Underrated Footy Players

MetallicA'

Ricky Davis Collector
eBay User
senyac1
I will just name 2 players from my club Melbourne but feel free to include others and give your opinions. This has been inspired from an article i just read on James McDonald. If you want we could do 2 per club ;)

1. James McDonald - Is in his 10th season and playing the best football of his career. This year he has produced a match winning goal against the Roos and statistically kicking ass. At 30 years old he is #1 in the AFl in tackles with 63 and averaging a massive 21 disposals a game :eek: . This guy has never got credit where its due even this season so i would like to give a shout out to JMac a MFC legend. :D

2. Matthew Whelan - The Guy is one of the best defenders/tacklers in the AFL full stop. His tackles are vice like and mirror some big tackles that are made in the nrl. Without him in our defence we crumble so i hope he stays injury free. One of the best Indiginous players imo that rarely gets beaten. One that defiantly goes un-recognised!

pce =P~

Good idea for a thread Jon!

1. DREW BANFIELD - Hasn't had a lot of game time this year due to recovering from injury but this old Subi boy gets little recognition. A best and fairest player 1996, AFL Rising Star nominee 1994, premiership side 1994 and still going strong at 32. Has had handy touches and provided strong contests in his 2 games so far this year, earning his spot in the side.

2. Adam Hunter - Has been a key player for us long before his goal scoring won him praise in last years finals series. Along with Glass, was an underrated key defender only gaining recognition recently. We need two of him.

Brent Reilly: young midfield gun who racks up shitloads of disposals, will be the heart of the crows midfield for the future.

Nathan Van Berlo: ditto with reilly, will be the cornerstone of trhe next generation for the crows in the midfield.

Trent Hentschel: can be a superstar forward if he works on his game a bit. strong hands and a great marker, but kicking lets him down. also general fitness and muscle needs to be worked on. but weve seen glimpses of his promise, eg kicking a lazy 8 against the bombers last week. hes even got the nickname Trent Potential! :D

i said two per club JZA ;) Reilly will be a gun for you guys in the future but i havent seen much of this Van Berlo.

Mcdonald and Banfield could both been thrown in the same boat, they are vets that have given so much for their respected clubs. Hunter is also another great defender that sneaks under a few guards.
some good names their!

JZA: Reilly can't kick for shit, otherwise good. Crows most underrated player by a mile is Tyson Edwards, he's an absolute superstar.

As for the Dons:

Andrew Welsh: Regular gives up 4-5 goals to the opposition, opposition sides underrate his value to them.

Kepler Bradley: Usually does about 2 good things a game and 15 shockers, another player that other teams just don't appreciate like they should when they play us.

bargey said:
JZA: Reilly can't kick for shit, otherwise good. Crows most underrated player by a mile is Tyson Edwards, he's an absolute superstar.

reilly's kick is good enough (for the moment) for his role in the team: a crumber whose main job is handballs out of the pack, his kicking will improve over his career, hes only a very young bloke remember!

as for ty, i was thinking more along the lines of young underrated players, but yeah definitely he has been one of the most underrated players of all time, all through his career. its just that he has been overhadowed by the other gun players like goodwin, mcleod, roo in the midfield. on a crappy team he would easily be their top midfielder.

bargey said:

As for the Dons:

Andrew Welsh: Regular gives up 4-5 goals to the opposition, opposition sides underrate his value to them.

Kepler Bradley: Usually does about 2 good things a game and 15 shockers, another player that other teams just don't appreciate like they should when they play us.

lol Bargey... thats one way to look at 'underrated' players... :lol:

Shane O'bree

Paul Lircuria

Both are absolute workhorses in the midfield but often overlooked

bargey said:

As for the Dons:

Ok i would have said andy welsh too.. but not kepler... he's our answer to lockan from the pies days..

Pies underated players in my mind would be:

Nick Maxwell, always gets a tough job week in and week out and most of the time does his job well.

Heath Shaw, highly talented, ultra cool under pressure. Alot of his running in games has been the reason we get the ball down to the forwards so quick.

Special mention: Swanny, Lockyer and Lonie.

hey mate well not too many players these days can kick goals outside of 50 pretty constinantly. One of the best long kicks in the comp i think IMO.

Also this season has seen a much more mature Lonie, playing key roles for the Pies in defense and being able to run the ball through the middle. In some cases even kick the odd goal.

i agree with Maxwell, Shaw and Lockyer
but.
I wouldnt think Swan would be put in the underrated catorgry :)
and Lonie isnt as good as you say he is. Most players these days can kick beyond 50 with ease. :shock:

The reason Swann is underated is quite simple, teams dont match him up. Therefore they hav no respect for him which i think deserves an underated tag.

As for Lonie its just MO, and his brother who turned it on today for the Power is another good player.

Back
Top Bottom