The first ever Rugby League game you attended.

You wouldn't believe this Matt, but the very first rugby league match i went to was also a Panasonic Cup match way back in 1989. It was the Brisbane Broncos vs Canberra Raiders at Pioneer Oval Parkes country NSW. What a game and what a night it was as i remember it was such a massive game for the local community as every man, women, kids and their dog from all the small country towns had to get to that game even if life depended on it. It was so cool as a kid growing up in the bush to see the top grade players come to town with the likes of Langer, Walters, Miles, Meninga, Belcher, Stuart just to name a few. Amazing times sitting on the grass hill in front of 10000 strong.
Apparently this was my 1st ever match as well but seeing as I was about all of 15 months old I don't remember it. First game I remember ever going to was parramatta vs Adelaide Rams at pioneer oval in Parkes (Nathan Hindmarsh debut game) attended a tonne more parra trials in Parkes also. 1st game in the big smoke was around 2007 Broncos vs Eels at Suncorp and Broncos where up 44-0 at halftime. Haven't missed a bronco home game in the best part of 4 years now.

This is sort of on the same topic, but i have a little bit of memory going to Lidcombe Oval to see this Exhibition by Tony Mundine back in 1973. I just happened to be going through a Magpies Journal from 1973 and this photo reminded me, so i thought i might share.

mundine magpies journal 1973.jpg

Since there are so few games of top-line league in Wellington, the first game I went to was the first NRL game ever played there, the Warriors vs the Bulldogs in 2001, when I was 20. It was a 24 all draw, and played in front of a crowd of 27,724. http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2001/round-8/bulldogs-vs-new-zealand/summary.html

I actually put the highlights up on youtube, the Warriors scored three tries in the final five minutes to tie, and then Stacey Jones missed pretty much a sitter of a conversion to win. Great finish!

View: https://youtu.be/Tybq68VOkvE

Wellington averages 21,927 for the huge amount of seven games it's hosted since 2001, but I'll probably be dead by the time the NRL expands again and we get a side to watch on a regular basis.

By the way, I went to my first Knights game later in 2001, caught the overnight train (which doesn't exist anymore) to Auckland and back with a few mates, the Knights won 37-30, and Adam MacDougall scored four tries! :)

Be going to Rocky Norths games since before I can remember (dad is a life member and current club president) - as far as NRL games go, Brisbane v Melbourne 2004 Qualifying Final at Suncorp - Melbourne won 31-14 and it was Tallis' last game in Brisbane (should have been his last game in QLD, but they took the Semi Final to Townsville)

Also, back in about 1995 they bought a trial between Parramatta and the 'Sydney' Tigers (anyone remember that gimick?) to Rockhampton, I was like a kid at Christmas (although I went for the Bears) - for a 9 year old, it was still awesome to see the 'real' players live and in person.

Back
Top Bottom