The Australian cricket non-official thread!

from some facebook page...

The Australian Test Squad that was completely outplayed by South Africa in Hobart and Perth will go back to their state teams in an attempt to find some form before the day/night match in Adelaide.

All players with the exception of Hazelwood, Starc and Mennie will play this round of Sheffield Shield which begins on Thursday.

This Sheffield Shield round could be as intriguing and important as any seen in recent years with arguably eight spots up for grabs come time for the selectors to pick the squad for the dead rubber test in Adelaide which begins on the 24th of November.

Cricket Australia, from the top down, needs to be rebuilt.

And junior cricket from the bottom to the top needs to be rebuilt.

No more retiring at 50. No more mercy rules. No more six over limits. It's all BS that breeds mediocrity.

Merv was on the radio this afternoon and made a good point, 7 days ago we didn't have a problem, we had bowled SA out for 242 inside a day and were 0-158 in reply.

Merv was on the radio this afternoon and made a good point, 7 days ago we didn't have a problem, we had bowled SA out for 242 inside a day and were 0-158 in reply.
And since then, we've had three major batting collapses. We've got a pretty big problem now!

I think sending the majority of the Test team back to Shield Cricket to "play for their futures" is confusing, having originally thought it was a good idea.

I suspect this means that if Burns, Voges, Ferguson and Nevill make runs, they'll remain in the Test team? Or, if "generation next" is to start now, why would you have (in the case of Voges and Ferguson) players in their 30's potentially taking the place of younger blokes at Shield level?

I have absolutely nothing against the players that have been picked for Australia as people or cricketers during the last five Tests. However, in my view it would have been more practical for the selectors to ask themselves: "who DO we take from this squad going forward?" and play those players in Adelaide.

If Adelaide ends in heavy defeat, fine - you can then draw your selector's line in the sand and start afresh with the Pakistan series. However I maintain that these are good cricketers, stifled by a pampered, "I'll do the thinking FOR you" environment that doesn't allow traditional, home-spun self-improvement.

I reckon a night on the cans might relax a few blokes!! :)

I think sending the majority of the Test team back to Shield Cricket to "play for their futures" is confusing, having originally thought it was a good idea.

I suspect this means that if Burns, Voges, Ferguson and Nevill make runs, they'll remain in the Test team? Or, if "generation next" is to start now, why would you have (in the case of Voges and Ferguson) players in their 30's potentially taking the place of younger blokes at Shield level?

I have absolutely nothing against the players that have been picked for Australia as people or cricketers during the last five Tests. However, in my view it would have been more practical for the selectors to ask themselves: "who DO we take from this squad going forward?" and play those players in Adelaide.

If Adelaide ends in heavy defeat, fine - you can then draw your selector's line in the sand and start afresh with the Pakistan series. However I maintain that these are good cricketers, stifled by a pampered, "I'll do the thinking FOR you" environment that doesn't allow traditional, home-spun self-improvement.

I reckon a night on the cans might relax a few blokes!! :)
I've been told that Callum Ferguson used to be a party goer in his younger days, apparently the term 'off his face' doesn't begin to describe it haha

I think if the current test blokes do well they will keep their spot, but if someone like Jake Lehmann or Kurtis Patterson who are rumoured to be on the radar, stood up and made a century in both innings or a double century, then they'd have a good chance of making the squad.

Usman Khawaja has tonned up, virtually cementing himself a spot in the squad for the Adelaide test. Unfortunately for Adam Voges, he's copped a nasty blow to the helmet and had to retire hurt. The footage of him falling to the ground scared me, Phil Hughes is still in the back of my mind.

Matt Renshaw is 99* at tea, Peter Handscomb has compiled a steady 72* off 132 balls, and Travis Dean has got himself a century too. Plenty of names going up in lights this round!

Usman Khawaja has tonned up, virtually cementing himself a spot in the squad for the Adelaide test. Unfortunately for Adam Voges, he's copped a nasty blow to the helmet and had to retire hurt. The footage of him falling to the ground scared me, Phil Hughes is still in the back of my mind.

Matt Renshaw is 99* at tea, Peter Handscomb has compiled a steady 72* off 132 balls, and Travis Dean has got himself a century too. Plenty of names going up in lights this round!
I was at the WACA yesterday and saw Voges get hit. I initially thought the ball hit the shoulder of his bat with the way it lobbed all the way to gully, who dived to catch the ball. Obviously when I looked back at Voges he was on his hands and knees, and all the Tassie players were around him. Nasty blow but it was a good sign he could walk off the ground (albeit assisted) and from all reports he's groggy but OK.

A few big performances from contenders and also guys who weren't being talked about. A shame neither Burns nor Bancroft made runs. Handscomb has surely just about locked in his spot. Still, an interesting three days ahead...

The success of 1989-1993 and 1994-2005 was no fluke.

Border ans Simpson and others instilled a steely, hard nosed work ethic. then Rod Marsh had tge academy grooming potential and having fresh talented teoops ready to sign up.

Unfortunately , aust cricket became a victim of its own success and ego.

Theyve turmed their back on the basics, the development and yes over sceduled, over train and over rest. its about appeasing corporates and media types. they also promoted test cricketers too highly after the golden era instead of easing back and rebuilding so test players earned the dollars and adulation.

I dont think its the end of the world. the media loves this. it gives them something to sermonise and pontificate about.

With a back to basics approach and an investment in hard work and talent, the ship will be righted.

I also see the test team as a reflection of aussiw culture as a whole. weve lost our way and focus.

It's amazing how often you don't quite capture the absurdity of something until someone else spells it out for you. On the ABC Grandstand "Press Pass" segment today, a listener texted/tweeted/whatever-ed the following observation:

*The first round of the Sheffield Shield this season consisted of day/night matches with a pink ball, ahead of a traditional day-time Test match.

*The current round of Shield games were played as day-time matches, ahead of a day/night Test match with a pink ball.

Ladies and gentlemen......the selectors are the LEAST of our problems!! :)

Faf Du Plessis new tactic...

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 10.38.04 am.png

Australia's squad for the ODI series against New Zealand has been named:

Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), George Bailey, Hilton Cartwright, Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

Very pleased to see Cartwright in there. Hopefully he gets a chance to show what he's got.

"NIIIICE GARRY!"
"NIIIICE GARRY!"
"NIIIICE GARRY!"
"NIIIICE GARRY!"
"NIIIICE GARRY!"
"NIIIICE GARRY!"

Dear Matty Wade: For the love of God.....change the bloody record mate!! I'm going to wake up at 2am tomorrow muttering "Niiiiiiiice Garry", I'm sure of it!! :)

If it was a drinking game......I'd probably just glass myself!!!

Back
Top Bottom