The Australian cricket non-official thread!

So a fairly good day for Australia. 259 is a reasonable score in a day-night Test, it was annoying that SA's tail managed to add so many runs. Nicely done by Khawaja and Renshaw to get through to stumps unharmed; a good platform for them both to build on in the first session tomorrow.

The pleasing thing was that the 12 over period would have been tricky for any batsmen. SA didn't quite get their lengths right but were nibbling the ball around and asking questions. I hope they can consolidate this arvo and push on, when was the last time a debutant made a really big score for us?

Watching the Aussie paceman struggling to knock over SA's tail was frustrating. Does anyone else think our bowlers, particularly Starc show no patience in these dituations and overdo the short ball?

The pleasing thing was that the 12 over period would have been tricky for any batsmen. SA didn't quite get their lengths right but were nibbling the ball around and asking questions. I hope they can consolidate this arvo and push on, when was the last time a debutant made a really big score for us?

Watching the Aussie paceman struggling to knock over SA's tail was frustrating. Does anyone else think our bowlers, particularly Starc show no patience in these dituations and overdo the short ball?
Starc bowls one of the best Yorkers in world cricket and is almost unplayable by the tail, but he keeps trying to bounce them out.

Very frustrating!!!

Michael Clarke India 2004[ten years after Blewett and with Ponting cruelly judged LBW for 96 in 1995/96].
Phil Hughes South Africa 2009 [yikes --- just realised it was his 2nd test]
Marcus North South Africa 2009
Shaun Marsh SL 2011
Ashton Agar 98 in 2015 Ashes.
Adam Voges West Indies 2015

A mixed bag with the willow for our debutants so far!

I thought Matt Renshaw was outstanding on Thursday night, it could so easily have been a 3/20 score at stumps if not for his patience and concentration. He'll never make a tougher ten runs in his Test career I don't reckon.

Peter Handscomb looked terrific, those three boundaries off Philander in consecutive balls to pass fifty had me applauding! Yes, he is unconventional. However, a lot of modern-day batsman are.

Nic Maddinson had to bat in difficult conditions and to be honest he never looked like making a run. His was perhaps the most debatable of the top order call-ups although it would be foolish to discredit a man based on one innings. Who knows, he might play an important cameo in the second innings to calm dressing room nerves.

Brilliantly well done by Usman Khawaja yesterday - he could become the first Australian to carry his bat at the Adelaide Oval since Mark Taylor against the same opponent in 1998.

Wade picked for his chirp.

You could drop him, put Handsome in as wk at 7, then pick Head, Patterson, whoever to bat.

Id keep Renshaw and Khawaja opening too. s Marsh 3, Smith 4, Warner 5.

Shaun Marsh to come back maybe.

Last edited:
He can't be that useless if he's keeping in test match cricket for Australia.

I do think though that if Nevill performs well as he currently is in the next few shield rounds, he'll replace Wade for the first test against Pakistan at the GABBA.

There is a very good reason he's called Scissorhands.

And Healy was picking him to pieces, so uhmmmm....yeah, Wade is useless.

Back
Top Bottom