Riding the wave vs cashing in while the going is good

Absolutely this. With all the technology around these days, you'd hope that QC on new cards would be top notch. The "straight from pack to sleeve to grading" approach just makes no sense to me at all. People should expect that every card fresh out of a new pack is a 9+.

10s would not really fit the bill as you need quite a bit of luck with them given (apparently) only a small number of cards come out of the packs as 10s.

Then there is copping a grader on a bad, stressed out day! So many forks in the road that need to go your way.

Watching some NFL Prizm come out, horribly off centre is a real heartbreaker.

It's like they deliberately throw them off

Then there is copping a grader on a bad, stressed out day! So many forks in the road that need to go your way.

If I put a tin foil hat on I would ask — is this a strategy? The whole grading system only exists because grading companies have convinced people their cards are more valuable if they get a high grade. This is only true if high graded cards are scarce. Therefore, it is in the grading companies best interests to limit the "supply" of high grades.

Watching some NFL Prizm come out, horribly off centre is a real heartbreaker.

It's like they deliberately throw them off

See, I have never had this. Not that I buy much current product but I do not ever recall opening modern product where cards have been off center or flawed. I had someone trying to tell me most cards that come out of packs would only grade an 8. Not sure if that is true or not but the ones I get have opened always looked pretty dang good!

I had someone trying to tell me most cards that come out of packs would only grade an 8. Not sure if that is true or not but the ones I get have opened always looked pretty dang good!

I would believe that. Also agree on the grading strategy.

They would surely have metrics they need to hit and capped numbers of 10s.

I would believe that. Also agree on the grading strategy.

They would surely have metrics they need to hit and capped numbers of 10s.
Now, if you were to take that conspiracy theory to its logical conclusion then you find the condition of your card is only of moderate importance — yes, if it has been through the washing machine it will always get a low grade but if they have just had a "run" of 10s then your "perfect" card is unlikely to grade as such...

(Please note — I am mainly just doing this in jest. I really don't have strong opinions on grading companies ethics as it is not something that I will ever use. If my cards coming out of packs are only 8s then I am perfectly happy with 8s!).

If my cards coming out of packs are only 8s then I am perfectly happy with 8s!).
This is why I am happy to grade all my cards, regardless of their grading. They were my cards! Grew up with them, bought them when I got back into the hobby 15 years ago, and now that I am back again!

I just like what i have and the hope of hitting a big card in a box (it never happens)

"I was going to write a whole lot more". Crickey. Really? Just having fun mate. Always good when someone puts in like that.

Profit is profit. And as long as it cancels out the losses you will inevitably take on some cards you're winning. I've left heaps of money on the table in the last 2 years but that's easy to say with hindsight. At the time I was happy selling. I'm happy if the profit I make on cards offsets the money I have spent on wax. Paying off mortgages with cards is something I could only dream of.

Interesting. Can anyone remember was there a spike in the 90s before the hobby crashed? Did a whole lot of new collectors join and prices go up before it tanked?

Interesting. Can anyone remember was there a spike in the 90s before the hobby crashed? Did a whole lot of new collectors join and prices go up before it tanked?
I think the sport just died out. Wasn't really a crash, but it started getting real interesting in the mid to late 90s with innovation and reduced output