question about australia?

vc15jrich23

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jeff
eBay User
beefrey138
I am in a class at my local college called "Race, Class, Sex, and Gender" Anyways we are talking about "Class" right now and we were talking about how lower class people eat more fast food and my teacher said that it is illegal for fast food places to air commercials before 8:00 PM in Australia because it targets children (like Kids meal commercials from Mcdonalds) is that true that it is illegal there for fast food places to show commercials before 8:00pm? I thought it was interesting and I know it's a dumb question I just had to ask? ;)

I think it was passed, because I'm not noticing adds for macca's and co. until the mid evening. I do know one thing ab out macca's, however - the pricing on menu items varies depending on where the store is located. If it's located in, say, a lower economic suburb (say, Redfern Sydney) the prices will be cheaper than a more affluent area (say, East Garden Sydney). This holds true for all the other major fastfood places - they do this to bring in more customers from the local region.

interesting, I can not remember exactly what time he said they can not air them but I know it was around that time. thanks everyone. It is an interesting topic to talk about

Def not true there are maccas, Hungry jacks (burger king) kfc ads on tv all day. There was a big kerfuffle about having them aimed at children and airing during childrens programming. Not sure of what the outcome was.

this may be off topic, but the one big change that did happen in fast food in aus in recent times is that the calories of the meal have to be advertised in store.

This was probably the compromise they agreed to instead of ad bans.

I will have to let him know, here in the states some places will give you the calorie count but on the reciept after you bought the food so it doesn't really help at all ;)

Today we were talking about politics and he also said in Australia it is illegal not to vote. Is that true and if so what happens if you do not vote?
thanks again everyone :)

Today we were talking about politics and he also said in Australia it is illegal not to vote. Is that true and if so what happens if you do not vote?
thanks again everyone :)

Yea they have to make it illegal not to vote otherwise 90% of the population wouldnt turn up, Jeff Im backing You's have 1000's of ppl turn up for a Presidential speach or something where we would prolly have about 25:D . We are a bit more relaxed on our politics prolly cause our choices are pretty Sad.

I thought the federal election penalty was bigger then $50? only state elections are $50.

Well not to sure.

Either way according to a work collegue there is a loop hole.

If you are out of your local state when voting is happening on that day you can use that excuse.

NOTE: I have never looked into it myself.

There's another loophole to the voting thing.... If you don't understand the process or have an intellectual disability that prevents you from understanding the process, you can legally not vote. My neighbour upstairs is dislexic. has never understood the process and has never registered - even though his now 27, he has never voted (federally or locally) and has never been fined.

yeah its illegal not to vote here. You get a $50 fine i think and then still have to vote.

You get a small fine but obviously don't have to vote still because by that time the election is over.
You can get off paying the fine if you have a 'valid' reason as someone said, out if state, hospital etc etc

Not sure if the out of state thing would really work unless it was a very long time, i know they advertise a while before each vote saying if you wont be in the state at the time you should let them know and you can post your vote in or something, also if you never register you will never be fined but if they catch up with you then you will probably get hit with them all at once.
I've also thought it interesting how the people in the USA love there presidents so much when in Australia we either dont give a shit about politics or hate them all.
If i can ask you a question,
In Australia in the early to mid 90's nba trading cards cards were the biggest thing going around, with shops on every corner buying/selling cards then all of a sudden nobody wanted them anymore and all the shops disapeered almost overnight, did that happen over there as well? although you may not be old enough to know anyway.

Back
Top Bottom