NRL Rumour Mill Thread (Spoilers/Game Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to make the GF you need multiple quality players. If your a one man team like the Eels and you can shut down Hayne or if he has a bad day you aren't going to win. Need a few good players so the defense can't focus on one player.

Exactly.

well done but burgess shouldve won, hayne only gets points because he's the reason the eels win when they do, and thurston get points just for turning up, besides forwards usually get overlooked

lol yeah burgess should of won haha
gavin miller won it 2 years in a row and he was a forward
burgess can piss off to union for all i care

Out of all the awards the one I couldnt understand is how DCE got halfback of the year over Ben Hunt, Ben Hunt had more points or is the criteria different for team of the year?
Yeah I am surprised at that as well I though the player with the most points for the position was the player who won the Team of the Year award.

Out of all the awards the one I couldnt understand is how DCE got halfback of the year over Ben Hunt, Ben Hunt had more points or is the criteria different for team of the year?

It's only the top three point scorers that automatically get their positional award. The rest just get picked by a panel. It seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Get over it, your team played s***. Take the loss with some dignity and don't be a bad sport. The Rabbitohs played much better and the refereeing didn't affect the outcome of the match.
Oh and by the way, you can take your dignity and shove it up your you know what.

As a Manly fan I have no idea how DCE was halfback of the year. I would Hunt would have been the guy, or even would not have been surprised to see Hodkinson or Pearce over DCE too.

The Mata'Utia / Newcastle / Bulldogs saga really shows what a joke the current contracting policies the NRL have in place are.

Three very talented and easily influenced young players still with a year to go on a current contract and signing what I would imagine to be a heavily back ended contract.

It is simple, a player under contract should not be able to be approached until the end of their current teams season. If another club is found in breach if this fine them $500,000.

The same clubs are constantly developing quality players only to have them stolen by other clubs who don't give a s*** about development and just want to buy premierships.

Of course greedy players managers have to be blamed as well, they often see the $$ signs and do what they have to for their payday.

It is simple, a player under contract should not be able to be approached until the end of their current teams season. If another club is found in breach if this fine them $500,000.

Of course greedy players managers have to be blamed as well, they often see the $$ signs and do what they have to for their payday.
They tried doing this before where you couldn't approach a player before June 30 in the final year. It was to hard to enforce because the clubs were using intermediaries to do their talking for them.
I disagree with the idea of an end of season policy as players will want to sought out where they want to go and clubs will want to sought out their teams before the end of the year.
I think the best policy they had and I don't know why it was scraped was where any club could approach any player at any time until they signed a contract except the club they were at had until June 30 on the final year of their contract to submit a counter offer.
It gives players a chance to see what their value is on the open market while allowing their current club the opportunity to match any offers.

It is not just the managers who see $$ signs. Most players only have around 10 years at the top level.
So they can either use that time to make as much money as they can so if they want to chase $$ that is their decision. But if they want to show loyalty to a club and take a lower contract to show that loyalty that is their decision as well.

I would like to see an off-season signing period like the NFL has. No team is allowed to be in contact with any player while he is under contract with another team at all or face very hefty fines. Players also cannot re-negotiate / sign a new contract until their current contract ends. Pretty simple and works well for the NFL where players tend to really rise to the occasion when they are in a "contract year" playing for their next contract.

Turns out that Pride coach Jason Demetriou had been approached to be an assistant under Paul Green at the Cowboys, after their ISC grand final win last week. He signed a two year extension with the Pride last month, but they're likely to tear it up to allow him to enter the NRL.

Townsville is entering a team into the ISC next season, so expect a few Cowboys players to be realigned with the new team. Kyle Feldt is one that has already been mentioned.

Boyd rumoured to have signed with Roosters.
Darius Boyd? Well, that's interesting on a couple of fronts: RTS supposedly having first dibs at Minnie's fullback spot, the supposed signing by the roosters of Blake Ferguson, the already having Daniel Tupou on the "other" wing, and the Bennett missing out on him coming to Brisbane? Not that Brisbane need him in any way, shape or form. Just from the cards already laid on the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom