Advice needed on declaring amount of item inside envelope

drobfan8

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ben
Ok so I sold my 04/05 exquisite auto patch of Lebron James and the
guy wants me to declare the worth of the card inside as $40 instead of the full amount.

Can this in anyway come back to bite me in the arse?

Say card goes missing?

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Obviously going overseas...? Insured?????

Don't do it either way anyway lol. If you have insured it and it goes missing your screwed, if he tries paypal claim as not arrived, not as described then that could hurt ya too?

In reality, unless it is insured, it would not really matter.

If he is going to calim that the card never arrived, whether you put on it $40 or $5000, it will not matter to paypal, unless it is tracked shipping.

If you are worried about being stung, you really need to send it tracked (ECI) which is about $40 to the US.

What I do is make it thin enough that it gets sent in a cardboard envelope. For those, you do not need to declare value. But if it is to the US then I wouldn't becuase they are stricter with their customs and would more likely pull the item up to check rather than other countries.

Ersk

He is going to have to pay the customs duty on it so dont make it your problem. I would put down the value that he payed for it. Im sure the US govt has some consequences for incorrectly declaring items.

Hmmm very good points, it's to Indonesia, I'm going to message him and see why he wants it declared for that value, maybe they have taxes?

insurance means nothing, you dont need to put that on the front, you also dont know that they need to pay customs on it..if you think something will happen it will...just sent that bludger in a padded mailer. Send it express post or even registered....this part is very important....DO NOT USE STAMPS! get the post office to print out the postage label. Indo taiwan china etc have issues with people using stamps as money....DO NOT USE STAMPS

Checked out the guys feedback and he's buying a fair bit of Lebron stuff but nothing near the vicinity of the Exquisite.

eBay My World - lebronzz23

I sent him a message asking why he wants me to put $40 on the declaration and he replied with " Do not send the card, I'd like a refund"

very fishy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I don't know all the ins and outs but still know that if someone wants to rip you off, they will.

---------- Post added 28-09-2011 at 09:36 PM ----------

He may be legit, who knows.

The fact that you are asking should highlight that it does not sit well with you. Go with your gut instinct and put down the full value ;) just not worth the risk imo

---------- Post added 28-09-2011 at 07:46 PM ----------

You should also remind him that once you have 3 non payment strikes that they shut down your account. Dodgy if you ask me

Well the thing is he's paid and then in the notes put to declare the card as $40. If I did that surely he could say that I sent him another card instead of the Exquisite.

You're right Terry, does'nt feel right and I asked one question and he's backing out. Very strange.

---------- Post added 28-09-2011 at 09:57 PM ----------

Just want to say a MASSIVE thanks to you guys for throwing in advice, greatly appreciated.

That's the problem once you start dealing in a few pricey deals, it (possibly, not always) attracts dodgy buyers.

I kinda know him, he's a big LBJ fan, and buying his cards lately
The customs in Indonesia will charge a lot (maybe 30% of the declared value) ,hence why he's asking for you to reduce the declared value

I kinda know him, he's a big LBJ fan, and buying his cards lately
The customs in Indonesia will charge a lot (maybe 30% of the declared value) ,hence why he's asking for you to reduce the declared value

Thanks, yeah after a few emails back and forth he seemed fine, he did'nt want the card if he had to pay the 30% customs tax on it (ouch, what a price).

But he would'nt give me the reason until about the 6th email.

I'm not worried coz It means that Lebron will stay in the collection now, I think it was a sign not to sell:)

Most Europeans (especially British) won't want the value declared because of huge fees. However in this day and age there is no way to cover yourself if they claim that you didn't send what they wanted you to send, so it's a tough call on what to do

And also isn't that info written on a sticker that is on the package? Maybe $40 looks cheaper to a possible thief? And wouldn't bother with it unless it's a BIG sign that says $5000 dollar value inside... Open me and see what's inside??

And also isn't that info written on a sticker that is on the package? Maybe $40 looks cheaper to a possible thief? And wouldn't bother with it unless it's a BIG sign that says $5000 dollar value inside... Open me and see what's inside??

Fair comment but if the buyer wants to take the risk to save on taxes then none of the risk should fall on the seller. Why buy from ebay (where the buyer seems to have more cover) and expect the seller to risk it for you. Why declare anything ! why doesn't the buyer in question come on here and buy his expensive cards, pay by papal as a gift and pay for regular post. If a thief will possibly open a $5k value then $40 could still be tempting... regular post would get less attention !? Sorry but I just don't agree that someone tries that stuff on ebay where the seller is an easy target

Back
Top Bottom