What made you collect the player you collect?

AK cause the guys a freak........... hang on a minute I don;t collect AK47

AK-47-wants-to-drink-your-blood.jpg

hahah^^ thats classic!!

I collect Everything Jordan (cards, shoes , memorabilia and so on) Have been a fan of his since 91 when I first really got into bball.

Julius Hodge, because if things were better for him outside of bball when he was with Denver he coulda made it! And the fact he came out and played for Adelaide last season and tore the NBL apart.....

KG - pure passion and intensity - used to collect LJ and that was great fun, unfortunately his back gave out and he wasn't quite the same but still a good player.

I decided the next guy I collect would be taller so if his back gave out he could still get it done!!! Made my year seeing KG win a title this year....

Josh Childress after I picked up this card.
tpsfinestrcauto.jpg

I just admired the afro lol Plus I liked the hawks and thought he had some potential and the big thing for me he was CHEAP.
And now since hes gone to Greece for a years holiday (hopefully) DJ Augustin because I have wanted to collect a point gaurd for a while and hes on the Bobcats (another team I like) and I think Larry Brown may bury him on the bench for a year hopefully keeping his prices down :)

I use to be a point gaurd so I'm a huge fan of that position. They're like the quarter backs of basketball but on a different level.

Anyway, I first noticed Baron in the 2002 Playoffs when Charlotte faced the Magic in the first round. Charlotte were without Jamal Mashburn and Orlando were missing Grant Hill so it turned out to be a bit of a slug fest between Baron and McGrady. I watched the whole series live on ESPN, Charlotte knocked Orlando 3-1 (Best of 5) with Baron recording a triple double in the final game and I was a fan from then on. He could pass, he could create his shot, drop em from outside, take it the hole, rebound, steal - a pretty well rounded PG IMO.

With Farmar it's a no brainer. I'm a Laker fan and he came out of UCLA just like Baron. Plus he's affordable and I like the gamble that he may turn into a big name in the NBA or at least max his full potential. If not it's not about the money, it's more about collecting a Laker PG. if I could I'd be on the Magic train right now, he's the reason I'm a Laker fan, but I don't think I'd be enjoying my collection any more, it's still fun to me.

I'm a 3 Point shooter and would rather watch guys stroke 3s/jumpshots anyday over a dunk highlight real. Any hack can dunk (*cough* Gerald Green *cough*), but the art of the jumpshot is where the game is at. Without it, players fail. How often have you heard "If this guy develops a jumpshot, he'll be unstoppable"? Or just "If this guy develops a jump shot..."

Enter Kyle. I had always had a soft spot for Reggie Miller and Ray Allen, but Korver came along and I picked him as breaking out the year he did, so went with it.

As for Herbert Hill and Jason Smith? They were 76ers rookies and I was looking for some new excitement and rookie chase. Has been fun, but likely to have a quick death with Hill now in Europe and Smith down with an ACL tear...

The best dunker of all time is a hard thing to argue - there are old school dunkers and new school. The new dunkers on the scene are doing things the old school never dreamed of or thought could be done. As far as innovation and paving the way for future dunkers - I think Jordan takes the title hands down. There is alot of hype whenever people talk about dunks and Jordan, and rightfully so, because he did things in the air nobody else even tried at the time. When the average person thinks of the greatest dunker, Jordan is normally the first player to come to mind. But hey thats a whole other topic entirely.

Why do I collect Larry Bird?

Well, when I was heavily into the hobby over 10 years ago I actually collected Jordan. Back then he was my favourite player, as I thought he was the most amazing athlete I had ever seen.

Later down the track and now that I am back into the hobby, my tastes changed entirely.

Larry Bird is the essence of greatness in my mind. He totally turned the Celtics franchise 180 degrees when he was drafted, and his work ethic and pure genius ability to create scoring opportunities from impossible situations is something of what basketball Gods are made of.

He is arguably the greatest clutch player of all time - even greater than Jordan IMO. When the heat was on Bird was there to tear the competition apart.

Whats more - the first EVER pack of cards I brought had a Larry Bird card in it....it was the best pull of the pack.

There is a famous quote I once read about Larry Bird, but I can't remember who said it or where it is from, but it went something like...

"He's not the fastest, he's not the strongest, and he can't jump the highest, but he's the best".

How true. :worthy:

Normally MJ is the first to pop into peoples minds when it comes to the best player/Dunker,I like DrJ better though,Thats my opinion.;)
I would disagree about Bird being greater than MJ,But i agree that this thread was not intended to have a debate about who you like,Just to say why you like/collect a certian player.:v:

Normally MJ is the first to pop into peoples minds when it comes to the best player/Dunker,I like DrJ better though,Thats my opinion.;)
I would disagree about Bird being greater than MJ,But i agree that this thread was not intended to have a debate about who you like,Just to say why you like/collect a certian player.:v:

Thats right aussie, each to their own really.

But as for saying Bird was better than Jordan, thats not what I said, I said he was a better 'clutch' player. But thats a hard point to sell, seeing as the 2 best clutch players of all time would arguably be Bird and Jordan.

Put it this way - they are both renowned for doing crazy s&*t late in the 4th!

The thing I like about Bird though is that he would trash talk the hell out of his opponents, saying stuff like "I'm going to get the ball at the top of the arc, take 2 steps right and sink it", and then he would do just that right in front of them. Insane. :worthy:

ur all wrong, steve kerr is the best clutch player of all time!!! and the more i hear u guys talk about larry bird, the more i want to start collecting him!!

Anyone? Mines simple...He's the greatest Bulls player of all time...bar none oh and his turn around jumper in the 92 Olympics together with some of the best dunks ever seen.

Haha soo true, who is this mj everyone else talks about? never heard of him :p, Well for me its fresh in my mind. I was a big fan of mj and was watching clips of him and he passed it back for pippen with the dunk facial and I was just like wow. And then I saw his dunk where about 70% of his body was behind the board in mid air haha absolutely great! Loving it lol, the more clips I see, the more I want to dunk like that :p

I don't really player collect but the player I most look out for is Alonzo Mourning.

Why?

Plenty of people called him the original "beast of the east", he's one of the greatest players ever, definately top 70 of all time I'd say.

a repeat defensive player of the year, lead my team the miami heat to 4 or 5 straight atlantic division titles and 4 50+ win seasons.

7 time NBA All-Star.

but more importantly he's always been my favourite since i was exposed to the NBA.

sure some say he won't make the HOF and they're probably right. but if Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson think he deserves to make it, that's enough for me.

nobody wanted to mess with Alonzo before his kidney ailment, he was/is quite simply the most intense player to ever play the game with the most heart, leaves it out on the court all 48 minutes.

that's right, EVEN MORE than kevin garnett.

GO ZO #33!!

ps. top 10 all time blocks top 5 all time blocks per game :)

Charles Barkley: I would say it all started in 1996 when I went to the Jimmy V Golf Classic Tournament. He would always attend these tournaments and signed for everyone. I had got there a little late and went straight to the hole we was on. The rep that was designated to him noticed I had been trying to get an autograph for a few holes but wasnt getting anywhere with it. The rep walked over and said that he's seen me being cool and patient about it and said that he had pointed that out to Barkley who said he had also noticed the same thing. About 2/3 holes later, I was standing in an area where no one else had thought to stand, which was right where the hole led out to his golf cart, Barkley started to walk towards the big group off to the side then must have spotted me and came straight to me instead and signed whatever I asked. He said he appreciated me being cool about it unlike everyone else who were being pushy and asked me if I played golf as well. I told him I was already getting scholarship offers from universities for golf and said that he figured I must be pretty good. He then invited me into the 4some for the next two holes. Definitely an experience of a lifetime for me!

Charles Barkley: I would say it all started in 1996 when I went to the Jimmy V Golf Classic Tournament. He would always attend these tournaments and signed for everyone. I had got there a little late and went straight to the hole we was on. The rep that was designated to him noticed I had been trying to get an autograph for a few holes but wasnt getting anywhere with it. The rep walked over and said that he's seen me being cool and patient about it and said that he had pointed that out to Barkley who said he had also noticed the same thing. About 2/3 holes later, I was standing in an area where no one else had thought to stand, which was right where the hole led out to his golf cart, Barkley started to walk towards the big group off to the side then must have spotted me and came straight to me instead and signed whatever I asked. He said he appreciated me being cool about it unlike everyone else who were being pushy and asked me if I played golf as well. I told him I was already getting scholarship offers from universities for golf and said that he figured I must be pretty good. He then invited me into the 4some for the next two holes. Definitely an experience of a lifetime for me!

Pity he lost his swing more recently...did he get it back or it still screwy? Great story by the way!

J.R. SMITH - After watching him play in the McDonalds game, he blew everyone away with his 3pointers and dunks. He won co-MVP and was outstanding. Had no doubt I wanted to collect him after that game if he made it into the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom