Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

ozballer23

#1 J.R. Smith Collector
Real Name
Norm
Channel 10 to axe The Simpsons in budget cut | TV | News.com.au

4q4mev.jpg

THE Ten network will axe The Simpsons and replace it with more news, extending the one-hour 5pm bulletin to 90 minutes.

Insiders confirmed the financially troubled network says it can no longer pay the fee of $25,000 for each episode of the top-rating social satire.

Ten says dropping The Simpsons would save it $6 million a year.

By extending the news, Ten hopes to steal audience from the Seven and Nine networks in the crucial 6pm timeslot.

Will you be sad to see The Simpsons go? Tell us below.

The high-risk strategy is being plotted in Sydney by Ten's national news supremo Cathy Schnitzerling.

Secret pilot shows have been filmed in most state capitals.

It is understood the new show will borrow from the Sky News format with a chatty presentation heavy on sport and with regular headline updates.

Key reporters will offer provocative commentaries on news and current affairs.

i don't care what anyone says, its one of the Greatest shows/cartoons ever, it wouldnt have lasted 20 years if it wasnt!! But I can see 10's point! $6m a year is a hellova alot of money!!

Thank goodness we have foxtel at home! Can get my fix from there! Greatest show for a hell of a while now imo! Gonna miss it!

Admittedly I haven't really watch it that much, especially in the last few years, but it has always been fun seeing some of the older episodes. It is surprising move since it has been on for so long. THey would still have the rights to a lot of the older episodes that they should be able to re-run though.

Funny thing is I thought Ten wanted to be distinctive and have their news on earlier......now due to poor rating at the 6pm slot they want to steal news watchers from the other channels? A few bad points about what they are doing.

1. who will watch News for 90 minutes? Those who used to watch news on 10 then have their little break will now maybe watch news on 10 then switch channels or even worse, watch something else on another channel then keep watching their news that will only be 30 minutes.

2. The other News Channels tend to have better News reports (IMO) so I cannot see why people will switch from their other Channels to 10.

3. Primarily Sports? So is that a target audience they are pursuing? Most people during that time will not want to be watching the News headlines, especially when most people are only interested in on or two sports. They have had their day at work and want to come home to find out what is happening in the world, not just sports - on all sorts of sports that they probably do not care about. That is also why I do not watch the 10 late psorts bulletin, even though I know I might see a few NBA and other highlights - I am just not interested in what is happening with all the other sports they are showing and do not want to waste half an hour watching other sports I do not care about.

4. Regular headline updates? How much regular headlines can you put into 90 minutes? What...verey 15 minutes they are going to repeat all the headlines? Again I do not want to waste my time on the same headline over and over again. I would rather watch it once in a little more depth and be done with it.

Bold risky move.........but you can see, it is all just a cost saving exercise that will put them greater in the red than saving those $$$ for the Simpson's episodes.

Ersk

DAMN Ten!!!! Ten are idiots!! Why the hell would you expect someone to watch 90 mins of news??? I sure won't! It'll be sad to see them go. Loved waiting for the new one every week, now I can't:( Dumb move Ten:mad::fist:

DAMN Ten!!!! Ten are idiots!! Why the hell would you expect someone to watch 90 mins of news??? I sure won't! It'll be sad to see them go. Loved waiting for the new one every week, now I can't:( Dumb move Ten:mad::fist:

Well it depends when they stop showing it, i hope they get through the new season first!

Dumb Move, surprised at the cost per episode though.

Glad ive got em on dvd

Folks are going to Bali soon so ive asked them to pick up one of those mega box sets with 15-20 seasons in it since ive only got up to season 10 atm :lol:

Dumb Move, surprised at the cost per episode though.

Glad ive got em on dvd

Folks are going to Bali soon so ive asked them to pick up one of those mega box sets with 15-20 seasons in it since ive only got up to season 10 atm :lol:

Lol that's a great idea! Won't start panicking too much until they stop showing it on foxtel! The least they could do is replace it with family guy!

I don't get what everyone is sooking about. There's no indication from that article that they're not going to continue showing the new episodes. Since when have the new episodes ever aired at 6pm? They're simply dropping the repeats which have aired about 100 times each and everyone knows them inside out.

this sucks especially as ten's idea of "news" is more "info-tainment" than hard hitting investigative journalism, it'll probably end up being Angela Bishop giving Brangelina updates!

I don't get what everyone is sooking about. There's no indication from that article that they're not going to continue showing the new episodes. Since when have the new episodes ever aired at 6pm? They're simply dropping the repeats which have aired about 100 times each and everyone knows them inside out.

Excatly what I was thinking, they havent said anything about the new ones being stopped just the 6pm time slot!!

Excatly what I was thinking, they havent said anything about the new ones being stopped just the 6pm time slot!!

Well from my understanding, when they use the term "axe" I presuming they won't show it anymore. They didn't specify if they will continue to show the new ones, but did say they weren't prepared to pay the fees to show them.

But Norm, it only talks about the 6pm time slot, not the 7.30pm Wednesday night ones! Thats what I was getting at! Plus, youd think if they are paying $25k for a rerun theyd be paying more for the newies! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom