2013-14 Immaculate Sneak Peeks

At what point does this stop being called card collecting? Next year - a jar of Kyrie's farts. 1/1.

It is getting a bit ridiculous now - the crazier it gets, the more our current collections are cheapened too. "Oh that's just cardboard? No thanks! I'm chasing the diamond encrusted ball sweat relics only".

Or does it mean - the more ridiculous the inserts are the better the old school stuff becomes?
"They don't make them like they used to".

To be fair, most cards released Panini aren't work anything unless they have patches or auto's anyway. I mean there are a lot of exceptions like 1/1's and flawless base, prizm's and the like, but realistically how many cardboard only cards released since say 2010 are worth anything anymore?
Well yeah, that's the problem. Too many autos, too many patches, too many 1/1s being released so it's near impossible for anything to have any value or to hold its value. Remember when pulling an auto was a big deal, regardless of the player? Take me back to those days.

I was in the same boat. I really slowed down after this thing got out of hand. Back in the good ol' days I was chasing down seldom seen foreign issues (actually having to put in effort to find these cards). Then it got a little interesting in the early 2000's when the more limited numbered parallels started coming into play. Ten+ years ago if an Isiah 1/1 hit eBay I'd come close to crapping myself, now I pick them up cheap on the reg, and let others just slip by.

I've been collecting Isiah Thomas cards (and stuff) since I was like seven or eight, and I really enjoy doing it. There's a lot of childhood nostalgia for me. Back then, in the Detroit area, they didn't get any more larger-than-life than Zeke. So, although I've been jaded by state of the hobby, I didn't just want to give up a life long hobby. So, I readjusted my thinking. I realize it's just not possible to be a "completest" collector. It's just too much. Hell, Isiah had over 50 cards alone in the 2013 Upper Deck All-Time Greats brand. I collect what I can and am happy seeing another one crossed off the master list that I do my best to keep up with. Overall, I get much more excited over the rare vintage stuff. But, I see the appeal of the new stuff too. Some of these cards are frickin' mantle pieces, and I get the "in hand" thing too. To see a scan is one thing, but to have it and turn it to where it catches light a bit differently is pretty awesome.

My current biggest gripe, being a retired player collector, is the total lack of new images on the new cards. I get that my player hasn't been playing for 20 years, but, do a Google image search for the love of God! There's more than the dozen or so images they're been retreading on Isiah's cards since 2000. Is it licensing or laziness?

Back
Top Bottom