Select Supremacy Thread (now with Afterpay)

10 cards for $500 means $50 per card, NBA /99 base cards sell for $1most times so hopefully the limited supply will see this set buck the trend. If they continue to break boxes and flood the market like they do now then it will kill the price in the aftermarket sales. Hope Select have learnt.

2400 boxes x 4 commons = 9600 commons / numbered to 90 = 106.66 different players. Which player will only be two thirds?

Merrett is No.29 so roughly 6 players per team but some may have more than others.

2400 boxes x 4 commons = 9600 commons / numbered to 90 = 106.66 different players. Which player will only be two thirds?

Merrett is No.29 so roughly 6 players per team but some may have more than others.

There are always more cards printed than used......id say 110 total base cards in the set would be a rough estimate.

Last edited:
There are always more cards printed than used......id say 110 base would be a rough estimate.
110 is possible with 6 per team and a couple of checklists but they'd need to sneak 5 commons into some boxes to achieve that figure.

10 cards for $500 means $50 per card, NBA /99 base cards sell for $1most times so hopefully the limited supply will see this set buck the trend. If they continue to break boxes and flood the market like they do now then it will kill the price in the aftermarket sales. Hope Select have learnt.

How does Box breaks flood the market more than selling of packs/boxes separately?

How does Box breaks flood the market more than selling of packs/boxes separately?

In reality it puts much more cards out there in a short time period as people sell the cards they hit that they don’t want. That is what has happened for the last couple of years and AFL card prices have dramatically dropped as a result. Great for collectors who want to save money but not great for maintaining value in the cards they collect so it has pros and cons.

A couple of pics of base cards, individually numbered to 90, base set should be a 100 card set based on their figures.

WOW, 125 different signatures in the set. I thought i was doing well to get Clarko to tell me that he signed cards earlier in the year for what he thought was a club release?
Like the idea of past player guernsey patch cards.

Untitled.png
dd.jpg

hhjh.jpg
mm.jpg

In reality it puts much more cards out there in a short time period as people sell the cards they hit that they don’t want. That is what has happened for the last couple of years and AFL card prices have dramatically dropped as a result. Great for collectors who want to save money but not great for maintaining value in the cards they collect so it has pros and cons.
Agree 100% on this and have seen the trend over the last couple of years the more people doing box breaks the worse prices drop imo, as a reseller there used to be a good 4 week window where you could get decent prices, last year that dropped to about 2 weeks and series 2 this year was only a few days, don’t get me wrong I don’t mind box breaks and go in them myself as they are definitely fun, but most are random breaks so not very often you hit the team you want so the cards you do get are dumped to recover some money to go in more breaks, I would go as far to say some people are addicted to it, and with a release like this which is absolutely perfect for people doing box breaks it’s hard to see the trend in prices holding strong, I hope I’m wrong as the days of the resellers seems to be numbered, you will have every man and there dog just doing live breaks that’s where the hobby is heading imo

Anyone think that the price of Dominance cards will plummet even further with this release?

The one thing to keep in mind, while this is new for the AFL card market, other card companies (including some here in Australia) have had cards that are 130 point thickness (TLA Superhero Patch Cards etc).

So while the cards may look ok, its not something that hasn't been done before so claiming this isn't correct. This is essentially copying National Treasures but for AFL.

I mean Exquisite did these thick cards in its first year in 2003 so i'm surprised that in 2019 it seems like some new magic concept that will blow everyones mind! Most people who have collected cards in some form will have known this already!

So while the cards may look ok, its not something that hasn't been done before so claiming this isn't correct. This is essentially copying National Treasures but for AFL.

I mean Exquisite did these thick cards in its first year in 2003 so i'm surprised that in 2019 it seems like some new magic concept that will blow everyones mind! Most people who have collected cards in some form will have known this already!

Yeh. I went on Youtube and it seems this concept of card is done overseas.

It's fair enough to say that its new to the AFL market, but to suggest this is something special on "the world stage" is a bit wrong.

I think its good for the AFL hobby. But, to try and compare it to the baseball/NBA hobby etc just ruins your credibility and comes across as ridiculous hyperbole.

a release like this which is absolutely perfect for people doing box breaks it’s hard to see the trend in prices holding strong, I hope I’m wrong as the days of the resellers seems to be numbered, you will have every man and there dog just doing live breaks that’s where the hobby is heading imo

So 2400 "boxes".

I wonder how many will be opened via a live box break?

Will be a SIGNIFICANT number imo.

So 2400 "boxes".

I wonder how many will be opened via a live box break?

Will be a SIGNIFICANT number imo.
Of course it will this product will be perfect for it as long as you have people buying into breaks you can pump them out that quick, it’s only 1 packet, as I said everybody will be doing it soon it’s the way it’s all heading, NBA Is massive for live breaks just look at YouTube there are endless amounts of videos to watch

Of course it will this product will be perfect for it as long as you have people buying into breaks you can pump them out that quick, it’s only 1 packet, as I said everybody will be doing it soon it’s the way it’s all heading, NBA Is massive for live breaks just look at YouTube there are endless amounts of videos to watch

Yes the NBA group break scene is huge and Panini and Topps certainly take advantage of that.....even here in Australia through people like Cherry Collectables, however AFL doesn't have a huge international following (especially from Asia) that pumps huge money into these breaks.

It's all well and good to be a huge fan of a product but are those people self flagellating over this release going to put their hand into their pockets and dish out $500 for a box or $3000 for a case?

yeh ill prob buy some of these. but not sure if i should buy the boxes or just hand pick the cards i want on the secondary market

I like what I’m hearing and seeing so far so I think I’ll still buy a box. The last few years I’ve been more inclined to buy cards I want for my collection as it’s so much cheaper and just not enough value in series 2 these days. But this is something special. I could do the easy thing and just attempt to buy the Hawks cards but I think some will sell for pretty big money. I’ll have a crack at a box and cross my fingers for something nice.

When you say "hope Select have learnt", what do you mean?

Isnt it card shops/groups etc buying boxes and then charging people to be part of the break?

How is Select responsible?

Back
Top Bottom