basketball rule interpretation

Trey

David Robinson Collector
Real Name
Marty
eBay User
admiral5071
hey guys, had an interesting thing happen in my game tonight, was wondering what people think the rule really is...Ive checked the fiba site but the rules book gets a bit annoying after a while and I cant see anything specific for this scenario...

the situation...

my team mate takes a 3.
during this process, a screen is set for him, the opposing player throws the screen setter to the ground...a foul is called
the 3 is good.

my understand is - the basket is good....the screen setter...having been fouled, then shoots the "and 1" free throw....resulting in a 4 point play opportunity.

Instead, we got possession...how does that work?

We won the game by 2, this all happened in the last 30 seconds, but we still questioned the call with the ref because we didnt care if we won by 2 or 50...it still shoulda been a FT.

arent off the ball fouls always possession (unless their in the penalty sitaution)? the ruling makes sense to me, the shooter was not inhibited in any way from shooting, so the foul should not be a shooting foul. id rather have possession than a FT anyway...

me too...but in this situation, the clock was at 20 seconds, and the FT woulda killed the time (clock doesnt stop in this comp - sucks arse)

I would say the following -

Score counts.
Since the foul was not on the player actually shooting it would just be your team possession, as it would be just considered the same as an "off the ball foul" while someone was shooting (Eg. boxing out)

or it would be similar to an offensive foul on a drive after the ball was released

definitely not an and 1 no other player other than the shooter could shoot the free-throw

Billyhoyle said:
I would say the following -

Score counts.
Since the foul was not on the player actually shooting it would just be your team possession, as it would be just considered the same as an "off the ball foul" while someone was shooting (Eg. boxing out)

or it would be similar to an offensive foul on a drive after the ball was released

definitely not an and 1 no other player other than the shooter could shoot the free-throw

As a referee, that's what I, and most others in the Association I play/ref in would call. 3 points count, and a off the ball foul called on your opponents. Not sure from your original post on whether the score counted or was wiped off.

Also, dependds on the severity of the foul committed. If flagrant (or unsportsmanlike), then it'd be FT, and then possession from half-court.

From the inbounds, that'd give your team another chance to score (or get fouled to shoot FT's), for an opportunity for more points than a FT opportunity, wouldn't it???

Back
Top Bottom