spinotron's Pairing Collection

spinotron

OzCardTrader
Real Name
D
Hi OCT,

It has been a while. I'd like to show some of my collection. Apology in advance to members who also browsed over HK and BO recently.

This time the theme is a bit different. An easiest intermediate between single-picking and collecting set is pairing collecting. You have the freedom to cherry pick the cards appealing to you the most, but there are also some challenge to find a companion card which shares some theme with it.

Sorry for some repetition with previous showcases.

Obviously, you cannot get better if pairing is Kobe and MJ, also because I collect them both. If that happens, no caption necessary. But nice to have other players I like too.

I tried to pair every major Kobe cards I have:

First some Panini stuff, as Kobe is their spokesman:

001_Nickname.jpg

Kobe notable nicknames /99 and 8/35. The rarer one is kind of a hidden version.

002_Platinum.jpg

Three eras of Lakers guard-center combos. NT platinum 1/1s. Wish Shaq wasn't in Heats uni.

003_Silhouette.jpg

Panini's first Kobe jumbo patch auto. These two patches are unique to older Lakers jersey. Backwards numbered to 2 and 4 on the back, so 2+4= 24.

Now some historic GUs shown before:

004_super_patch.jpg

First patch ever. Kobe has two versions, but version 1 will be regarded as the first by me.

005_quad.jpg

Kobe has second highest game score, and Melo co-shares highest quarter score. Kobe co-shares most 3 made in a single NBA game, Melo has most 3 in Olympics.

Now 90s.

PMG:

006_green1.jpg

007_green2.jpg

First PMG ever made. Teammate. One is top at defense, and one is top 2 at offense.

008_red.jpg

Hard to top 9, but nice to find one with nice corners. If 1992 dream team played against 2012, Pippen would probably be guarding Kobe. :p

009_PMG_champ1.jpg

010_PMG_champ2.jpg

Best from 96 class. Jersey numbered. Faced in Finals.

Credentials.

011_credentials.jpg

9.5 vs special numbering. Both iconic in respective legendary franchises. Kobe is narrowing in 30000 points, Jeter surpassed 3000 hits not too long ago. Both cards are centered.

012_now.jpg

Rarest non 1/1 cards for those two in best hobby year 97-98.

013_future.jpg

OK duo. One of greatest duos.

I also find a perfect pairing for my Kobe 98-99 credentials 4/10, but I slept over the auction for the other card. :p

Some other inserts.

014_Legacy1.jpg

015_Legacy2.jpg

Both row 2, and both numbered to 47, Kobe's highest FGA in a game.

016_Hardcourt.jpg

Both 23/23. Made of wood on both sides.

I collect some MJ too, a pairing for MJ:

017_Encore.jpg

Both jersey numbered. Both are THE last 90s jersey auto card for each player.

Hope you have enjoyed. Have fun collecting.

Feel free to discuss with me here or via [email protected] if you have questions, remarks, leads of cards I need or similar collecting styles.

Epic collection there dude. Some of the nicest cards ever produced!

Well if the my 97-98 red pmg fetches $14000 then that ex /9 has to be at least a 50k job!!

P.s he has some amazing cards not displayed!!

Thanks a lot, everyone, for your support and appreciation.

spurlec: I have registered for a while, but haven't been as active here as I'd like to. I bought some of best cards in the pairing collection one year or two ago, so prices were high then but not as forbidding as now. I will reserve some for the future showcase of a different theme, as some are work in progress. Hope everything is going well. ;)

Take care and happy collecting!

I love to see the guys who actually still collect junk cards. Everyone always wants top-notch high end stuff these days.

I love to see the guys who actually still collect junk cards. Everyone always wants top-notch high end stuff these days.

Haha. A good point to discuss.

We all collect cards we love by the way oneself feel comfortable.

If people collect for the sake of design, then they will choose highest print run parallel, or even base, e.g. a 97-98 Metal base which looks identical to PMG /90 or /10 in refracting pattern and are even in multi-color background, would be a great buy at little cost, but surely they would be junk in certain people's eyes, as they are readily available and mass produced and tossed aside after breaks. I really enjoy Kobe Metal base I bought under $2.

If people want to invest, then readily available cards or undesirable cards have great risk and little upside potential if ever.

If people want challenge or want to pick up certain cards which they can only dream of when they were young but still have great sentimental values now, or simply want to build a great PC of a player who inspire them, they might go after tough (old school) cards of their fave players.

Also everyone's taste is different. A top card of a junk player might be a junk card for some collector, or a 1/1 but in lesser condition might not be highly regarded by some, whilst a lesser card of top players might not be much appreciated by me in terms of priority, as I have limits and want to prioritize my collecting plan so that lesser ones can always be had later if I want a more complete collection one day.

Most of collectors might prefer keeping their PC low-key and private. In contrast, I want to share some highlights with everyone (I do have many uninteresting ones which I filtered out in this showcase) so that they might also enjoy part of PC which I'm most passionate about, and hopefully this will bring about some communicating and exchanges with fellow collectors of similar passion, which will drive us along our tough collecting journey, and also hopefully some owners of nice cards which I might need from my PC style or wantlist might contact me and hopefully work something out.

Anyways.

Thanks everyone for viewing. Be sure to check out the link I gave on post # 4 from time to time, you will see most recent update and a few items have been added in addition to cards shown in the main post, which I don't know how to edit and update.

Happy collecting!

that's some seriously epic pairings right there. I can appreciate the significance of those cards even though I personally only like the Garnett lol I respect the cards themselves and their rarity etc.

Back
Top Bottom