PSA return

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
These were the soccer cards that got a 10. I subbed 14 month ago and many of the cards I subbed ( including the Topps Now cards) would not be going in there if I'd subbed 6 months later. The rest of the soccer cards were all PSA9's. Sent in 3 Timothey Weah Optics and all got a 9. McKennie was the only Optic card to gem.

IMG_E8863.JPG

I don't think it has taken off like people thought it would - in fact it may have see its peak a while ago. I expect these cards to tick up leading into the world cup. If they don't that's pretty much it for soccer imo. Vinicius Jr. played for Real Madrid, won a title and for the first half of the year was their best player and he's only 22 years of age. He gets to showcase his talent for Brazil in November( Haaland does not as Norway did not qualify).

McKennie is probably the US' best player after Pulisic. The Optic cards should have some decent value as they are condition sensitive. The pop reports show that for most the 2018-19 Rated rookie cards.

The pops are relatively low given the product has been out for 4+ years. I've had 10 base Optic Vinicius JR. and could only send 1 in and it got a PSA9. They were horribly cut and centering was ordinary as well.

Alphonso Davies base Optic pop: 805, PSA10-133 PSA9-513
Vinicius Jr. pop: 956, PSA10- 442, PSA9-476
Phil Foden pop: 1041, PSA10- 499, PSA9-501
Jadon Sancho pop: 1548, PSA10- 341, PSA9- 845
Kai Havertz pop: 1051, PSA10-328, PSA9- 607
Weston McKennie pop: 512, PSA10- 221, PSA9- 232

Last edited:
Here's my take on the soccer market fwiw. Whilst you still hear folks saying how it's a sleeping giant or at a minimum has a lot of room to grow the reality is that unless the North American market embraces it in a significant way it is going nowhere. I suspect that the US and Canada make up 90% of the sportscard market - if not more.

I recently listed some soccer cards on ebay including Vinicius Junior who is definitely one of the bigger prospects and there have been zero views in 48 hours.

Last edited:
Here's my take on the soccer market fwiw. Whilst you still hear folks saying how it's a sleeping giant or at a minimum has a lot of room to grow the reality is that unless the North American market embraces it in a significant way it is going nowhere. I suspect that the US and Canada make up 90% of the sportscard market - if not more.

I recently listed some soccer cards on ebay including Vinicius Junior who is definitely one of the bigger prospects and there have been zero views in 48 hours.
Not that I am actively in the soccer hobby market but I tend to agree with you regarding those that are being bullish on the sport. I feel like they have a vested interest into soccer becoming a hobby giant.

I'm not so sure on the US/Canada market making up 90%+ of the sports card market. The hobby is huge in the Asian markets and a lot of sales within those markets wouldn't be seen on the US eBay site. You could also say that those who are bullish on the soccer discipline are of the opinion that it will take off in Europe as opposed to the US?

You are correct that Asia is significant but I suspect it's heavier into TCG than sports. I'd still be surprised if North America did not account for at least 85% of the overall sportscard industry. Europe has never really had a sportscard market. It's a sticker market and the vast majority of people( kids) buy those stickers to put in albums. That may change but it will take a very long time before hobby stores are prevalent anywhere on the continent. The UK has a chance at increasing participation but I don't see it happening in other countries. Again, soccer stickers have been the main thing in Europe. I can't see them swapping that for cardboard - at least not in the near future. And there is no way, imo, that there is enough demand for the crazy amount of soccer products that are currently being produced.

I just cobbled that together in 5 minutes. If I did some research I'd put the argument across more coherently.

Back
Top Bottom