where to from here??

Just read through the thread. Love hearing all opinions!

I've been back in the hobby as a player collector for around 10 years. My personal opinion is that the best year for a rainbow was 2012/13. Crusade had 6 variants, Prizm and Select had 4. It was easy to remember which ones I had and which ones I needed. Nowadays it's impossible to remember what parts of the rainbow I'm missing. I've updated my PC player websites (www.24pg13.com) to try and keep track but it was so much easier back in 12/13 as I didn't need a website...

From a business perspective I see why Panini has added more but I think it would be better for all involved in the hobby (player collectors, set collectors and investors) if there were less parallels in EVERY product. It adds so much more value to the secondary market... Same could be said for sticker autos and redemptions. If the number of autos were reduced to those that were on card it would mean there is still plenty of value in the secondary market for all players. Look at the NRL trading card market. You can sell what are considered lower

Does anyone know of anyone who has collected a full Prizm or Select rainbow in the past 5-6 years? I used to collect Brandon Knight and still remember the day I finished the 2012/13 Crusade Prizm. They were the only cards I displayed on my desk. What are player collectors going to do now if they collect the 41 card Prizm rainbow? Build a separate room to display them?

I seemed to lose interest when the Facebook scene took over and things slowed down here. Hopefully we can swing that back the other way! I know now I've made the decision to continue on with my PG PC I'll be around here a lot more!!!

Let's keep the fun in the hobby. Who's got some PG or Terrence Ross to trade me???

chatting with @Reignman40 and @nichj99 and it came up about being a player pcer in the current market and how essentially impossible it is!

Just did a bit of check
Marcus Camby Rc year (96-97 - so you could argue in the middle of the 90s boom!) - 107 cards
Donovan Mitchell - 569 cards (and still releases to come!)

so gone are the days where you could collect one of each card of your fave player - made me wonder also will this see people return to set collecting instead of pcing a player?

Just did a bit of check
Marcus Camby Rc year (96-97 - so you could argue in the middle of the 90s boom!) - 107 cards
Donovan Mitchell - 968 cards (2017 releases)
Luka Doncic - 1271 (2018 releases)

Zion already has 933 and at least another 10 releases to come!!!

Just read through the thread. Love hearing all opinions!

I've been back in the hobby as a player collector for around 10 years. My personal opinion is that the best year for a rainbow was 2012/13. Crusade had 6 variants, Prizm and Select had 4. It was easy to remember which ones I had and which ones I needed. Nowadays it's impossible to remember what parts of the rainbow I'm missing. I've updated my PC player websites (www.24pg13.com) to try and keep track but it was so much easier back in 12/13 as I didn't need a website...

From a business perspective I see why Panini has added more but I think it would be better for all involved in the hobby (player collectors, set collectors and investors) if there were less parallels in EVERY product. It adds so much more value to the secondary market... Same could be said for sticker autos and redemptions. If the number of autos were reduced to those that were on card it would mean there is still plenty of value in the secondary market for all players. Look at the NRL trading card market. You can sell what are considered lower

Does anyone know of anyone who has collected a full Prizm or Select rainbow in the past 5-6 years? I used to collect Brandon Knight and still remember the day I finished the 2012/13 Crusade Prizm. They were the only cards I displayed on my desk. What are player collectors going to do now if they collect the 41 card Prizm rainbow? Build a separate room to display them?

I seemed to lose interest when the Facebook scene took over and things slowed down here. Hopefully we can swing that back the other way! I know now I've made the decision to continue on with my PG PC I'll be around here a lot more!!!

Let's keep the fun in the hobby. Who's got some PG or Terrence Ross to trade me???
I’ve been collecting nrl for years, and decided to dip my toes into the NBA.
I don’t know much about the game, but some of the sets actually look great.
I think NRL cards have taken a nose dive, just the design hasn’t been there.
one of the sets that drew me into the NBA was the donruss 18/19, some of those cards look nice, though this year Prizm is just wow.
Hoops reminds me a lot of traders. It’s looks ok but the hits are sparingly. Some nice cards in there but...

I do team sets in NRL (sharks) , so I looked at this way in nba, though I saw the cost involved, so I picked two players and slowly collecting them (WCJ and Donovan Mitchell) plus I only looked at a few sets to Collect, once I saw there was over 28 sets to get, and say 40/60 per set, I was like stunned and went only a few :)
I haven’t really spent too much in geting 19/20 prizm parellels, though it has been hugely less than nrl.

Just did a bit of check
Donovan Mitchell - 968 cards (2017 releases)
Luka Doncic - 1271 (2018 releases)

Zion already has 933 and at least another 10 releases to come!!!

Hopefully the increased production is a reflection of increased demand. Otherwise we might be picking up Luka Prizms in 15 years time for $5 bucks and laughing (or crying) at how they were once $100. Looks like Zion will smash Doncic's numbers - Optic alone would have at least 30+ parallels across hobby, Fast Break, and Retail, one would think.

Too many products, that’s where it’s bloody at. Was going to say too expensive but thought - is it really? If you can only afford hoops and court kings you go for that, nothing to say you have to buy Prizm or Noir or NT is there?

Too much product. Very poorly designed, more parallels are not the answer in every product. Lack of innovation. Too many people trying to make a profit and see it as an “investment” with little to no understanding on how things work. Gary V has enhanced this and the greed culture it generates.

plus the isolation period has insanely inflated prices, as people have nothing to do

THEN factor in the fact that everyone thinks that they can make big bucks as a breaker - new ones popping up every day.

its not healthy.

All the razzes get filled though!!!! I've never seen so many razzes filled in my life!! People are clamouring for every morsel of NBA singles!! lol

I saw a razz on a FB group for 1 - YES ONE - Optic blaster and the dude had 20 spots @ $20!

And you know what, within 3 minutes 4 people had asked for spots!!!

I clarified if he had his pricing right and then people started to ask questions but man, people just jump in to anything without actually thinking.

It's fucking madness and part of the problem right now.

It's disappointing not being able to grab a decent valued box anymore : /
There used to be a good range between $150-$250

Watching the screen as someone else opens packs is in no way as enjoyable as busting them yourself

Lol I went through my purchases from 2017 for NFL and the shitty prizm box I bought for 100 was selling online for $7k+

I miss those days

Back
Top Bottom