2015 AFL Season Discussion

Scotty_WCE

West Coast card collector!
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
scotty_wce
New thread for the new season. Some interesting results so far, personally my hopes for the Eagles' season have plummeted after last night's loss to the Bulldogs, but more because we've now lost our two key defenders for the season. Could be a tough season.

Also looking forward to tomorrow's Cats vs Hawks game, should be a ripper!

So many season ending injuries so far. Not just in this round but NAB challenge matches and club training/intra club matches. And some to young future guns like Libba, Petracca and O'meara. It's not what you want to see.

Defense wasn't the issue for the Eagles though, composure was. Too many panicked handballs and hacked kicks. They were fine from the set piece, but fell apart when Bulldogs ramped up the pressure.

Numbers don't lie Bulldogs were simply more effective with their disposals. Priddis, Masten and Shuey got their hands on it a lot but certainly burnt a lot of it as well.

McGovern was superb down back and was definitely BOG for West Coast.

I felt Lycett was solid, but is capable of doing better.

Sheed stunk last night, 17 disposals with only 47% effective, 5 clangers and zero tackles. He seems to be a sitting duck when tackled, the ball always got trapped to his body, needs to work on carrying it above the pack. I'd like to see him get more games, but don't be surprised if he's back with East Perth next weekend.

Don't know how in the hell Brett Goodes won that free kick when he kamikazed himself into two guys' legs. But they let Gaff off the hook 10 minutes later. Have they just completely abandoned the sliding rule?

Schofield apparently left the East Perth game this weekend after a head knock, so with that and his ankle, I doubt he'll be back next week. But hopefully Bennell will be so Gaff can move further up into the midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Murray get a run up forward either, after kicking 4.2 for the Royals. If we're going to patch holes down back, and Darling is still on the shelf until round four at best, maybe the forward line could do well getting smaller. They've played tall for a while now, and it certainly hasn't been a roaring success.

Defense wasn't the issue for the Eagles though, composure was. Too many panicked handballs and hacked kicks. They were fine from the set piece, but fell apart when Bulldogs ramped up the pressure.

Numbers don't lie Bulldogs were simply more effective with their disposals. Priddis, Masten and Shuey got their hands on it a lot but certainly burnt a lot of it as well.

McGovern was superb down back and was definitely BOG for West Coast.

I felt Lycett was solid, but is capable of doing better.

Sheed stunk last night, 17 disposals with only 47% effective, 5 clangers and zero tackles. He seems to be a sitting duck when tackled, the ball always got trapped to his body, needs to work on carrying it above the pack. I'd like to see him get more games, but don't be surprised if he's back with East Perth next weekend.

Don't know how in the hell Brett Goodes won that free kick when he kamikazed himself into two guys' legs. But they let Gaff off the hook 10 minutes later. Have they just completely abandoned the sliding rule?

Schofield apparently left the East Perth game this weekend after a head knock, so with that and his ankle, I doubt he'll be back next week. But hopefully Bennell will be so Gaff can move further up into the midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Murray get a run up forward either, after kicking 4.2 for the Royals. If we're going to patch holes down back, and Darling is still on the shelf until round four at best, maybe the forward line could do well getting smaller. They've played tall for a while now, and it certainly hasn't been a roaring success.
No I agree completely, the number of times I was shaking my head after a shanked 20m kick or missed simple handball was, well, way too high. The problem is it's been happening for several seasons now where we just can't get the basics right. It's just frustrating. However because of this our backline is under the pump more often than it should be, and with no Brown or Mackenzie, we could struggle a lot especially against the teams with particularly tall forward lines.

Agree with the Murray Newman call too, filling our attacking small forward position would be a nice way to pay the club back after his issues.

Some great games so far. The Doggies vs Eagles game was a beauty.
Can't wait to see the Hawks vs Cats. Go Hawks.

Never been big on the Lions, but I have to give them credit, they always have some hard nuggets in their team. Amazing that Rockliff walked off, albeit with the assistance of trainers, with broken ribs and a punctured lung.

And people are moaning because Bugg bumps a backpedaling Riewoldt and he might have whiplash.

Some awful injuries so far as some of you have touched on already. Jaeger O'Meara out for the season, West Coast will apparently confirm the same for Mitch Brown tomorrow. Tom Rockliff, David Myers, Luke Parker, Dale Thomas.....you'd see some of these injuries in car accidents for goodness sake.

We forget just how tough our footballers actually are and television of course prevents us from hearing the body on body collisions and heavy hits due to the crowd sound effects mic being turned up.

She's a brutal, fast-paced game and it's got me f**ked how anyone on sites like Big Footy has the gall to label some of these blokes squibs. Unfortunately the downside of an "instant opinion" society is that enables people to criticise without first engaging their brain.

Great display of footy by the hawks, Geelong had no answers but I get the feeling that they might do that to a lot of teams this year

MRP already busy.

Matt Shaw and Brett Deledio hit with rough conduct charges, and will have week off with an early plea

Jamie Elliot, Zac Clarke and Brad Ebert will all be $1000 lighter after being fined for tripping

Tom Jonas hit with a $1500 fine ($1000 for early plea) for a low impact strike to the body of Chris Mayne.

But thankfully sanity prevailed and Tomas Bugg is in the clear

The panel reviewed all available vision of the Bugg-Riewoldt incident, including a reverse angle shot down the ground.

The ball was close to the boundary line with St Kilda’s Ahmed Saad under pressure from an opponent. Saad, who was being tackled, handballed the ball back towards teammates Josh Bruce and Riewoldt.

Bruce took possession of the ball while Riewoldt stepped back into the path of the oncoming Bugg.

Bugg made contact to Riewoldt's back front-on, and not with a bumping action.

It was the view of the panel that while Riewoldt would have earned a free kick for in the back if the contact had been seen by the umpire, Bugg’s actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.

Yet to see what will happen with Steve Johnson, likely a fine I'd imagine.

Agree with the Murray Newman call too, filling our attacking small forward position would be a nice way to pay the club back after his issues.

Well there goes that idea. Seems he injured his hand during the game last weekend and has to have surgery on a finger tendon. Will miss the next two months

Not too surprised West Coast have dropped Lamb for the game tomorrow, figured the 6 day break might be a bit much. With one debutant out comes another one in, as Liam Duggan gets his first hit out, be interesting to see where they play him.

Other outs - Brown, Selwood and Butler - are through injury and soreness. In comes Bennell, Tunbridge and Schofield. Geez I hope they're not rushing Schofield.

Last edited:
@Lazlow with the injuries to Mitch Brown and Eric Mackenzie so early in the season, what's your view on the "mid-season draft" idea that is being kicked around in the media? Chris Scott basically dismissed it outright on Fox Footy on Monday night but do you think it has merit or is it open to manipulation like the current draft system is (ie with tanking, swapping picks etc)?

Not a fan. Can't think of another league that has a mid-season draft. Hell we already have 3 pre-season drafts as it is. I'd be more open to a trade deadline, but fans hate player movement as it is, and you'd probably need to increase the list size. The NFL has a 53 man active roster limit but then they have practice squads on top of that, and the NHL has two tiers of minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) underneath them. tbh I firmly believe the AFL should have a national reserves comp operating underneath the AFL. The bonus being they'll stop spoiling our state leagues :cautious:

What's happened to the Eagles is simply a perfect storm of misfortune, Glass and Waters retiring, and then Brown and Mackenzie going down, you couldn't script it worse. But they're also paying for a lack of depth inability to develop players. Hawthorn set the standard for list depth, they suffered many injuries to key players last year, yet they still soldiered on. Mackenzie goes down and many a West Coast fan had already written off the season. Guys like Masten, Gaff, Sheppard simply haven't become the footballers their draft positions said they'd be. You look at the guys taken after Sheppard - like Nathan Fyfe, Jack Gunston, Sam Reid, Daniel Talia, Lewis Jetta - and you wonder what could've been.

Wow huge congratulations to West Coast supporters (go Freo let's beat the cats today), although beating Carlton is nothing to brag about it was simply brilliant football. Did anyone else notice how Carlton would not follow up anything, they weren't chasing for tackles or crumbing the ball in the forward line. Bryce Gibbs was the biggest culprit, he did not care.

Wow huge congratulations to West Coast supporters (go Freo let's beat the cats today), although beating Carlton is nothing to brag about it was simply brilliant football. Did anyone else notice how Carlton would not follow up anything, they weren't chasing for tackles or crumbing the ball in the forward line. Bryce Gibbs was the biggest culprit, he did not care.
David Parkin on ABC radio launched what for him was an unprecedented attack on Carlton, he suggested that three players basically "shirked the issue" and that he was ashamed to be known as a Carlton person because of it.

Back
Top Bottom