The Offical Spurs v Cavs NBA Finals Thread

Who will win and in how many

• Total voters
I don't think it is. I would like the Cavs back in the finals next year and in the coming years but they got to surround Lebron with consistent offensive players. I can not name anyone in their line up who can give Lebron scoring help every single game.

This was their line up to play against the Spurs!!! (it's really a joke if we will think that they will win the championship.)
POS--- STARTER ------------ BACKUP
PG---- Larry Hughes --------- Eric Snow
SG---- Sasha Pavlovic ------- Damon Jones
SF---- LeBron James -------- Ira Newble
PF---- Drew Gooden --------- Donyell Marshall
C----- Zydrunas Ilgauskas --- Anderson Varejao

They should let go Larry Hughes, he was good when he was with the sixers but not anymore. He's always injured.

They got good 3 pt shooters in Damon Jones and Marshall (not enough) but they dont give these guys more minutes unlike the Spurs have around 6 players who can knocked down the 3's consistently and only Robert Horry (16mins) plays less than 20 mins a game in the regular season...

They need someone strong in the middle and I couldn't decide who to let go between "Z", Gooden or Varejao. Maybe replace them all! :)

They can give Gibson a chance next year as a starter. He rattled when he started in game 3. If they start him right in the begining of the season, he might be ready in the playoffs as a starter.

The should keep Pavlovic. :thumbsup: He's electrifying on offense (like Manu) but needs to work more on the defense.

Congratulations to the SPURS!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

the problem is when lebron's contract is up he will ask the money like kobe did. this will keep cavs spending money on good players and can only afford to buy those crappy players on the free agent.

alrighty, now Ive seen games 1, 2 and 4.

I didnt see many objectionable calls at all..either way. if people want to bitch about Manu, take a look at Varejao the guys stacks it inbounding!

Game 4 was a real eye opener though - I think perhaps Lebron was tired? He did just become a father and I can imagine that would keep you awake etc...as he just wasnt as good as I thought he was...and it wasnt bowens defense either - I actually felt Bowen layed off Lebron a great deal...if you watch Kobe vs Bowen and James vs Bowen you'll understand what I mean.

Like I said, Ihavent seen game 3 so I wont comment on this 'foul' at the end of the game - but in the games Ive seen, I havent seen any "dirty" things from bruce...he's usually 3 steps in front of Lebron, daring his to shoot jumpers.

So this brings me to my next point...Lebron James has a LONG way to go before he's the next MJ, I think its totally unfair to the guy.

Even comparing young MJ to young Lebron isnt fair. MJ carved through defenses for dunks in his younger years, then developed a deadly jumper. But the big thing with Mj is he didnt make mistakes.

3 times in the 4th Lebron made mistakes/turnovers that you wouldnt see in social comp games - he missed a lot of Ft's too, and his jumper just isnt that great - when you rely on powering your way to the basket, having Duncan/Oberto/Elson/Horry to shoot over makes it a definate hard task.

I also was surprised at some of the cavs players looks in the 4th quarter...I dont think Coach Brown had these guys committed. Gooden looked pissed he was sitting for so long. Van Gundy constantly came up with better tactics as a commentator....I think Mike Brown left it all up to Lebron! Mju always had Phil in his corner.

So to conclude, axeman - some of the comments Ive read of yours makes it sounds like this game was officiated like Lakers vs Kings in 2002 I think. When The Lakers shot 40 FT's in the 4th quarter with Scot Pollard called for fouls for breathing.

the refs actually didnt decide any of the games at all - perhaps elimintating some careless turnovers and some better coaching (ie Lebron in the block on every play!) would have got the cavs a win or two.

Even Lebron admitted that it wasn't the refs' fault but his in that game 3's last shot. Lebron said that if he had played better it wont come to that last shot.

He really look very tired in this series specially game 4. Can't blame him... He managed to get the Cavs in the finals with little help and that is one great achievement. I can name a lot of great players that was not able to get to the finals but there's no point. We all know who they are anyways. :v:

I think the Cavs just stunk on offense in this series. They have all the time in the world on those open jump shots in game 3 but made just a few. Maybe just 20%. So I liked the way Lebron sees it and Im confident this experience will make him better in years to come...

Also comparing Lebron to MJ, people need to stop that. MJ is MJ! no one else :D

OK here's something that'll make a few ppl angry i'm sure....

If LeBron improves for the rest of his career as quickly as he has since he started, and becomes more consistent in big games... he will be better than Jordan.

:eek:

mind you if his team around him remains as shit he won't win rings... (no pippen rodman grant kerr on that cavs team) - mind you if gibson keeps getting better and they get a new star addition...

na sorry mate,......no one will be better than MJ.......not LeBron...not Kobe...not anyone...

Kobe and LeBron have both lost in the NBA Finals........MJ didnt....6/6
Kobe: 3/4
LeBron: 0/1

That to me stands by itself.

Have a sit down and have a big long think about what MJ did....if you put MJ's best team against LeBron's best team......or even one on one........MJ will come out on top...

alrighty, now Ive seen games 1, 2 and 4.

I didnt see many objectionable calls at all..either way. if people want to bitch about Manu, take a look at Varejao the guys stacks it inbounding!

Game 4 was a real eye opener though - I think perhaps Lebron was tired? He did just become a father and I can imagine that would keep you awake etc...as he just wasnt as good as I thought he was...and it wasnt bowens defense either - I actually felt Bowen layed off Lebron a great deal...if you watch Kobe vs Bowen and James vs Bowen you'll understand what I mean.

Like I said, Ihavent seen game 3 so I wont comment on this 'foul' at the end of the game - but in the games Ive seen, I havent seen any "dirty" things from bruce...he's usually 3 steps in front of Lebron, daring his to shoot jumpers.

So this brings me to my next point...Lebron James has a LONG way to go before he's the next MJ, I think its totally unfair to the guy.

Even comparing young MJ to young Lebron isnt fair. MJ carved through defenses for dunks in his younger years, then developed a deadly jumper. But the big thing with Mj is he didnt make mistakes.

3 times in the 4th Lebron made mistakes/turnovers that you wouldnt see in social comp games - he missed a lot of Ft's too, and his jumper just isnt that great - when you rely on powering your way to the basket, having Duncan/Oberto/Elson/Horry to shoot over makes it a definate hard task.

I also was surprised at some of the cavs players looks in the 4th quarter...I dont think Coach Brown had these guys committed. Gooden looked pissed he was sitting for so long. Van Gundy constantly came up with better tactics as a commentator....I think Mike Brown left it all up to Lebron! Mju always had Phil in his corner.

So to conclude, axeman - some of the comments Ive read of yours makes it sounds like this game was officiated like Lakers vs Kings in 2002 I think. When The Lakers shot 40 FT's in the 4th quarter with Scot Pollard called for fouls for breathing.

the refs actually didnt decide any of the games at all - perhaps elimintating some careless turnovers and some better coaching (ie Lebron in the block on every play!) would have got the cavs a win or two.

Coaching definately played a big part in the series loss, particularly game 4 where the Cavs came up 2 points short after inexplicably being told not to foul until the last what, 30 seconds? I've already said that in my previous posts but no-one seems to have noticed that, or the fact I also said the Spurs were the better team, and had their role-players stepping up. Once again, all the Spurs fans here just concentrate on the fact I said the reffing left a lot to be desired. And if you didn't see Duncan and Parker traveling before shooting, Duncan in particular, and you don't think Duncan went over the back to get a fair few of his boards, I dunno, we must've watched seperate series. BTW, I know Varejao goes down easier than he has to, but he's not diving 90% of the time, he's selling a legitimate charge. I know from personal expreience trying to draw charges, if you stay up while the driver hits the floor even if you're camped in position, the refs like to inexplicably call you for a blocking foul or leaning in. You HAVE to hit the floor. That's why most people don't like taking charges, it's physically draining. Also, in game 4 when Lebron got 3 fouls early, did you think all three were warranted? I thought the third foul in particular was a flop by Bowen. Bron had his back to him and took a half-step back as he was recieving the ball, and Bowen went down like he'd been hit by a DRIVING Lebron. And I would agree play-off defense should be a bit more physical, but that's not the way it's been officiated the last 5 years. With all the hand-check rules, hand in the back rules, etc, the league has obviously been trying to get more offense going. Then along comes Bowen, and we're back in the 80's playing that style of D. I just can't see how one year it's a free-throw contest in the finals, and the next there's bugger-all contact called?

Back
Top Bottom