Re-entering the hobby after 20 years

IGrokSpock

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Mike
Hi all,

My name is Mike, and like most people my age, I sunk a lot of pocket/birthday money into buying basketball cards in the mid 90s.

However, last week I was on holiday in Perth. I popped into a sports cards shop, and nostalgia hit when I saw a set (no inserts) of the 94-95 Fleer and Upper Deck sets. Now I'm looking to re-enter the hobby. It's oddly hard to find stuff in Sydney.

In conclusion, hi.

Cheers. 'Tis quite the forum.

I have a question; what is the difference between a "hobby" box and a "retail" one? I can see a price difference, but no definitions anywhere.

Hi all,

My name is Mike, and like most people my age, I sunk a lot of pocket/birthday money into buying basketball cards in the mid 90s.

However, last week I was on holiday in Perth. I popped into a sports cards shop, and nostalgia hit when I saw a set (no inserts) of the 94-95 Fleer and Upper Deck sets. Now I'm looking to re-enter the hobby. It's oddly hard to find stuff in Sydney.

In conclusion, hi.

Welcome back to the hobby. Your story sounds very similar to mine. If set building is your thing, let me know what set you chase and i'll do my best to help out. I am currently trying to build my business around set builders, and having a one stop shop for base cards. It is taking a very long time to get up and running, but i guess baby steps will eventually get me where i'm going.

So again, Welcome back and hope you have fun.

Marko

Thanks all for the welcomes. :)

Welcome back to the hobby. Your story sounds very similar to mine. If set building is your thing, let me know what set you chase and i'll do my best to help out. I am currently trying to build my business around set builders, and having a one stop shop for base cards. It is taking a very long time to get up and running, but i guess baby steps will eventually get me where i'm going.

Right now I'm looking for 94/95 Fleer content, having just got the Series One set, sans inserts. (My terminology may be off, having spent fifteen years playing CCGs.) Once I get most of the way in that set, I'm going to go to 95/96, and so on. I never realised just how much diversity of content there was. I remember when it was just Fleer, Upper Deck, Topps and Skybox. Evidently small markets in NSW didn't get too much. :p

Though I am also now looking to baseball cards, being a fan of the 2002 Oakland A's. But baseball stuff seems hard to get in Australia. I'm excited for the chase. :)

Welcome back to the hobby

I also returned to the hobby after an extended break. The good thing (or it could be a bad thing) is I now have more disposable income to spend on cards.

Back
Top Bottom