The offical MICHAEL JORDAN thread!!!!!!!!

Great to see Mike receiving positive recognition:
26-510-chamberperdue1107.ART_GRS6CJL3.1+chambermeeting1107_05.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg
Chamber honors Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan appeared on the basketball court Thursday night at Time Warner Cable Arena, but the Charlotte Bobcats were nowhere to be found.

Instead, the NBA legend and Wilmington native strode to the stage and was honored by the Charlotte Chamber with its 2008 Citizen of the Carolinas Award.

Last year's winner was Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, and previous recipients include Billy Graham, Dean Smith and former Bank of America CEO Hugh McColl.

“Any chance I get to come back to North Carolina, it's a great joy, because this is where it all started,” Jordan said, behind a lectern, sporting a coat and tie.

Before a crowd of about 2,000, he spoke fondly of his upbringing, his parents and Smith, his coach at UNC Chapel Hill. With their support, he said, he'd aimed high in sports and academics.

Though Jordan primarily lives in Chicago, where he starred for most of his career, he said the Carolinas remain home, and he's enjoyed experiencing Charlotte in his role as Bobcats part-owner and managing partner of basketball operations.

“A lot of you guys think I'm not here because you don't see me,” he joked. “But I'm here. I don't go to the grocery store, or a lot of places you guys go. But if you go to most any golf course, you'll find me.” He later said he did plan to go to the grocery store, and urged people not to be afraid to say hello if they saw him there.

After some good-natured ribbing of Bobcats owner Bob Johnson, who was also on hand, Jordan pledged to bring “entertainment, joy and winning ways” to the city's NBA franchise, saying he hated how Charlotte Hornets owner George Shinn had left the city earlier this decade.

“We're going to try and do it this time much better than the first,” he said. “I want to put something on the basketball court you can feel proud about.”
Chamber honors Michael Jordan - Sports | CharlotteObserver.com

26-510-chamberperdue1107.ART_GRS6CJL3.1+chambermeeting1107_05.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Howcome this didn't make it to the MJ thread?

Video: CEO John Rogers beats Jordan one-on-one, circa 2003 - Ball Don't Lie... - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Video: CEO John Rogers beats Jordan one-on-one, circa 2003
By J.E. Skeets
Back in February, SI's Chris Ballard wrote a story about a post-Wizards era Michael Jordan that received a bit of attention. As the story went, some mutual fund CEO named John Rogers Jr. had beaten Jordan in a game of one-on-one at the legend's high-end "Flight School" camp in Las Vegas. According to Ballard, there were one-handed runners and flip-shots and even Damon Wayans. It was quite the tale. And today, thanks to The Wall Street Journal, we finally have video footage.

That lefty lay-in at the end to win it was impressive. Nice English, John.

Via NESW Sports, your #1 source for classic and random Michael Jordan videos.

Related: YouTube of the day

hahaha! how good is Daman Wayans at the end talking trash!!!!!

haha! thats classic!!!

But I also love the amount of guys on here that try to hate and trash Jordan!!!

Its beautiful! hahaha!

He's still the G.O.A.T, but everyone loses!!! But that video was good!

That last lefty layup was gold!!! haha

hahaha! how good is Daman Wayans at the end talking trash!!!!!

haha! thats classic!!!

But I also love the amount of guys on here that try to hate and trash Jordan!!!

Its beautiful! hahaha!

He's still the G.O.A.T, but everyone loses!!! But that video was good!

That last lefty layup was gold!!! haha

I'm with you buddy for MJ as GOAT :D I just find it so much fun to point out imperfections to people who don't believe they exist ;) This is an MJ thread after-all so should have both sides :)

No hating or trashing here from me! GOAT to be inducted within a year :D:worthy:

I'm with you buddy for MJ as GOAT :D I just find it so much fun to point out imperfections to people who don't believe they exist ;) This is an MJ thread after-all so should have both sides :)

No hating or trashing here from me! GOAT to be inducted within a year :D:worthy:

haha! yeah i get what u mean!!!

all good bro!!!

But he did get beaten, but only coz of lazy defense!

He was playing the guy like we would play against a little kid!!! hahaha!

But sweet find anyway!!! Its a sweet video! haha

198-340-scott1108.ART_GE36DP0K.1+Hornets_Bobcats_Basketball.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg
Jordan Q & A: Bobcats a work in progress
Michael Jordan doesn't speak publicly that often about the Charlotte Bobcats. When he does, it's always worth listening to.

Jordan gave an exclusive, 30-minute interview to the Observer's Scott Fowler Friday night before the Bobcats defeated New Orleans 92-89 at home. Jordan tackled subjects ranging from the Bobcats' roster to Barack Obama's election.

Jordan is a Bobcats minority owner and has the final say on all basketball-related decisions. He said he would like to become the Bobcats' owner when and if current owner Bob Johnson decides to sell the club.

Although Jordan is bullish on the Bobcats, he also said he was actively working on possible trades to improve the team. Preferably, he would acquire another big man to help Emeka Okafor.

“We've got a lot of perimeter players that duplicate each other,” Jordan said. “From Adam (Morrison) to Matt (Carroll) to Jared (Dudley). … I think that's what Larry (Brown, the Bobcats' new coach) is trying to battle with. And we have no big presence in the middle other than Emeka.”

Here is a transcript of the Observer's interview with Jordan, with questions and answers edited for clarity and brevity.

Q. Where do you think the Bobcats stand right now?

We've got a different coach and a different philosophy. It's still a work in progress. We have stretches where we play good basketball, but then that bad basketball will rear its head.

If you look at our roster – I think it's better than it was last year. I think the mentality of our guys is different. We have D.J. Augustin, who I think is going to be a real good point guard. He's kind of crafty. He's quick and he thinks very well. He can hit the jump shot but he thinks pass first. Right now he's getting a lot of rookie fouls, but I think he's going to be good. … When you look at our team, I'm very happy with our team.

Q. What do you think about Sean May, who was supposed to start for this team and right now is hardly playing?

Sean was a little bit disappointing because he came in out of shape at the beginning of the season. He's very hesitant because of his health. I just want him to get in shape because we expect so much from him, and when he's out there, he's not capable of giving it to us. His psyche may be a little down right now. … But I think he's a very integral part to our success.

Q. What do you think of Raymond Felton's play so far this season?

Raymond – a lot of it has to do with his whole financial thoughts, what his (next) contract is going to be, how much he's going to make and what should he do to try and impress me, and the coach, and all that other stuff. When, in essence, all he has to do is play his game and make sure everybody else understands what they're supposed to do on the court. And he's trying, don't get me wrong. He's one of the hardest (workers) we have.

Q. Are you actively pursuing any trades right now?

I'm definitely looking for a big guy. And I'm always looking to try and get a third point guard. Shannon Brown has been a blessing stepping in for us, but he's more of a two guard.

Q. How is your relationship with Larry Brown and is he constantly in your ear trying to tweak the roster?

(Laughs.) He is. We talk a lot. He has great suggestions. I'm not afraid to say, ‘Larry, I don't agree with that. And he's not afraid to tell me, ‘MJ, I don't agree with that.'”

Q. You're more visible this season, often sitting right beside the Bobcats' bench. Why?

Initially, when I first got into this, I had a tough time being so close to the game. My competitive nature is such that I want to check in. I want to be animated. I want to yell. As you get older, that dissipates a little bit. I'm getting a little older (Jordan is 45) so now I can deal with being that close. … And if the public thinks they get to see me a little more, well, great.

I do want people to understand I'm committed to this franchise. I'm committed to Charlotte. I'm invested. I'm putting my money up. They're not giving me a suite. They're not giving me front-row seats. I'm paying for these things. If I'm putting my money in it, I believe in it.

Q. How many Bobcats games will you attend in person this year?

I don't know. I have a son playing at Illinois. I have a son playing (in high school). I have other business obligations. I'm going to fit in as many as possible, but I can't put a number on it.

Q. Do you get the itch to play anymore?

No. The last time I really played was when I was horsing around with the guys last year. I'm so afraid I'm going to get out there and pop an Achilles and then I'm on crutches.

Q. Were you happy to see Barack Obama elected president?

I was very happy to see it. I'm not really politically outspoken. … My opinion is not the gospel. But I think what happened with Barack was the best thing that could have happened to this country. I think it's going to unify this country. He has great ideas. He'll be a good, solid president. … I voted for him. I supported him. We are friends.

Q. The Bobcats have never made the playoffs. Can this team make it?

A lot of things have got to fall in place. With this franchise, injuries have always been the biggest issue. … Larry (Brown) is going to set the roles to utilize individual talents. Do I think we can make the playoffs? Yes. Can we go deep in the playoffs? There'd have to be some maturity going on.

198-340-scott1108.ART_GE36DP0K.1+Hornets_Bobcats_Basketball.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Let's try again.Latest news on Marcus Jordan:
marcusjordan1.jpg
Michael Jordan's Son Marcus Faces Down College Recruiters - ESPN The Magazine
Marcus Jordan has a bit of Michael Jordan in him. But most sons take something from their fathers. Marcus took a love for a basketball from his pops. It just so happens his pops is considered the greatest to ever play the game. And now the high school senior wonders whether college coaches will see him, his father or something in-between.

"I think that is a concern for him," says mom, Juanita. "I think he feels he doesn't want to be treated any different because of his name. He wants to be treated like any recruit."

So the initials are the same, Marcus wears Nike and Jordan gear from head to toe—he says he'd probably be grounded if he sported anything Reebok—and he does possess a lot of his dad's swagger, but let the similarities end there. Marcus Jordan is Marcus Jordan and Michael Jordan will always be, well, MJ.

As Marcus is set to launch his senior season at Whitney Young, a Chicago public school only a mile away from the United Center, his goals are lofty: He hopes to win Illinois' Mr. Basketball, be selected for the McDonald's All-American game and receive scholarship offers from the nation's top programs. And those are his expectations not because he's Michael Jordan's son; those are his expectations because he believes he can achieve them.

"I don't want to be MJ junior," Marcus says. "I want to be Marcus Jordan. I never tried to go out and copy a move my dad did."

Still, Marcus is smart enough to realize he can learn plenty from his dad. He just isn't trying to take off from the free-throw line or dunk on Mutumbo. "I definitely watched tapes," he admits, "and I figured out how to get to the lane quicker, how to expose my man, stuff like that. I never tried to, you know, switch hands on layups or anything like that."

So how good is Marcus Jordan?

Over the last year, the answer has changed. As a junior, he was an above-average high school player. He was strong to the rim and knew how to finish. He seemed like a great fit for most mid-major programs, but probably not good enough to crack the top tier. This summer perceptions changed. He developed a consistent jumper, better handles and showed during a few key events he could compete with the elite recruits. Recruiting monitors began referring to him as a high-major prospect. With his confidence soaring and plenty of rave reviews, he and those around him thought it was only a matter of time before his phone began to blow up.

It never did.

Two possible reasons: He's a 6-foot-2 combo guard and his last name is Jordan.

marcusjordan1.jpg

Amazing if Jordan played for New York:lol:

Knicks Tried To Lure Jordan In 1996

After the 1995-96 season, there was a possibility of Michael Jordan signing with the New York Knicks in free agency.

At the time, the Knicks were owned in part by ITT, which also owned Sheraton Hotels.

A plan was possibly concocted where Jordan would receive substantial Sheraton holdings, perhaps in endorsement money which would be separate from the salary cap and seemingly within the rules, though a circumvention.

Jordan's agent David Falk initially told the Bulls it would take a salary starting in the mid to high $20s of millions of dollars to sign Jordan.

In the end, the Bulls topped that figure at $30 million and he never played for the Knicks.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55754/20081201/knicks_tried_to_lure_jordan_in_1996/

No offense to all the big MJ fans on the board, but his kids stink. like seriously.

Anyone seen the highlight reel on Youtube of when Eric Gordon destroyed them?

Well MJ is only 1 parent. His wife...ex-wife? Doesn't look very sporty to me. Naturally you'd like to assume some of MJ would pass down, but then there's a pretty big expectation to live up to!

Well MJ is only 1 parent. His wife...ex-wife? Doesn't look very sporty to me. Naturally you'd like to assume some of MJ would pass down, but then there's a pretty big expectation to live up to!

True that, I have had many discussions with some good mates who love the game, in that it would be the worst to be MJ's children in terms of living up to the hype.

I bet they are pretty decent players, above average in most cases seeing as they are going to Division 1 Colleges, but to think that they will crack the NBA and become big names is a really hard thing to see..

Back
Top Bottom