Top 10 Unrecognized Stars in the NBA

Who is the most unrecognized star in the league?

• Total voters

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Who are the most unrecognized stars in the league? I mean guys who are All-Star level talents but barely get any recognition. No offense to guys like Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes etc, but I don't mean role players who do little things that aren't recorded in the box score. Most of the guys I'm going to list are either a result of too many talented players at their position, playing for a small-market team, or not being overly marketable/marketed by the league. Have a read and state who you think warrants consideration that I didn't include.

Al Jefferson (2010-11 Stats - 18.6 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 1.9 BPG, 49% FG)
Jefferson has the ability to be a prolific scorer and is one of the few legitimate low-post scorers in the league who boasts an array of moves and fundamentally sound footwork. He averaged over 20-10 for consecutive seasons in Minnesota, but injuries and lack of winning have hindered his popularity and recognition. He is yet to have played in an All-Star game.

Eric Gordon (2010-11 Stats - 22.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1.9 3PTM)
Gordon is my wild-card pick for this list. The reason for this is because while his numbers are impressive, he only played in 56 games this season. Despite this he was extremely consistent when healthy and put on some scintillating displays offensively including out-dueling Kobe when the Clippers beat the Lakers in January (Gordon dropped 30 on 65% shooting, Kobe finished with 27 on less than 50%). Any other season there would be buzz about Gordon, but not when Blake Griffin is having his debut season for the team.

Andrew Bogut (2010-11 Stats - 12.8 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 2.8 BPG, 49% FG)
The Bucks go as Bogut goes, so when Bogut didn't return to shooting form this year the Bucks offense struggled. The result? They didn't make the playoffs. This speaks volumes about Bogut's overall value to the team, as he not only anchors the defense but creates scoring opportunities for his teammates. He lead the league in blocks and averaged a double-double for the third straight season. He was named All-NBA 3rd last season but still gets no recognition. Hopefully he's healthy next season so he can finally be an All-Star.

Rudy Gay (2010-11 Stats - 19.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.7 SPG, 1.1 BPG)
Gay is the first of two Grizzlies on this list and gets no attention because he plays for them. He was having an incredible statistical season, contributing in every category, before his season was ended by injury. Regardless he's shown that this is no fluke, and he's also a clutch player who hit a few game-winners this season. Since his rookie season he's never averaged less than 18.9 PPG and has markedly improved his outside shooting and passing. It's scary thinking what the Grizzlies could do with a healthy Rudy.

Monta Ellis (2010-11 Stats - 24.1 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 5.6 APG, 2.1 SPG, 45% FG)

Are any of you surprised? Ellis was a major snub at All-Star weekend this year and he is the most prolific and unstoppable scorer in the league who has yet to be recognized at the mid-season classic. While early in his career he was a selfish scorer, he's matured and become a better play-maker in addition to becoming more efficient. He's also always among the league leaders in steals and he's one of the quickest, most explosive guards in the league. Unfortunately when you play for the Warriors you get jack-squad from the media.

Kevin Martin (2010-11 Stats - 23.5 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 2.2 3PTM, 88% FT)
The second most prolific scorer in the league who has yet to be selected for an All-Star game, Martin funnily enough had his breakout season the same year that Ellis did. Both were front-runners for the MIP Award and Martin came up short. Regardless Martin has suffered in the same way that Ellis has, playing for the Kings until recently joining the Rockets. Martin is a lights out shooter and crafty at getting to the rim, but his case is not as strong as Ellis' as he's more of an inefficient volume scorer. Regardless, he deserves recognition and probably won't get it until the Rockets reemerge in the West as a contender.

LaMarcus Aldridge (2010-11 Stats - 21.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 50% FG)
Aldridge was the biggest snub from the ASG. I love Griffin and Love but unlike Aldridge neither of them were actually helping their teams win. Aldridge then proceeded to average a ridiculous 24.9 PPG & 10.4 RPG and 27.8 PPG & 9.3 RPG in the months of January and February to prove he was deserving. He also dropped 40 on the spurs and 42 on the Bulls as the Blazers won both games. Yes, he is valuable. Up until this season he was considered soft, and this season he was massively underrated. Hopefully next season he gets his due.

Zach Randolph (2010-11 Stats - 20.1 PPG, 12.2 RPG, 2.2 APG, 50% FG)

Randolph is an absolute beast on the block and is a rebounding machine too. He's one of the few players who dominates offensively despite not being very explosive. Right now he's showing his worth as he was undoubtedly the MVP of the Grizzlies-Spurs series in which the Grizz just became the second team in history to beat a #1 seed in a 7 game series. Randolph has averaged 20-10 in 6 of his 10 seasons and has only been an All-Star (last season) once (and the only player on this list to be named to any All-Star teams).

Josh Smith (2010-11 Stats - 16.5 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 1.3 SPG, 1.6 BPG, 47% FG)
J-Smoove has made highlight reels for his shot-blocking and dunks since his rookie season. He falls into the curse of lacking a jump-shot, and for that reason he's a Rajon Rondo or Andre Iguodala type star. The guy who can do everything but gets hated on because he will rarely take over a game offensively. While Smith is a regular Defensive POY candidate, if he was a bit less lazy and worked on his ball-handling and shooting, he could easily be a top 5 player in the league. Despite this, he's still majorly unrecognized as Al Horford continues to make the All-Star team despite Smith contributing more all-around for the team season round.

Luis Scola (2010-11 Stats - 18.3 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 50% FG)

Before coming to the league Scola was the best player in Europe. Since he's been in the league he's become an impact player and this past season was the best frontcourt scoring option for the Rockets. Last season he averaged 16.2 PPG and 8.6 APG and he upped those numbers this season while continuing to play efficiently. He may be the most unrecognized player on this list because his name NEVER comes up, probably because he's international and also not flashy whatsoever.

Honorable Mention
Andre Iguodala: Close but unfortunately his inability to take over a game offensively seems to keep him from this list. He's not really that underrated as people do appreciate his athleticism and all-around abilities.
David West: Would make most lists like these, but he's never really been a prolific player. He's consistent, and he's been rewarded with two All-Star selections before.
Paul Millsap: Hard-worker and very good player, but unfortunately there's another forward on his own team who is better and receives as little attention.
Deron Williams: A season ago he would have made this list, and it's ridiculous that it took him over three seasons to be named an All-Star. The last two seasons however he's received consecutive All-NBA berths, even if they are a bit overdue.
Luol Deng: Has strung together two great seasons, averaging a few notches under 20 PPG and defending at an elite level. Needs to be closer to a number one option to make this list though.

Monta for me, if he played for any of the more recognised teams he'd be an all star by now

you could make a great argument for any of those players...but for me zach randolph today against the spurs...legendary stuff!!!

nice thread jimbo... big zach for my pick on this one

Yeah figured we hadn't really had an interesting topic apart from player/team bashing lately, so rewind to the past with one of my old topical type ones. Also good for the young guys who are writing articles, get them thinking creatively with topics like this.

Zach seems to be the popular choice because of what he's doing right now. It's interesting that Memphis is a great fit for him, previously he posted great numbers on different teams but wasn't considered a great all-around or team player. I picked Monta because I think his skills/talents/stats are all Top 10 in the league, but he doesn't even get the recognition of a Top 20 player.

fUNNY THING WITH rUDEY gAY IS WHEN HE WENT DOWN FOR THE SEASON tONY aLLEN CAME INTO THE STARTING LINEUP, THEY STARTED PLAYING SUFFOCATING d AND STARTING BEATING EVERYONE!!! (bugger can't be stuffed rewriting that!!)

LMAO nice post! :lol:

Btw....... I think Gay was replaced in the SL by Young..... Allen replaced Mayo, which is why he went to the bench & that's pretty much when they started winning..... they just continued winning when Gay got injured.

Actually it was a straight Allen/Gay swap as I picked up Allen in fantasy as soon as it happened. Young was put in later in the year.

Has to be Monta Ellis. The guy is one of the best players at putting up points in a hurry. The guy never gets talked about, maybe because his in a very underrated team in GSW. He should of made last seasons all star game but he didn't. Also him and Steph Curry are one of the best one-two punches in the NBA. Very underrated. Maybe a new team is the best way for Monta to go at the moment.

If it was the start of the season I would choose Millsap but Zach Randolph .... WOW! This guy deserves to be an all-star by the way he has been playing lately.

monta is a great player and flat out scorer, and probably is underated but...the talent level they have their they should be able to make the playoffs, i know their record was reasonable this year, still think that puts him along with kevin martin behind some of the other names listed above...monta/kevin in the playoffs and it would change my vote!

monta is a great player and flat out scorer, and probably is underated but...the talent level they have their they should be able to make the playoffs, i know their record was reasonable this year, still think that puts him along with kevin martin behind some of the other names listed above...monta/kevin in the playoffs and it would change my vote!

Dunno if that's fair though. It's a team sport and the team's success shouldn't determine how the player is measured absolutely.

Look at Gasol. In his seasons at Memphis I think he made the playoffs once? He wasn't even considered a Top 5 player at his own position. Since joining the Lakers and winning, while not doing anything that differently to what he did in Memphis (although he has gotten tougher), he's now being debated always as a Top 2 or 3 player at his position and often considered one of the Top 10 in the league overall.

---------- Post added 01-05-2011 at 11:54 PM ----------

Randolph leading the way with 11 votes (no doubt due to his impressive showing against the Spurs) and Ellis in close pursuit with 10. No other player has more than 3 votes (Eric Gordon).

I gave my vote to big Al coz he gets no dues. Other guys on the list I would say are better like Gay, Ellis, Gordon or Aldridge but they also get a lot more recognition IMO.
I would ad Zach Randolph might take the spot by the end of the week, but hes also getting the recognition, at least this week.

Back
Top Bottom