TAB1980’s MASSIVE Random Pack Break (Win Prizes)!

20220927_204815.jpg

2002-03 Upper Deck Glass - Unfortunately no plexi-glass cards here. Once again, i really like the base design of these.

And now for a vent... Upper Deck have been trolling me all night with these stupid bloody things inserted in every pack

20220927_205122.jpg

The one in the Glass pack was super thick which for a second made me think i'd hit something nice...

2002-03 Upper Deck SPx

20220927_205337.jpg

Another product, like Ovation, that i thought was pretty poor the previous year. Hope these look good like everything else so far tonight!

20220927_205823.jpg

2002-03 Upper Deck SPx - Now this is much better! I like the landscaped designs here. They definitely have a much more premium look about them. All of these came out of the one pack which was pretty sweet as the other pack was 💩

Love that Kobe

Last edited:
20220927_205823.jpg

2002-03 Upper Deck SPx - Now this is much better! I like the landscaped designs here. They definitely have a much more premium look about them. All of these came out of the one pack which was pretty sweet as the other pack was 💩
Not a set I’ve payed much attention to in the past. Really like the look of these and will be taking a closer look at what else the set has to offer.
Thanks again for sharing.

Not a set I’ve payed much attention to in the past. Really like the look of these and will be taking a closer look at what else the set has to offer.
Thanks again for sharing.

It's definitely a sweet looking set!

20220927_202229.jpg

2002-03 Upper Deck Series 2 - Hitting two "Star Rookies" is not bad considering they are 1:4 but i think in these cases, perhaps "Star" is not an accurate description.

@Hornso what do you know about Mehmet Okur?
I know he was well liked in Detroit. Came off the bench for a championship winning team. Believe they would have liked to have kept him but after two seasons he got squeezed out because of the salary cap and the fact he was unlikely to displace either of the Wallace’s in the line up.

He went to Utah for 7 years or so and made an All Star team.

Not exactly a shining accomplishment considering his competition but I dare say he’s probably the Piston’s best ever European player.

Take that Darko, Svi, Jose Calderon, Jonas Jerebko and co!

But yeah, bit presumptuous to have a Star Rookie card for the 38th pick….I think that’s what Upper Deck labelled their rookie cards during the 2000s

I know he was well liked in Detroit. Came off the bench for a championship winning team. Believe they would have liked to have kept him but after two seasons he got squeezed out because of the salary cap and the fact he was unlikely to displace either of the Wallace’s in the line up.

He went to Utah for 7 years or so and made an All Star team.

Not exactly a shining accomplishment considering his competition but I dare say he’s probably the Piston’s best ever European player.

Take that Darko, Svi, Jose Calderon, Jonas Jerebko and co!

But yeah, bit presumptuous to have a Star Rookie card for the 38th pick….I think that’s what Upper Deck labelled their rookie cards during the 2000s

Thanks for the info mate! Sounds like he did end up earning the "star rookie" tag. Not bad for such a low draft pick! I take back what i said!

My runner up for favourite base :

2021-22 Panini Photogenic

IMG_4765.JPG
IMG_4766.JPG

The card stock - not too thin and flimsy and not too thick that it is a pain to go in the 9 sleeve page

The font - can read it - awesome

The pictures - Panini NAILED this - absolutely photogenic and iconic shots they have found for this release

The back - the backs of the cards used to be as important as the front to me - stats, a different pic to the front and then a little blurb with some cool info

Amazing.

My runner up for favourite base :

2021-22 Panini Photogenic

IMG_4765.JPG
IMG_4766.JPG

The card stock - not too thin and flimsy and not too thick that it is a pain to go in the 9 sleeve page

The font - can read it - awesome

The pictures - Panini NAILED this - absolutely photogenic and iconic shots they have found for this release

The back - the backs of the cards used to be as important as the front to me - stats, a different pic to the front and then a little blurb with some cool info

Amazing.

Hard to disagree. It's an amazing looking set!

Hmmm, what could be #1? :ermm:

Favourite base set of all time

1997-98 Skybox Metal Universe

This set has insane colours, a nice texture, action shots and even crazier designs in the background. I even love the condition sensitivity for some reason. I wouldn't want it so much on the 2022 version but for this one, I've come to love a bit of edge wear. Go figure!

Starting of with these - check out those giant balls on Dell -

IMG_4752.JPG

We go on to some epic shots of Fisher playing near a waterfall and your mate Derek surfing

IMG_4753.JPG

Here we've got Steve Smith playing in a ball pit while Mourning tries to get a rebound in Mordor

IMG_4754.JPG

Mullin in an asteroid shower while DJ Rony is stuck in one of those machines that never grips the damn ball for you and you stick in more money over and over again trying to win some $3 toy

IMG_4755.JPG

Ah - the simplicity of a lighting storm and some calming blue bubbles

IMG_4756.JPG

Priest is taking off! While Cedric gets in the middle of the Gymnastic ribbon twirl event and still tries to jack a shot up

IMG_4757.JPG

Iverson - world dominator. Mase - so strong he's dunking comets

IMG_4758.JPG

Finish off with some Big Country laser beams and Dale Ellis getting beamed up!

IMG_4759.JPG

What's not to love?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well the only downer for me was the repeating design on a few cards - I mean WHY???? Of all these crazy cool designs we have the same for Penny and MJ - I so wish they would have just created a couple more unique ones so every player had their own.

Oh well. Still the GOAT IMO.

Thank you for listening :lol:

Favourite base set of all time

1997-98 Skybox Metal Universe

This set has insane colours, a nice texture, action shots and even crazier designs in the background. I even love the condition sensitivity for some reason. I wouldn't want it so much on the 2022 version but for this one, I've come to love a bit of edge wear. Go figure!

Starting of with these - check out those giant balls on Dell -

IMG_4752.JPG

We go on to some epic shots of Fisher playing near a waterfall and your mate Derek surfing

IMG_4753.JPG

Here we've got Steve Smith playing in a ball pit while Mourning tries to get a rebound in Mordor

IMG_4754.JPG

Mullin in an asteroid shower while DJ Rony is stuck in one of those machines that never grips the damn ball for you and you stick in more money over and over again trying to win some $3 toy

IMG_4755.JPG

Ah - the simplicity of a lighting storm and some calming blue bubbles

IMG_4756.JPG

Priest is taking off! While Cedric gets in the middle of the Gymnastic ribbon twirl event and still tries to jack a shot up

IMG_4757.JPG

Iverson - world dominator. Mase - so strong he's dunking comets

IMG_4758.JPG

Finish off with some Big Country laser beams and Dale Ellis getting beamed up!

IMG_4759.JPG

What's not to love?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well the only downer for me was the repeating design on a few cards - I mean WHY???? Of all these crazy cool designs we have the same for Penny and MJ - I so wish they would have just created a couple more unique ones so every player had their own.

Oh well. Still the GOAT IMO.

Thank you for listening :lol:

Can you imagine the time and effort that went into making those background designs? Panini wouldn't even bother these days (it would be too much of an expense from a wages perspective). It is definitely an amazing looking set for sure! Shame I didn't have one of these in my break but I just wasn't willing to fork out the $$$ they were asking.

Can you imagine the time and effort that went into making those background designs? Panini wouldn't even bother these days (it would be too much of an expense from a wages perspective). It is definitely an amazing looking set for sure!

Facts! I love following the designers on Insta - arenadeign_com - amazing insights to a lot of sets they designed in the 90's

AD.JPG

Picked up this too - was looking for a Stockton or Barkley but a bit pricey for the humble NBA100 chase I'm doing

IMG_4704.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG

Back
Top Bottom