What is a 'True' Rookie card

drob50

Magic Johnson and David Robinson ON CARD autos
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
None
Have seen this written a couple of times now but never new want they mean. What makes a rookie card a 'true' rookie card?

I have assumed that it meant no parallels but thought I'd ask

Thanks in advance

I would define a true rookie, as the rookie card which is part of the base set and not part of any insert sets, or parallels of the base version.

Take the National Treasures set for example, the true rookie would be the Patch auto /99, while the parallels /25 and the NBA Gear, Timelines auto etc, are just rookie year autos

A true rookie card is having a Blake Griffin 09/10 (where he was a rookie but didn't play) and not a 10/11 (where he won rookie of the year, but was actually a 2nd year player)

Cool thanks.

That's what I thought, no inserts or parallels. Shame that a base with an auto is treated better than a sweet insert with an auto though. Like griffins 09/10 rookies and stars 'true' rookie card would be a manufactured patch? I would rather the stickers on some of the inserts.

---------- Post added 08-07-2011 at 10:33 PM ----------

A true rookie card is having a Blake Griffin 09/10 (where he was a rookie but didn't play) and not a 10/11 (where he won rookie of the year, but was actually a 2nd year player)

Does that mean that David Robinson doesn't have a 'true' rookie card? He was drafted in 87 but didnt play until 89 because of navy commitments.

Just saying there is no set rule! Griffin is probably only considered a
09/10 rookie because Panini had already put a lot of time into his cards before he got injured?

Cool thanks.

That's what I thought, no inserts or parallels. Shame that a base with an auto is treated better than a sweet insert with an auto though. Like griffins 09/10 rookies and stars 'true' rookie card would be a manufactured patch? I would rather the stickers on some of the inserts.

---------- Post added 08-07-2011 at 10:33 PM ----------

Does that mean that David Robinson doesn't have a 'true' rookie card? He was drafted in 87 but didnt play until 89 because of navy commitments.

Just saying there is no set rule! Griffin is probably only considered a
09/10 rookie because Panini had already put a lot of time into his cards before he got injured?

If they made an 87 Robinson cards then that's his RC.
All I'm saying is there are people calling griffin 10/11 cards RCs.
Players don't get 2 years of RCs.

He has a rookie card, 1989-90 Hoops #138.

The normal, base, card from the NBA card set is considered to be a player's rookie card. Usually it is in the first year of their career, but some players have their first card, called their rookie card, later in their career.

It does get a bit complicated now, compared to the past with fewer sets, and one odd thing is that Rubio has lots of rookie cards already.

So which is more valuable:

base vs parallels?

rubio 11/12 vs his 9/10?

griffin 9/10 vs his 10/11?

CONFUSING!

With older cards ie David Robinsons era, it was the first card they appeared on that was base, not an insert.

These days it is much tougher to define. So many 'base' rookies are still autos these days. It can also be defined as the first card when a player appeared in an NBA uniform, but with the rookie photoshoots that is sort of out the window these days as well.

If they made an 87 Robinson cards then that's his RC.
All I'm saying is there are people calling griffin 10/11 cards RCs.
Players don't get 2 years of RCs.

True! Just sucks that Card Companies have more involvement than the NBA in deciding their Rookie Year for Cards. I guess with Griffin though, they might not have known he was gonna be out for the whole season???

With Robinson, I think he had 2 cards in the 89/90 Hoops base set, but one was series 2 so isn't referred to as a proper RC.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 09:10 PM ----------

With older cards ie David Robinsons era, it was the first card they appeared on that was base, not an insert.

These days it is much tougher to define. So many 'base' rookies are still autos these days. It can also be defined as the first card when a player appeared in an NBA uniform, but with the rookie photoshoots that is sort of out the window these days as well.

Ans with Upper Deck getting college only it makes it tougher on them to make a RC.

so for Blake griffin Prestige 09-10 his rookie card would be the first in the set as he has like 3 or 4 that has rookie on the card and they are all base??

From what I understand a players RC card is the first card in any series that is released. for example, I am Pretty sure that topps did not release a MJ card until the 90's which is still technically his official topps RC.

Back
Top Bottom