What are your favourite basketball Books?

drob50

Magic Johnson and David Robinson ON CARD autos
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
None
I picked up a few Basketball books from Dave on here a little while ago which included 'When the game was ours' (Bird/Magic), Bill Simmons book of basketball (a biased basketball encyclopedia) and a couple of others.

I got the bug and ordered these from the US recently.

IMG_6731_zpsc88acf2a.jpg

Have always wanted to read Pistol and Personal Foul, but could never find in store or in ebook, so I got then from the US.

The Eleven Rings is one of the signed edition that people were talking about recently too. Managed to get a few copies pretty damn cheap, so I jumped on it!

They are all hand signed too! Here is one of the autos:

IMG_6730_zpsc6ea6297.jpg

Should be a fair while reading these, but I already have another order on the way! lol

What are your favourites?? So I know what to get next time!

My copy of Eleven Rings arrived about a week ago and it has been a pretty good read so far :) Would you recommend getting the Bird/Magic book?

Andrew Gaze's book is absolutely bloody hysterical :) The bit about the Greek method of celebrating wins -" a room-full of blokes grabbing each other's storks" is worth the price alone!

I have downloaded but not read as yet:

When the Garden Was Eden - about the Knicks successful Walt Frazier era
My Life - Magic Johnson
Wilt - Larger than Life - biography of Wlit Chamberlain

I love "When the Game Was Ours", ties in perfectly with this

My copy of Eleven Rings arrived about a week ago and it has been a pretty good read so far :) Would you recommend getting the Bird/Magic book?

Nice!
And yes! I HIGHLY recommend reading it! One of my favourite books! It doesn't get caught up in irrelevant details and still manages to tell some great stories!

Andrew Gaze's book is absolutely bloody hysterical :) The bit about the Greek method of celebrating wins -" a room-full of blokes grabbing each other's storks" is worth the price alone!

I have downloaded but not read as yet:

When the Garden Was Eden - about the Knicks successful Walt Frazier era
My Life - Magic Johnson
Wilt - Larger than Life - biography of Wlit Chamberlain

I love "When the Game Was Ours", ties in perfectly with this

Awesome! I will check them out! I already have My Life incoming.

I met Andrew Gaze a couple of years ago. He was great to chat with and seems like a genuine nice and funny guy!

Just finished Eleven Rings, now reading some books on Buddhism because of it! Inspirational stuff.

Then your standard Jordan biographies, the one by Halberstam or whatever his name is

"When The Game Was Ours" is awesome!

I also enjoyed "Can I Keep My Jersey" by Paul Shirley and "Basketball Junkie" by Chris Herren.

I have just started reading "The Last Season" by Phil Jackson, which is great so far and I have "Dream Team" by Jack McCallum sitting here waiting. I plan to order Eleven Rings soon and John Stockton's upcoming book "Assisted".

Aussie/NBL wise, Andrew Gaze has a couple of good books, Brett Maher's book isnt bad and if you can find it, Cal Bruton's book is good. Running With The Bulls by Luc Longley is pretty good too.

"When The Game Was Ours" is awesome!

I also enjoyed "Can I Keep My Jersey" by Paul Shirley and "Basketball Junkie" by Chris Herren.

I have just started reading "The Last Season" by Phil Jackson, which is great so far and I have "Dream Team" by Jack McCallum sitting here waiting. I plan to order Eleven Rings soon and John Stockton's upcoming book "Assisted".

Aussie/NBL wise, Andrew Gaze has a couple of good books, Brett Maher's book isnt bad and if you can find it, Cal Bruton's book is good. Running With The Bulls by Luc Longley is pretty good too.
Nice! Make sure you hit me up with any you get rid of after you read them! ;)

The Breaks of the Game is a great book - it follows the Trailblazers through 79-80 coming down from their championship run.

Good question, i was searching pretty hard for them for a while and a chick in the states had them all for sale. Pretty sure i managed to get all these from her too.

Have to hunt down a miami/spurs one.

A couple of newer books that have received outstanding reviews are:

Assisted: An Autobiography - John Stockton
Dr. J - The Autobiography - Julius Erving

Which I can't wait to get stuck in to!

I picked up a few Basketball books from Dave on here a little while ago which included 'When the game was ours' (Bird/Magic), Bill Simmons book of basketball (a biased basketball encyclopedia) and a couple of others

I love Simmons' Book of Basketball, amazing read.

Terry Pluto's book on the ABA "Loose Balls" is an amazing read too. I would highly recommend it to any basketball fan who loves NBA history

I've got the following:

Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball - totally killer! over 700 pages its epic... one of my faves for sure, youll love it if you like lists, nba history and just generally love immersing yourself in nba knowledge
Personal Foul - about Tim Donaghy's referee scandal a few years back... very insightful to the inner workings of the league
Jordan Rules... pretty good
Relentless - Tim Grover... MJ, Kobe & Wade had him as their personal trainer - knows his stuff and this is a good book
Chicken Soup for the Soul - Inside Basketball... full of little stories throughout
Playing For Keeps also ripper read by David Halberstam talking about MJ's career...
Sacred Hoops - Phil Jacksons first book... he has a fascinating mindset so different to everyone else in the basketball world
Eleven Rings - Phil Jackson latest book giving insight into his days as a knick, bulls and laker... good stuff
When Nothing Else Matters - about MJ's time with the Wizards... a little meh
The art of a beautiful game - former SI writer Chris Ballard talks about his fave NBA stories... really liked this book, underrated
7 Seconds or Less - the Phoenix Suns during the Nash/D'Antoni era... follows the suns for the entire season
Taking Shots - a very cool book from the point of view of former NBA agent Keith Glass and the trials and tribulations agents and fringe NBA players face trying to get contracts and earn a living... recommended
Loose Balls -Jayson Williams... funny funny stories about the NBA and its players refs etc... very entertaining stuff
Dream Team - Jack McCallum as he followed around the legendary 1992 Dream Team... charles barkely focuses prominently, funny
The Franchise - Cameron Stauth... written about the championship winning Detroit Pistons teama from the late 80's and how the teams were built etc... older book and harder to find
Daly Wisdom - Pat Williams... the life and times of legendary Chuck Daly
How to be like Mike - Pat Williams
How to be like Coach Wooden - Pat Williams
Plus Ive got a few Walt Frazier books too including The Game Within The Game signed :)

Drive - Larry Bird autobiography... havent read this yet
When the game was ours - Magic/Bird... got it but havent read it yet

As you can tell Im an NBA junkie :) and love reading about the league

Some great lists in here now

I am currently reading West by West -Jerry West and Mr Basketball- George Mikan. Both good so far!

Back
Top Bottom