Who should be ranked higher all-time: Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

Who is greater all-time?

• Kobe Bryant

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Tim Duncan

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters
hmm fair point this could start some interesting comparisons
who would you take right now Derrick Rose or Blake Griffin and you need to tak in their age and performances so far

If we're going to talk Griffin/Rose let's make a new thread (if you guys want to vote on it).

But I'd take Rose. Griffin's athleticism is other-worldly but it won't last that long. He's gonna get a pounding. Next season he's not going to score as easily either.

This is one of those things to me that stats don't really decide. When I think of Basketball in the past 10 years, and it's best players - I think Kobe Bryant at the top. Duncan is right up there, don't get me wrong - but one thing that Kobe is definitely overlooked in is that he's played through a lot of adversity and silenced a lot of critics during his career, over and over again. Let's not forget the support cast Tim Duncan has had as well too.. Going by those stats though, yeah Tim Duncan looks to be in front.

This is one of those things to me that stats don't really decide. When I think of Basketball in the past 10 years, and it's best players - I think Kobe Bryant at the top. Duncan is right up there, don't get me wrong - but one thing that Kobe is definitely overlooked in is that he's played through a lot of adversity and silenced a lot of critics during his career, over and over again. Let's not forget the support cast Tim Duncan has had as well too.. Going by those stats though, yeah Tim Duncan looks to be in front.

Really?

Do you not think, that you thinking of Kobe, has a lot to do with him being pushed more by the NBA, given more exposure etc.

Even the titles that the Spurs won, if you compare them in your mind to the ones won by the Lakers, did not seem as glamorous or significant.

After all, how much easier is it to market a shooting guard who dunks on people and hits game-winners, then a fundamentally sound power forward who does nothing highlight-reel worthy but has probably been the best defensive player in the NBA collectively over the past 12 years or so.

If anything the stats make Kobe look better, 81 point game, 35.4 PPG one season etc etc.

And let's not forget that while Kobe did "silence critics", those critics were only there because he made them be there. He could have gone about his business quietly, but the whole deal running Shaq out of town, being "selfish" etc was all his own-doing. The criticism was not undeserving and was not unjustified.

lol fair enough we need more polls like this i thought my griffin rose one was ok how about kevin love or pau gasol?

Don't even bother. That has no legs. Gasol is a 2 time champ who is solid on both ends of the floor and probably the best fundamentally sound big man in the game right now with Duncan on the decline.

Love is a guy who has had one break out season for a losing team. No comparison there.

If you want maybe Dirk/Pau would be better. Rose/Wade would also be good. Durant/Carmelo. Garnett/Duncan. Amar'e/Dwight.

Really?

Do you not think, that you thinking of Kobe, has a lot to do with him being pushed more by the NBA, given more exposure etc.

Even the titles that the Spurs won, if you compare them in your mind to the ones won by the Lakers, did not seem as glamorous or significant.

After all, how much easier is it to market a shooting guard who dunks on people and hits game-winners, then a fundamentally sound power forward who does nothing highlight-reel worthy but has probably been the best defensive player in the NBA collectively over the past 12 years or so.

If anything the stats make Kobe look better, 81 point game, 35.4 PPG one season etc etc.

And let's not forget that while Kobe did "silence critics", those critics were only there because he made them be there. He could have gone about his business quietly, but the whole deal running Shaq out of town, being "selfish" etc was all his own-doing. The criticism was not undeserving and was not unjustified.

...and this is why this debate will never get old.

ok here it is if you had been given a contract for 10 years and you had to pick 5 starters from these guys who would it be need to take age and stuff into concideration

carmelo anthony / kevin durant
dirk nowitzki / pau gasol
D Wade / D Rose
R Rondo / S Nash
D Howard / T Duncan

what you think

carmelo-dirk-rose-rondo-duncan.
rondo vs nash is a toughy...

EDIT: changed to carmelo.

lol no one is going to give nash a ten year contract but lets say its a one year contract now who are the 5 you pick surely would change some picks

wait are people trying to compare rondo vs nash and there overall career? or just at this specific moment in time?

cause career wise or in terms of 'greatness' rondos name does not deserve to be in the same sentence as nash...

lol we are saying if you had a one year contract as coach who would you take right now rondo or nash for next year?

haha thats what i thought but there are a lot of rondo lovers out there who have made ridiculous statements before... right now i would still take nash... that will prob change in 2 yrs for sure but not because rondos skills but because of nashs age factor...

Back
Top Bottom