TLA Traders 2021 Official Thread

So are legends signatures but collectors like the continuity from one year to the next. People obviously do collect the startoons and really it is a entry level subset that you can put together a numbered set for a reasonable cost.
I did prefer the league leaders in hobby starters from last year more than the startoons in retail. I guess one of the issues with what to put into starters is having a even distribution of cards between all clubs. Startoons is a easy one to do and keep a even distribution, with the shift to team collecting over chasing a master set a more even distribution would help sales.
Comparing legends signatures and Startoons, even numbered ST’s is like comparing a sultana and a bottle of 1951 Penfolds Grange...

The key word here is easy too distribute and when you can just roll out the same theme year after year, that is just lazy. The amount of concepts that could be used is astonishing. The League Leaders in hobby starters were nice cards last year that were affordable and now they are case cards. Crazy.

Continuity is great for the right subset such as Retirements and even Club Heroes. Numbered Startoons certainly make a starter pack more attractive but the fact that 3 packs at a discounted rate and that starters seemed to hit well also helps the cause.

From a team collectors perspective there are more than enough cards for each team to go around, possibly even too many with 3/4 of Elite mojo’s being inserted as singles now.

Last edited:
From a team collectors perspective there are more than enough cards for each team to go around, possibly even too many with 3/4 of Elite mojo’s being inserted as singles now.
Not if you look at traders in isolation and elite is a separate release not part of it, All you have most years is a signature and predictor for every team. Sure there might be a second sig some years, 4&2 or similar or a legends but for many teams 2 numbered cards for the release is it without the numbered parallels in starters and priority.

Not if you look at traders in isolation and elite is a separate release not part of it, All you have most years is a signature and predictor for every team. Sure there might be a second sig some years, 4&2 or similar or a legends but for many teams 2 numbered cards for the release is it without the numbered parallels in starters and priority.
But 99% of collectors collect both releases so it can’t be looked at in isolation. Last year there were two numbered ST’s per team (4 if you collect the group card), the predictor, an authentic and a 4 & 2. The PIF’s are also numbered and despite not being in packets carry the Traders logo. As you mentioned now there is a priority which is another three numbered cards per team.

If you recall though, my gripe wasn’t about there being numbered cards in starters packs, it was the repetition of ST’s for the fourth year running. As mentioned, there are so many other themes to be used and to keep with ST’s is pure laziness and it reflected in the lack of value a /100 ST holds.

But 99% of collectors collect both releases so it can’t be looked at in isolation. Last year there were two numbered ST’s per team (4 if you collect the group card), the predictor, an authentic and a 4 & 2. The PIF’s are also numbered and despite not being in packets carry the Traders logo. As you mentioned now there is a priority which is another three numbered cards per team.

If you recall though, my gripe wasn’t about there being numbered cards in starters packs, it was the repetition of ST’s for the fourth year running. As mentioned, there are so many other themes to be used and to keep with ST’s is pure laziness and it reflected in the lack of value a /100 ST holds.
i would say nowhere near 99% of collectors collect both Traders and Elite...
a tonne more people (possibly double or triple) collect Traders than collect Elite..... for a start Elite is basically only available from dealers now and that rules out hundreds of collectors who don't even know dealers exist

They pretty much are a bonus card and have even been advertised as such previously. I think you mentioned it but with starters you have already been getting a discount on buying 3 loose packs. Seem to be enough hits coming out of starters that I dont believe your odds are any worse than buying 3 loose retail packs and then you have a startoon parallel on top.
The ratio the 1/100 are in packs is about 1:12 or the equivalent to a box hit. The fact they hold as much value as they do is what amazes me.
I guess they could have done similar to priority, increased the price of starters substantially and they would more then likely be worth more.

I do agree they have plenty of other options but I am not going to complain about the effort put into a card that is effectively a bonus card that costs me nothing and in a way they are subsidizing people chasing with the discount of starters against loose packs.

They pretty much are a bonus card and have even been advertised as such previously. I think you mentioned it but with starters you have already been getting a discount on buying 3 loose packs. Seem to be enough hits coming out of starters that I dont believe your odds are any worse than buying 3 loose retail packs and then you have a startoon parallel on top.
The ratio the 1/100 are in packs is about 1:12 or the equivalent to a box hit. The fact they hold as much value as they do is what amazes me.
I guess they could have done similar to priority, increased the price of starters substantially and they would more then likely be worth more.

I do agree they have plenty of other options but I am not going to complain about the effort put into a card that is effectively a bonus card that costs me nothing and in a way they are subsidizing people chasing with the discount of starters against loose packs.
starters are no longer discounted

Each to their own I guess.

i would say nowhere near 99% of collectors collect both Traders and Elite...
a tonne more people (possibly double or triple) collect Traders than collect Elite..... for a start Elite is basically only available from dealers now and that rules out hundreds of collectors who don't even know dealers exist

Thanks Keith. I can’t say I have done a poll or survey but for the category of collector I have dealt with, and my observations on both here, FB pages and other forums, all bar one or two collect both Traders and Elite.

Thanks Keith. I can’t say I have done a poll or survey but for the category of collector I have dealt with, and my observations on both here, FB pages and other forums, all bar one or two collect both Traders and Elite.
yep...i would say most of those on Ozcard for sure collect both.. the percentage drops but is still high for those on FB pages... and then there are the hundreds of collectors who aren't.on either platform

starters are no longer discounted
Even at the same price as 3 loose packs the startoon is effectively a free bonus card.

I am one who is two lol
The other thing to keep in mind is starters is very much a entry point into the hobby, I dont know any kids that collect elite or even know of its existence. Startoons no doubt appeals to them more than it does older collectors. If they can pull a numbered card they are very happy
It doesnt worry them that it might be numbered to 175 and only be worth $10 it is a one of a kind. Starters gives them a realistic shot at pulling a numbered card.

You hear all this talk about gateway drugs etc well I guess traders are the gateway to card collecting. Cards serious collectors dont like or think of as valueless are the stuff that sees kids hooked and develop into serious collectors.

Maybe occasionally we need to step back at look at entry level releases through the eyes of a 8 or 10 year old instead of a jaded long time collector.

Even at the same price as 3 loose packs the startoon is effectively a free bonus card.

I am one who is two lol
The other thing to keep in mind is starters is very much a entry point into the hobby, I dont know any kids that collect elite or even know of its existence. Startoons no doubt appeals to them more than it does older collectors. If they can pull a numbered card they are very happy
It doesnt worry them that it might be numbered to 175 and only be worth $10 it is a one of a kind. Starters gives them a realistic shot at pulling a numbered card.

You hear all this talk about gateway drugs etc well I guess traders are the gateway to card collecting. Cards serious collectors dont like or think of as valueless are the stuff that sees kids hooked and develop into serious collectors.

Maybe occasionally we need to step back at look at entry level releases through the eyes of a 8 or 10 year old instead of a jaded long time collector.
Some valid points regarding kids but again, the initial aspect of the conversation was my opinion that a fourth year of ST’s (5 if you count 2017 and the album parallel) was quite lazy from TLA. You had a different opinion to this. ST’s would not be the only card able to be produced that would be attractive to kids, why not try a different theme? I know kids collect or at least dabble in Traders and we had a release aimed specifically at them for 4 years (Powerplay) which flopped.

Some valid points regarding kids but again, the initial aspect of the conversation was my opinion that a fourth year of ST’s (5 if you count 2017 and the album parallel) was quite lazy from TLA. You had a different opinion to this. ST’s would not be the only card able to be produced that would be attractive to kids, why not try a different theme? I know kids collect or at least dabble in Traders and we had a release aimed specifically at them for 4 years (Powerplay) which flopped.
Dont tell kids about elite,
You may not get numbered cards your after, kids will treat them like cardboard.
Kids will rob there parents to get more cards.

Dont tell kids about elite,
You may not get numbered cards your after, kids will treat them like cardboard.
Kids will rob there parents to get more cards.
Tell kids about Elite and give them your unwanted doubles.

Kids may do extra jobs around the house to get more pocket money.

Kids may become life long collectors and help keep the hobby alive.

Ross

My order of 2x mini cases of starter packs has been received by Australia Post this morning, should arrive on Tuesday.

Anyone else have orders on the way?

I've pulled my cards out in front of my 1 year old a few times. She gets excited and laughs. Think she might be a collector one day too.

Back
Top Bottom