Collected as a kid - now I'm back!

Mused

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Aaron
Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I collected NBA cards in highschool up until around 1999 then stopped. I've since been bitten by the bug again and am looking to start collecting NBA cards again.

I recently found my old collection of cards and it's great to look back at the old players and old cards with fond memories. My favourite cards from my collection include a Topps Finest Kobe Bryant rookie card (bronze), the old school Shawn Kemp Hoops rookie card (even though it's worth about $2) and my Shawn Kemp game used jersey card from around 1996, the old school Shaq inserts and of course just some run of the mill inserts of my favourite players of all time - Anfernee Hardaway and Vince Carter! Not an amazing collection - but not bad considering I was earning $15 a week pocket money at that time!

Looking forward to discussing things with you guys!

Yeah it might have been 98, dont have the card in front of me so it was a stab in the dark.
Sydney based. Why do you ask?

Welcome aboard mate, there is some great guys on here that will help you out in your re collecting:thumbsup:
I have a pile of Doubles Low end inserts of Penny if your interested mate as he is my Main player PC

Ha ha, great read! Welcome to OCT, you've come to the right place to kick-start your hobby interests again!

Are you going to continue on collecting from the 90s, or concentrate on something/someone more modern?

I'd love to continue collecting from the 90's but I do like some of the newer players too. I'd love to pull a decent Lebron, Kobe or Durant card from the newer packs. I've just purchased a box of 2010/11 Panini Season Update's from the USA to get me started again - after that I'll consider if I should go back to the 90's or not.

Is it still easy to get older boxes? From what I've read, the older cards aren't worth as much as the newer ones (as back then game used jerseys and auto's weren't huge). Any suggestions on an older box that isn't overly priced that might still produce some value? Is there any Lebron rookie's worth trying to get?

Hmmm, some tricky questions. From what I've seen, the base RCs (rookies), don't go for much, and Ebay would be your mate there.

As for boxes, there's still a few floating around on the web. Not much "value" in them these days tho, just the actual chase for us oldie collectors who wanna complete sets.

GL with the Panini!

Mused, just curious. Most everyone here posts their location. As to older boxes .... try dacardworld.com. They may not have absolutely everything, but they do have a lot of older stock and there prices are darn good also.

Back
Top Bottom