• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Overall yes, but some players (cough cough Natinui) shouldn't be in it

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going. Good to see Australia go back to picking their best side, makes for a better spectacle. Back when they used to pick a team of mainly All-Australians it was still an even comp, and I think the series was devalued when Australia started picking smaller, quicker sides to try match the Irish.

Think Ireland will get up in a close game, although Australia are due.

I'd be interested to know why you don't think Nic Nat is good enough? Do you have any actual facts to support your opinion, or is it simply bias against the Eagles and their players?

There is naturally going to be a bit of bias against Natinui, however his ranking of eleventh in hitouts is pretty dismal for an All Australian ruckman.
He ranked 11th when? 2012, or this season?

And beside that, his importance can't be measured through stats. He's so much better and influential than the stats portray him to be.

This season he was eleventh, and wouldn't you rather have someone like Minson, Sam Jacobs or even Todd Goldstein?
No. Minson and Goldstein are not as good as Naitanui. Jacobs is, but I think Naitanui's game style is suited to the International Rules (he runs, he's quick, he's exciting, while Jacobs is more a traditional ruckman: fine in AFL, but not great in IR).

And taking his number of hit outs from this year is not a great stat to use. This year he was injury-plagued, underdone and didn't spend as much time in the ruck as normal.

Also I'd like to know where he ranks in terms of hit outs to advantage: a better stat for studying ruckmen.

Would anyone be able to post the full team/squad?
Grant Birchall, Travis Boak, Luke Breust, Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Fletcher, Nat Fyfe, Brendon Goddard, Robbie Gray, Brent Harvey, Luke Hodge, Kieren Jack, Steve Johnson, Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Mitchell, Leigh Montagna, Nic Naitanui, Nick Riewoldt, Tom Rockliff, Joel Selwood, Brodie Smith, Nick Smith, Harry Taylor, Jobe Watson, Chad Wingard.

Hitouts aren't the be all and end all of the modern ruckman.

Just as the stay at home forward is a thing of the past, so too is the lumbering plonker who can reach high, tap the ball and check out. Clubs now want ruckmen that can impact the scoreboard, with meaningful second efforts, guys that can cover the ground and provide more potency up forward or in the midfield, or even provide an extra man down back.

Look at the ruckmen coming through; Martin, Lycett, Smith, Nicholls, Grundy.

Just stumbled on match worn signed guernseys here too

http://shop.afl.com.au/auctions/

On the ruckman debate, I agree a ruckman needs to do more than just win hitouts. However being an Essendon fan I've seen first hand how good we play when Ryder influenced our centre clearances. We'll be starting a lot of our attacks from the back half next year...

It will be interesting too see (or hear, I guess) what sort of reaction Jobe Watson and Dustin Fletcher receive tonight in Perth, given that they have been given special dispensation to play in the International Rules game. Do you think there will be much booing of them?

Back
Top Bottom