Why is BEN WALLACE going to be Defensive Player of the Year...

geelongfan

Mona LeBron
Look at any media report on DPOTY and Ben Wallace is a shoe in..
Now i know he is intimidating when a player drives to the basket and would affect many shots during a game, but stats do tell a fair bit of the story for this award.

In the 05-06 regular season ben wallace averaged 1.78 spg and 2.21 bpg putting him at 9th and 10th in the league respectively.

Unfortunately I cannot find a statistical category on points allowed by opponent per game, where Ben Wallace would perhaps be in the top five.

The point of this post is for people to understand that there are suitable candidates that deserve the award too, or at least poll a few votes. Lets take Gerald Wallace of the Charlotte Bobcats as an example.

In the 05-06 season Gerald Wallace averaged 2.51 spg and 2.09bpg putting him first in the league for steals, and 11th in blocks. I'm not saying that Gerald is the DPOTY, but he wont be given enough recognition on the ballot when the results are through.

Is Ben Wallace really the shoe-in everyone believes?

I think Big Ben's been really quiet this year, and might be losing his effectiveness? he might be carrying injuries that havent been widely discussed?

Being a homer, Id like to see Bruce Bowen get it at least once. He's a beast.

If Camby wasnt injured all the time it woulda been him.

Ben isnt the same Ben that we've seen in the past.. quiet by his own standards, but with everyone else stepping in his workload has decreased.. It's bound to happen.. he should pick it up in the playoffs

hmmm.. I'm not sure Big Ben is a shoe-in, but looking at Detroits record and they're ability to be the best defensive team in the league, he would definately be among my top 3 candidates. Ron Artest & Bruce Bowen are extremely deserving, particularly Artest who has copped a lot but played his role as a solid defensive greaseman in Sacramento admirably. I agree though, had Camby not been out he would be the definite shoe-in.

Artest would be up there.. if he played more games... bowen is deserving, but he hasnt been as good as he has in previous years, i mean you may as well give it to ben.. same deal..

should be interesting..

i agree that artest would have been up there had he not missed so many games...i think AK47 is another that should be given consideration

Gerald Wallace has had an outstanding season and would be a deserving winner

Back
Top Bottom