What do you think about this...

bukefal

:)
Real Name
MI
scaled.php

scaled.php

So this is how they basically do it. Unbelievable. They let the guy wear 20 consumer replica jerseys all together, then they cut pieces of it and put it in cards and sell it as 'worn by the player', 'event worn', 'used memorabilia'. I think this is pretty ridiculous. Its not even real authentic team apparel they are using, but just the cheap replica jerseys.

The jerseys are not even really 'worn' by the player, but just put on by him for 5 minutes and that 20 jerseys all together at once. Then he takes them off and they are labeled as worn, event worn, used memorabilia.

This is ridiculous and after seeing these pictures, I wont buy such cards anymore and might as well stop the whole trading card collecting. And then to think people, myself too, spend so much money on these little cards, some even thousands of dollars for what? Its just really bull****. For that money that you spend, you could buy so much more really game worn gear.

Hell, for the same thousands of dollars some people spend for a little cardboard card, you can buy a plane ticket + cover hotel expenses, pay the player a couple of bucks and you can see the freaking athlete in real life yourself, take pictures and get his autograph for free. Isn't that the best memory you can possibly have? Maybe if you ask him kindly, you can even give him a hug lol

It's just if you think about this and the whole trading card crazyness, then you come to think and realize; damn, what the hell are we doing. It's just really stupid. And no im not saying you shouldnt enjoy it, because I have enjoyed it a lot too. Its just that when you see it from another angle, its just strange.

Anyway, I've changed to collecting real game used jerseys lately.

This has been going on for ages. Upper deck used to even sew more patches on to jerseys to enable them to cut them up.

One of the reasons why they are using replica jerseys is because of the NFL lockout. None of the new Rookies have had jerseys made hence why they are using replicas and other players jerseys for them to wear and cut up.

The only benefit for buying event worn gear is that you have confidence that the player actually wore the jersey, not in a game but they did wear it. It may have only been for 30 seconds but they did wear it.

If the companies buy game used jerseys from auction houses, there is more of a chance that the jersey may not be authentic or worn by the player.

Cheers
Matt

:lol: Before reading I was thinking that he was like a steroid pumped Gladston Small. Maybe they can add on the back of the cards that "while wearing this jersey he gave 2 thumpsup and a goofy smile"

:lol: Before reading I was thinking that he was like a steroid pumped Gladston Small. Maybe they can add on the back of the cards that "while wearing this jersey he gave 2 thumpsup and a goofy smile"

Lmfao, I remember old Gladstone, man was a walking muscle with no neck and one eyebrow.

Least he was actually wearing the jersey if only for a short period of time.

That's why I prefer a good solid on card auto or inscription...when I can afford it! GU have been flooding the market and one reason I'm not a big patch collector - think of all those instant patches right there! Not a bad idea or look for an NFL player though - would absorb some impact. ...or maybe he had to catch a carry on luggage only discount airline flight? lol I would have looked similar everytime I set foot on Ryanair! heh heh

Anyone have any idea when this practice started to happen?

The first game jersey cards were released by Upper Deck in 1997-98. If I am not wrong Fleer/Skybox were the next to release jersey cards, followed by Topps.

The COA on the "old school" jersey cards expressly state that the "game jersey was worn by player X in an official NBA game" - I take it those are legitimate. Those are the only jersey cards I go for now.

This doesn't really bother me... I'm a big fan of patches & GUs and as long as it denotes on the card that it has been either Event Worn/Used or Game Worn/Used I have no reason to believe it isn't. But the fact of the matter is whether they are worn for an event or a game, for 30 seconds or 3 hours, it has still been worn and isn't that the point of these cards?

This doesn't really bother me... I'm a big fan of patches & GUs and as long as it denotes on the card that it has been either Event Worn/Used or Game Worn/Used I have no reason to believe it isn't. But the fact of the matter is whether they are worn for an event or a game, for 30 seconds or 3 hours, it has still been worn and isn't that the point of these cards?

personally i think theres a difference between worn/used for a purpose (e.g. its your uniform/s for the night) and worn/used because panini told you to so they could create a loop-hole and flood the market with worthless memorabilia. that pic shows just how ridiculous patches/swatches are these days. its also why theyve become vague over the wording of the guarantee on the back of cards.

personally i think theres a difference between worn/used for a purpose (i.e. its your uniform for the night) and worn/used because panini told you to so they could create a loop-hole and flood the market with worthless memorabilia. that pic shows just how ridiculous patches/swatches are these days. its also why theyve become vague over the wording of the guarantee on the back of cards.

well said.

if it does not say "game worn" on the back of the card, I don't bother anymore.

panini have taken it to a whole new level by saying something along the lines of "panini guarantees the event-worn patch" and not even specifying the player!

But dont they do this for rookies only so they can get some cards out in their rookie year? By next year all of their stuff are game worn

Would they all be wearing multiple jerseys at once? Looking at that pic i'd say he put them all on as a joke. I would imagine that the general proceedure would be to wear a jersey for a photo then switch to the next jersey 10 mins later. That's just how I'd picture it working.

Back
Top Bottom