Your best and worst collecting decisions

ooneil

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Owen
I thought this might be a bit of fun. Here are mine.

Best In 2000 i started collection NRL cards again however instead of jumping on the Select bandwagon i decided to collecting Scanlens Sets. I picked up everything from 1975 to 1982 and all for prices between $80 and $150. There used to be a collectables shop up the top of town in Newcastle and i must give credit to the guy that owned it for looking after me. Given they have all quadrupled in value since it was certainly my best decision.

Worst When i was 12 or 13 I can across some unopened 1978,1979,1980 & 1982 in an op-shop (would have been about 1991-92). There were about 3 or 4 of each.......donated the wrappers to Newcastle City Council tip and im not 100% sure what happened to the cards. And yes i did try the piece of chewy in the 1982 packet - almost broke a tooth.

Best:
Close of business decision to buy a box of Upper Deck SPx late on a Friday when I was at uni. Mate wanted to go halvies but bailed at last minute because of cost. Ended up buying the box myself...knowing I was spending my rent and beer money for the fortnight. Pulled a 1998-99 Upper Deck Michael Jordan Game-Worn Jersey Autograph SPx-GJ 17/23.

Worst: Selling the card I got in the 'best' so I could drink rum instead of beer. Idiot!!!

Best: i dont really know yet.

Worst: selling of my 3 04 captain sigs. also selling of my cards numbered to 0 or player, to tak and brplat.

Haha this isn't part of NRL but sounds interesting :lol:

Best: Collecting a mid-end guy like Channing Frye so I don't have to bust my balls for my PC :p

Worst: Selling off all my Kevin Durant cards and leaving the hobby in 2009, cards are now worth 4-5x what I sold them for.

Best:1) Being proactive and calling a guy who had a lazy description of his cards on Ebay. For the price he was asking it sounded like a rip off as it didn't match the desciption. On speaking with him, I got the price down and bought the 16 or so sets of cards ( incl 6 x 2000 sets) plus a few thousand singles incl Force 5 redemption, TP and other inserts etc most in ultra pro sleeves. Paid about value of a Force 5 red and 1 TP for it

2) Buying 2000, 2001 and WCT albums

Worst:1) Paying too much for a 1980 set
2) Not buying 1994 Masters folder with the others above

Best. Getting both 1996 booster/starter complete sets including original folders for $120. Delivered. And Girds signed 2008 centenary Cards.

Worst. Buying a 2005 Tradtion Foil Set for $300 a few years back. Still kicking myself for it!

Best : Picking up Israel Folau, Benji Marshall, Cameron Smith and Sam Thaiday Top Prospect/Future Force sig cards for $15-$20 from ebay/Para collector fairs. I laugh now.
Best : Getting 1993 unopened boxes in 1994 for half price and being offered a dozen and only taking 2.

Worst : Selling a 1994 Series 2 Mal Meninga signature card and a 1994/95 Steve Waugh signature card (both busted from packs and redeemed by myself).
Worst : Keeping all the 'good' players from the 1993 busted boxes and handing off heaps of nuffie common cards to a bloke at The Entrance to trade for crap quality 1970's Souths card. Oh well.

Best: buying a 1976 and 1977 set for a total of $100 from a guy on a online selling site around 7 years ago.
Worst: aside from not keeping my cards as a kid and spending plenty to get them back must be buying a case of Heroes cards. Only case of cards I have bought and not one top end signature or sketch card.

Best: Keeping a 1991 set in folder in as new condition along with several hundred doubles

Worst: Not looking after my cards from 1988-1990 at all!

here goes-

best- associating myself with top collectors to deal cards with instead of just forking out the $$$

worst- buying to many boxes to try and snag a redemption card when it would have been cheaper to buy one haha
worst- not collecting from 1998- 2005 and missing any chance of picking up the rare 2000 and 2001 cards at a decent price

Best: Buying all the Select Knights sigs I needed in my last couple of years as a uni student in 2005/06, went without meals a few times, but the prices have pretty much doubled since then.

Worst: Not sure if I saw a Buderus sig tazo from 2006 when they first came out and they were quite a few on ebay, but it's my white whale, so if I did see one and didn't buy it then it was the worst decision ever!!! haha

went without meals a few times

Now thats collecting at its finest :D

Best- Starting a Sharks PC

Worst- Stealing the last card i needed from the 1988 set from a kid at school then as punishment mum gave that kid ALL my cards from 1986-1988 (which was basically 3 years worth of lunch money)
Accidently sending shane_sharks my Steve Rogers Inspirations #003 was pretty bad too.

Best :- Buying scanlen sets back in the 70's and 80's including 1982 QRL Full set Mint

Worst :- Using these cards as spokes on my BMX to make noise when I rode around

At that point id never heard of him and the cards being offered to me were ones i was after.

Big regret now. Cant even remember who i traded with.... Some kid at school

Now thats collecting at its finest =D>

Best- Starting a Sharks PC

Worst- Stealing the last card i needed from the 1988 set from a kid at school then as punishment mum gave that kid ALL my cards from 1986-1988 (which was basically 3 years worth of lunch money)
Accidently sending shane_sharks my Steve Rogers Inspirations #003 was pretty bad too.

hahaha sounds like i didnt give it back

Back
Top Bottom