Sony slims PlayStation 3 size and price

The cost of the technology to build them will have dropped in the three years....3 years ago the blu-ray stuff and an 80gb hard-drive was (reasonably) cutting edge...now they are much more readily available to the mass-market, hence the price drop.

exactly!!! sony never lost any money making these....biggets myth ever, its like bugatti and they veyron, theres a reason to loose money their, not with sony though....just buy it for the blu ray player alone! theres 400 bucks right there.

The cost of the technology to build them will have dropped in the three years....3 years ago the blu-ray stuff and an 80gb hard-drive was (reasonably) cutting edge...now they are much more readily available to the mass-market, hence the price drop.

I agree but they use to loose about $250AU when it launched. Only about a 3 weeks ago they where loosing $50AU.

"Sony narrows PS3 unit loss down to $49. " As the company approaches 2009, losses per unit have dropped from $190 to around $50" dvdtown.com

So point being if they are still loosing money (I know it is small amount) what makes you think they will sell new one at profit if they are going to drop the price by $200? you cannot save $50 current loss per unit + $200 new price drop loss by just releasing a smaller model. This is $250 dollars they have to save on production somewhere in order to break even.

exactly!!! sony never lost any money making these....biggets myth ever, its like bugatti and they veyron, theres a reason to loose money their, not with sony though....just buy it for the blu ray player alone! theres 400 bucks right there.

it is not a myth read their financial reports and many news articles out there.

Yes they dropped $100.00 in the US. I just got laid off but I want one of these, I was thinking of getting the 80gig version but they don't make them that play the ps2 games anymore so I will get the slim which has 120gig for the same price of 299.99 as the 80gig. rumor has it sony is trying to make a ps3 slim with 250gig

The size of the HDD is irrelevant, it can be readily changed over to pretty much any size standard laptop (2.5) HDD, it has readily accessible screws and doesn't void the warranty.

In terms of console price losses, I agree with Allstar...their losses are minimal or non-existant because the tech market is always losing ground. There is no way that Sony will have skimped on the hardware side of things, they are using newer tech chips that are smaller and generate less heat so they can make the body smaller. They probably save a fair bit making the outer case simpler/plainer, and those savings are passed onto us, the consumers.

Another point of interest is that the PS3 is the only un-hackable console out there today. So the profit from games sales would be greater than for other console makers, because Sony are actually gettin' paid.

I agree but they use to loose about $250AU when it launched. Only about a 3 weeks ago they where loosing $50AU.

"Sony narrows PS3 unit loss down to $49. " As the company approaches 2009, losses per unit have dropped from $190 to around $50" dvdtown.com

So point being if they are still loosing money (I know it is small amount) what makes you think they will sell new one at profit if they are going to drop the price by $200? you cannot save $50 current loss per unit + $200 new price drop loss by just releasing a smaller model. This is $250 dollars they have to save on production somewhere in order to break even.

it is not a myth read their financial reports and many news articles out there.

Do they care if they lose on the console? NO! Why? Because tell me it costs them $120AU to make each copy of a game... Sure, I know they don't get all profits, but these games go from $120 and once they're a little old, down to $50, and the retailer is still covering their costs at $50. For every console sold, people are going to buy at least say 10 games which they'll make more off than the console loss. And 10 games is very VERY conservative for some PS3 owners. Hell even I have 5 games already and I don't play much!

Does it matter if they lose on the consoles a little? No. Games and Accessories profits launches them into profit central.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Yes they dropped $100.00 in the US. I just got laid off but I want one of these, I was thinking of getting the 80gig version but they don't make them that play the ps2 games anymore so I will get the slim which has 120gig for the same price of 299.99 as the 80gig. rumor has it sony is trying to make a ps3 slim with 250gig

All 80gig consoles play 90% of the PS2 catalogue. I did my research before buying just recently.

nenjabin.

Most people don't buy games for $120. They buy them when they are around $90 (JB Hi-Fi launch most games at this price point for the first week or two).

Don't forget most HD games costs loads to make. They need to sell far more copies to break even. We have lost some great companies due to this over the last year.

The point is Sony will have to fight a lot harder this gen in order to even get close to the profits it made with the PS2.

nenjabin.

Most people don't buy games for $120. They buy them when they are around $90 (JB Hi-Fi launch most games at this price point for the first week or two).

Don't forget most HD games costs loads to make. They need to sell far more copies to break even. We have lost some great companies due to this over the last year.

The point is Sony will have to fight a lot harder this gen in order to even get close to the profits it made with the PS2.

And it costs $90 to make? When the retailers still end up covering their costs selling them at $50? Come on...

And it costs $90 to make? When the retailers still end up covering their costs selling them at $50? Come on...

Man Sony gets like 5-10% on games sold. Australia is a small market. Profit margins are even smaller in the US. Some developers in EUR wanted games to cost a further $20US more then they are now due to development costs on HD consoles.

Also this 5-10% is before you factor in all the shipping costs and developer profits and break even sales.

They are compatible Rhys. 40GB 1s arn't, but 80GB PS3s play I believe 90% of PS2 catalogue.

No it won't. Sony took out the emotion chip that played PS2 games long ago.

just incase you want some said proof

"Will the new slim PS3 be have backward compatibility with PS2 games?
Tretton: No. We are three years into the PlayStation 3 life cycle. The library for PlayStation 3, both disc-based and network-based, is extensive. The consumer is playing PS3 games on the PS3. And given the fact that we have got a 140 million PS2s out there and it is currently available at $99, we really feel the PS2 serves the consumer who wants to play PS2 games. The PS3 is all about the PlayStation 3 experience."

Sony unveils $299 PlayStation 3 Slim - Game Hunters: In search of video games and interactive awesomeness - USATODAY.com

nenjabin.

i buy my games when they are like $20.
only just got saints row :D:D:D:)

Man Sony gets like 5-10% on games sold. Australia is a small market. Profit margins are even smaller in the US. Some developers in EUR wanted games to cost a further $20US more then they are now due to development costs on HD consoles.

Also this 5-10% is before you factor in all the shipping costs and developer profits and break even sales.

No it won't. Sony took out the emotion chip that played PS2 games long ago.

just incase you want some said proof

"Will the new slim PS3 be have backward compatibility with PS2 games?
Tretton: No. We are three years into the PlayStation 3 life cycle. The library for PlayStation 3, both disc-based and network-based, is extensive. The consumer is playing PS3 games on the PS3. And given the fact that we have got a 140 million PS2s out there and it is currently available at $99, we really feel the PS2 serves the consumer who wants to play PS2 games. The PS3 is all about the PlayStation 3 experience."

Sony unveils $299 PlayStation 3 Slim - Game Hunters: In search of video games and interactive awesomeness - USATODAY.com

Cheers for the games info :)

However, RE: PS3 playing PS2 games, I was responding only about the 40GB and 80GB current large PS3s. I don't know anything about the slimline version, but I know my 80GB PS3, bought a month ago (dang nabbit!), plays PS2 games and apparently plays 90+% of the PS2 catalogue. 40GB plays none. Slimline, clearly doesn't given your other information :)

Cheers for the games info :)

However, RE: PS3 playing PS2 games, I was responding only about the 40GB and 80GB current large PS3s. I don't know anything about the slimline version, but I know my 80GB PS3, bought a month ago (dang nabbit!), plays PS2 games and apparently plays 90+% of the PS2 catalogue. 40GB plays none. Slimline, clearly doesn't given your other information :)

don't get me wrong I love my PS3, but the slim to me seems like there has been some sort of quality cutting. Only time will tell I guess.

I am not sure about the 80gb but there where two versions one that did and one that doesn't. Aus being so expensive chances are we will had the ones that did not.

In all honesty Sony pissed me off with all the different versions we have had so far. It just confuses normal consumers.

don't get me wrong I love my PS3, but the slim to me seems like there has been some sort of quality cutting. Only time will tell I guess.

I am not sure about the 80gb but there where two versions one that did and one that doesn't. Aus being so expensive chances are we will had the ones that did not.

In all honesty Sony pissed me off with all the different versions we have had so far. It just confuses normal consumers.

Yeah was pretty confusing when I finally decided I was going to buy 1! Actually talked to a few mates who are big gamers, and looked up alot of info on the net and such to help! Now I've decided, I don't care anymore :lol: Slimline looks like trash to me anyhow, and the only thing that has me slightly miffed is the new price yet I bought mine at the old price! :lol:

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of NBA Live 10 and/or NBA 2k10 though :D Which is likely to be the 1 to go with?

Back
Top Bottom