Becketts card hall of fame class of 2005! Do you agree??

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
Ok Beckett as some of youknow have released their inaugeral class of cards into the basketball card hall of fame. Only ten cards go in the first year and many collectors and staff at Beckett toiled with the ideas for this one. Readers didnt' get to vote this time.

The first cards in the Hall Of Fame are.......drum roll.......

George Mikan 1948 Bowman RC
mkanrc8.jpg

Bob Cousy 1957 topps RC
Cousybday.jpg

Bill Russell 1957 topps RC
Russ1.jpg

Larry Bird/Magic Johnson 1980-81 topps RC
Birdrc.jpg

Julius Erving 1972-73 topps RC
Drjrc6.jpg

Michael Jordan 1986-87 fleer RC
jordanrc7.jpg

Jerry West 1961 fleer RC
westrc4.jpg

Pete Maravich 1970-71 topps RC
pistolrc5.jpg

Lew Alcindor 1969-70 topps RC
lewrc3.jpg

Wilt Chamberlain 1961 fleer RC
Wiltrc2.jpg

NOW did Beckett get it right guys??????

Would you change any or disagree with any in the first ten cards in???

Obviously the selection criteria for the first lot in is mainstream card releases or most of the top 10 would be Mikans. (eg Scotts chips, Bread for energy etc) Those two are locks on number one and two if not. Topps test issues were excluded for now as well. Next class in though this may change.

I pretty much agree with this lot going by the criteria. Then again looking at the cards you guys would see why. Its a chadjaja wet dream :oops:

Give us your feedback and cards you might have put in yourself.

Chad.

Thanks Tezza but he failed to email the pics to the Bekett editors so they had to leave out his wonderfull and rare autos. It was my fault he got mad as I dared to have a go at him and his invisable cards.

Pretty obvious choices. The only change I might make is adding Big O's 61-62 Fleer RC instead of Maravich.

YEah the Big O RC is a hard to get card with centering issues etc of that set but Pistol is and forever will be an iconic NBA idol etc. The demand for that RC and the look of the card etc make it more a popular and well known RC in the sports card hobby. BUT the Big O RC would be one of the next two or three to be considered. Good choice Vlad. It was bought up in the top 15 or so.

Tezza put his great point of view in too. :wink:

Anyone else care to voice their opinion on the ten chosen?

Nobody putting in a Bron Exquisite just yet or the first Jordan gu/auto etc??

DRobs rookie always gets some sort of mention in the top lot of cards because it evolutionised the hobby, but Im not surprised it doesnt rate a mention against all these greats

I'd be interested to know what people think the next 5 cards in the HOF should be. I will put post mine later after some research.

The next lot is really hard. Some of the vintage stuff I'm into is really conditon sensitive. Do you include a Carl Braun 48 bowman rc as its just nuts trying to find one and in good condition along with he was a star alongside Mikan.

But few would care of such a card these days unless they were into vintage etc. Like a 69 topps checklist. A great card but does it do it for the general public.

I'm going to suprise a few here and choose some that helped changed he hobby and gave it a kick start too.

The first is the Big O RC as he just missed out last time
BigO.jpg

The David Robinson RC was the start of the hobby really taking off again and packs flew off shelves especially when it was revealed it was a short print.
drob.jpg

The Bird/Magic auto was one of the first autos on the market and the first dual big name player dual to appear! This saw boxes being busted at the rate of the freight train. That and it was a redemption and very limited.
All time classic.
birdmagic.jpg

Again a hobby changing card. This was at one time at an insane price and made the heads of UD think about how they could continue this and eventually kill the idea. This Jordan still is one of the most desirable cards on the market and lead the way for the gu market we have now.
JordanJerseyAuto.jpg

Lastly a surprise for many I would think. A Shaq topps stadium beam team. This like the D Rob propelled the card market and lead the hobby in one of the most desirable insert sets to get. The beam teams go down as one of the greatest insert sets ever and Shaq now has many rings to go along with the hype he had as a number one pick and rookie year etc.
shaqbeamteam.jpg

Feel free to pick my choices apart and have a go. I did this lot pretty quickly and it may have changed had I thougt about it longer but all the above cards are classics and deserve to be in the HOF eventually. Just mayb not in that order?

Bron exquisite RC is close still as for what it as a release has done for the hobby etc not just what he has acccomplished on and off the court.

I agree about the Shaq Beam Team card. That was my choice for making top 10, as that card single handedly sparked the collecting craze of the mid 90's.

Would also agree with D-Rob RC.

I would like to add 92/93 UD Shaq RC, but it'd be greedy to include 2 Shaq cards, but that card has 2 aspects to it. 1st Rookie Redemption, and also the picture is supposed to designate growing from boyhood to manhood. It's such a lovely picture.

That's my thoughts anyway.

I was also thinking Fleers' MJ Total D or MJ Team Leader....those sets, along with the Tower of Power insert boomed during the mid 90's

nice to see the admiral getting props!

How about Jordan 93/94 Finest Refractor? Or was it the whole set in general that really got the hobby going?

While the Jordan Team Leader lit up the hobby it quickly died after they realised team leaders were 1 a pack in rack packs available at a department store rather than the huge odds of them in hobby combined with the number of players in the set. It doesn't get in now.

Neither does the Jordan finest. Not by a long shot.

The main thing from now on 10-100 etc is that you allow some non mainstream sets as a heap of cards pre 1970 were regional or oddball releases. Like I said before a Jordan team leader doesn't hold a candle to a Mikan exhibit or bread for energy etc.

Although I still kept it mainstream for these five here as most here wouldn't know most of those issues etc.

Beckett on the other hand should include the Mikans in the next batch.

I'll be different and mention the 94-95 Ultra Scoring Kings/Defensive Gems sets.

While they were rare back when collecting, they can be picked up nowadays quite cheaply.

What happened to the Chuck Fleer RC, or Star XRC?? :p

C'on guys! Tower of power, scoring kings??? You have to be kidding!

The hobby has nearly a hundred years of history and these cards are available in cheap 90's packs and overpopulated.

Sorry scotty but Beckett wont give Star co the kudos it deserves. Otherwise the Jordan xrc would have been top ten alongside his fleer as its the harder to get and more condition sensitive etc.

Damn a second year Rusell or Wilt 61 fleer IA gets in before some of those mentioned above!

chadjaja® said:
C'on guys! Tower of power, scoring kings??? You have to be kidding!

The hobby has nearly a hundred years of history and these cards are available in cheap 90's packs and overpopulated.

I didnt wanna say anything Vintage, cos I simply dont know enuff about em...

So I thought I'd run with card that were in my era of collecting that were hard to get hold of, and when ya did, everyone wanted em.

Yeah fair enough about the vintage thing I would assume thats most here but those two cards out of all of the cards you do know about???

This is suppossed to be a heated discussion so I'll say what I think you hulking two headed Tassie yobbo! LOL

I'm going downstairs now to join the 150,000 already there to back the anti John Howard movement. :evil:

More heated out there me thinks. :wink:

"The Vintage united, will never be defeated!"

Back
Top Bottom