or should i say badly governed.:rolleyes:

Give me a spot amongst 80,000 fans at the MCG any day, the last time i experienced this was Hawthorn vs Essendon Elimination Final. Watching this game later on TV gave me a completely different outlook on the game.

Imagine if all this scrutiny existed back in the old days where the old clothes line, punch to the face, inconspicuous elbow or head butt (eg: Craven headbutting Lockett's elbow) was just a free kick. We wouldn't have a game to watch, players would be receiving jail terms now.:lol:

I think it also comes down to the sport being shown on TV. Rugby league is a much more TV friendly game wher AFL is much MUCH better being at the game.

Cheers
Matt

There's not enough coverage on free to air for starters, unless you have foxtel (thank goodness i do) AFL is hardly seen anymore...

Totally agree with you Chad. Footy on TV is just plain ugly cause they'll all about taking you up close. You never see anything developing or off ball.

Perfect example is with Melbourne currently. Brock Mclean. Everyone who sees him on TV thinks the sun shines out of his *** but the guy a slow lazy dropkick. "Oh but the stats", the stats mean diddly people particularly in the day of chipping it round backwards and 3 or 4 1-2 handpasses giving 4 possies in 20 seconds.

Totally agree with you Chad. Footy on TV is just plain ugly cause they'll all about taking you up close. You never see anything developing or off ball.

Perfect example is with Melbourne currently. Brock Mclean. Everyone who sees him on TV thinks the sun shines out of his *** but the guy a slow lazy dropkick. "Oh but the stats", the stats mean diddly people particularly in the day of chipping it round backwards and 3 or 4 1-2 handpasses giving 4 possies in 20 seconds.

Great point Ben, another great example like Brocky is Priddis, 45 nothing possesions...

Perfect example is with Melbourne currently. Brock Mclean.

You obviously got my reference to lazy footballers correct :lol::lol:

Couldn't run donwn tram on swanston st :lol:

And its not AFL isn't a TV sport as such, it used to be a LOT better. Too many cameras and shot too tight these days. Pure and simple imo and a lot of others too. And we get what 4 games a week on free to air in full. Better than ever really Norm. Back in the day sure we got the replay but the consequence was Sandy Roberts and it cut to buggery.

Just when will the networks start to listen? Thats the thing...

One last thing.. WHY on why are the cameras at the G on the MCC side???

In almost......no in 99% of games the camera side has more bums on seats than the southern side and AFL members reserve. Yesterday looked terrible on TV but the Dee's members area, Lions area and MCC were pretty full.

Maybe its a lighting issue I don't know but that roar had to come from somewhere didn't it ;)

I've been moved down to the low deck at the dome many times before at games where a low crowd is expected to make it look better for TV.

Lastly, dream team stats aren't a measure of a players worth to an actual team:rolleyes: Is Wheatley really the best defensive player in the AFL I ask you?:eek:

it really ****s me when i go to work (having been to the game on the weekend) and hear a bunch of uneducated mongs talking about this and that player because they saw it no tv. as the OP said, they miss the leads, the shepards, the matchups, the formations, the tags etc.
then when i say you cant judge the match as well as if you went there i am deemed arrogant !!

on a side note:
1. Nine is rubbish and selfish, i am glad they got rid of the football. i was sick of missing games because they had it but wanted to show something else.

2. seven cuts the game to short, and the biggest prob, my 7HD signal is ALWAYS stuffed up. its the only channel this happens to. i cant sit through a game without getting up to frantically adjust the cord.

then when i say you cant judge the match as well as if you went there i am deemed arrogant !!

Its not arrogant, its just the truth. If you can't get to the game fine. But you pay a price for doing so these days and thats missing out on most of the action.

Is it any wonder Brisbane fans are crying poor over the umps yesterday after watching it on TV but at the game most supporters both Melb and unbisased saw it the other way?

Its FREE to air. But its not FREES TV ;):lol:

Back
Top Bottom