Prior collector making a return

muzzy66

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Peter
eBay User
crimson_stallion
Hi everyone,

I've only just started to get back into basketball cards (with some real enthusiasm!) after being out of the hobby for many years, so when I saw this forum I thought I'd sign up and introduce myself!

I started collecting basketball cards as a young'un back around 1992 (when I was in around 2nd grade) - was a big Patrick Ewing/Karl Malone/Penny Hardaway fan. My prized card for years was a 1993-94 Penny Hardaway refractor that I still have. It's value is now about 1/8 of what it once was, but still love the card!

A few months back I've ordered some boxes just for fun - here are the ones I have bought as well as the key hits from each:

* 1 x 2013/14 Panini Crusade

* 1 x 2012/13 Panini Hobby (Bradley Beal Auto)

* 1 x 2012/13 Panini Elite Series (Eric Gordon Status Die-Cut Auto #04/10)

* 1 x 2013/14 Panini Gold Standard (Kobe Bryant Marks Of Gold Redemption #/25)

* 1 x 2013/14 Panini Immaculate Collection (David robinson Patch Auto Gold #50/50, Andre Roberson Rookie Patch Auto #16/21, Kevin Durant Gold Parallel #2/10, Thaddeus Young Ink #9/10)

* 1 x 2012/13 Panini Limited (Blake Griffin Lights Out #198/199

* 1 x 2012-13 Panini Momntum (Kobe Bryant Momental Marks #53/149)

* 1 x 2013/14 Panini National Treasures (Giannis Antetokounmpo Kobe All Rookie Gold #19/25, Dominique Wilkens Signatures #28/35, Scottie Pippen Colossal #23/99)

* 1 x 2013/14 Panini NBA Finals Promo Pack (13/14 Panini Tim Hardaway Jr Rookie Patch Auto #13/25)

* 1 x 2012/13 Panini Signatures (Blake Griffin Blue #6/15)

* 3 x 2013/14 Panini Signatures (Jordan Crawford Vet Film Auto #1/1, Kevin Durant Dynamic Ink Redemption #/35, Marcus Smart Rookie X-Change, David Robinson Film Card Red #07/10, Russel Westbrook Red #7/10)

* 1 x 2010/11 Panini Totally certified (Lebron James Fabic of the Game #222/299)

* 1 x 2012/13 Upper Deck Fleer Retro (Larry Bird 97-98 Ultra Platinum Medallion #68/100, Hakeem Olajuwon Molten Metal)

* 1 x 2011/12 Upper Deck All-Time Greats (Magic Johnson Illustrious Signatures #6/15)

* 1 x 2013/14 Upper Deck All-Time Greats 3 Box Case (Michael Jordan Signatures #43/45, Michael Jordan Gold Parallel #01/50, Magic Johnson Signatures 08/50)

* 1 x 2013/14 Upper Deck Black (Paul George Signatures #22/75, Hakeem Olajuwon Old School #64/75)

* 1 x 2012/13 Upper Deck Equisite Collection (Michael Jordan Signatures #21/99, John Havlicek Collegiate Signatures #39/45, Clyde Drexler Endorsements #54/99)

* 1 x 2012/13 Upper Deck SP Authentic (Michael Cooper By the Letter #38/75)

* 1 x 2010/11 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection (Bob Lanier Signatures #54/99)

So far I have found that my favorite boxes to break have been:
* Panini Immaculate Collection
* Panini Signatures
* Upper Deck Exquisite Collection
* Upper Deck UD Black
* Upper Deck All-Time Greats

I'm really favouring Upper Deck products overall at this stage, not only because I've gotten my best hits with them but also (and mostly) because I just really like the designs of their cards and the quality of the players in their sets. I really like the silver/gold ink on black background and the very classic designs - it's a classy touch and a nice change for the sea of white that's in every other product. Even in the case of the Exquisite cards that are white, they just seem to do a nice job of decorating them to look different and unique. Love their books also - much nicer IMO than any of the book cards I've seen from Panini. Also to me the cards seem to have a more solid weight to them and just feel more equisitely (pun intended) finished. Finally the high end sets (i.e. not SP and Retro) have very few scrub players, meaning it's very rare to get a break where you don't have at least one nice card from a popular player. Oh and as far as I'm aware ALL signatures are on-card in Equisite, Black and ATG.

The life-saving products for Panini (in my eyes) have been Immaculate and Signaturews. Immaculate might be my favorite product right now, period (up there with Exquisite). They have a stunning card design, a quality feel, quality, good inserts and a nice player checklist. Far superior IMO to the similarly priced National Treasures. National treasures just seems very big gamble to me, and the cards just don't feel or look as nice IMO...plus a lot of unknown players.

signatures also seems like a fantastic option as a value buy (currently $70 at D&A). While there don't seem to be a lot of big dollar hits in the sets, there also seems to be very few bad breaks from this product. The Draft X-Change cards for example (one per box) of even the worst players seem to be worth around $25, which is about 1/3 of the box pice returned in one card. Not just value though, they are classy card designs and the film cards (IMO) are both great looking and nicely innovative - a rarity these days. It's been my 'value' pick of choice so far.

Anyway, the problem I face now is that so much with these breaks that I just want to keep buying boxes...and I think I've probably spent about $3,000 in the past 3 months including the most recent order I just placed!

I don't know if I've just been lucky with the breaks so far, or if these breaks have been pretty typical of what you get from the products these days. If it's normal, then wow - this is a great era for card collecting! If it's not normal, then I should probably cut the buying back before the bad luck catches up with me!

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to do one last monster buy and then I'm going to cut myself off for a long time...maybe 6 months or even a year.

Here is wha I have ordered so far for the final break:

* 1 x 13/14 Leaf Best of Basketball
* 2 x 11/12 Upper Deck Exquisite (D&A's price of $340 US was just too cheap to pass up!)
* 1 x 2011/12 Upper Deck UD Black
* 1 x 2011/12 Panini Gold Standard (as this look like the best year for Gold)
* 1 x 2004/05 Topps Jumbo
* 1 x 2009/10 Upper Deck Hobby
* 1 x 2007/08 Fleer Hot Prospects Retail

Here are the last few items I still want to add:

* 1 x 2013/14 Upper Deck All-Time Greats
* 1 x 2013/14 Upper Deck UD Black (too cheap now at $160 US at D&A's)
* 1 x 2013/14 Panini Preferred
* 1 x 2012/13 Panni Select

Hopefully this will give me enough fun to allow me to put the addiction to rest for a while! :/
Do you think this is a solid selection of boxes? Also please let me know if you want me to film any of these breaks when they come, maybe I can create a youtube account and put it up if anybody has an interest in some of these products.

- Peter

Thats the craziest luck Ive ever seen!!!

2x MJ autos, 2x Kobe Autos, and a KD auto!

I wouldnt expect that going forward mate, but MOJO to you!

Haha luckilly im not married yet!!

At first I didnt really know what to buy, so I just spammed youtube for break videos and took note of how many quality hits tended to come out of each product, then I kinda just went for the ones that seemed to return well (plus tried a few of the others just for fun).

I wasnt sure if I had beem crazy lucky, or if I had just chosen the boxes well!

I cant help but feel its only a matter of time before I bust out bigtime though, so that's why I figured I'll make this my last big buy, then just stick to the occasional small buy maybe once every 6 months or so.

My main eras were mid-late-90s and present day, so I was really happy to hit some nice cards from MJ/Magic/Hakeem/Robinson/Kobe/George.

If still like to hit some nice cards of Ewing/Malone/Russel/Bird/Erving but although I know it's more practical to just buy the cards, but I just enjoy the thril and suspense of breaking boxes :)

Wow. If I was to purchase that many boxes I would find myself divorced very quickly...

Congrats on the hits and welcome back!

If you hit any nice Paul George cards and want to sell let me know.

I did get the UD Black Paul George auto (/75) but I really like the card! Not sure if I want to sell it.

If you're interested let me know and ill have a think about it.

You've definitely had some luck and come back to the hobby in a big way. I've been back for years now and still haven't spent that much on wax!

Anyway, best of luck with your next bust, but I think you may get itchy fingers. Wax busting is an addictive hobby, especially when new product comes out. That's when people start to move to case busting.

I cant help but feel its only a matter of time before I bust out bigtime though

This is true! I loovvvee the gamble of busting boxes, but a general rule is the you will only profit on one box from each case. You may break even on one more.

If you're busting to make money, you're in it for the wrong reasons and you should just buy lottery tickets, you have better odds:)

Have you decided who you want to collect yet?

Youve already landed 3 of the all time greats!

Im a bit weird in that I don't realy have one or two players that I want to entirely focus on. I kinda just like having a nice little piece of history, so I have a bunch of players I follow (past and present) and for each guy I kinda just want to have one or two nice cards to hold on to.

More than anything I love hitting stuff that either looks really nice, or is reasonably rare. Out of the two Jordans I hit for example, I prefer the Equisite, even though the ATG card is lower numbered. I just think the exquisite card has a really classy design, while the ATG card is classy but a bit plain.

I'm really dying to break that box of Leaf Best of Basketball - ive seen some amazing historic cards come out of those boxes (like Jordan Fleer RC, Fleer Bird/Magic/Erving RC, Ewing Fleer RC auto, etc) and many are graded as well. Very drawn to the idea that you can get these great past cards that you could never get in any modern box.

I guess the main guys I want nice cards of are:
P Ewing
K Malone
B Russell
M Jordan
M Johnson
L Bird
J Erving
H Olajuwon
D Robinson
J Stockton
K Garnett (huge fan!)
K Bryant
C Paul
R Rondo
P Pierce
R Allen (complete the big 4!)
S Oneal
L James
D Wade
A Davis
M Smart
D Cousins

Plus im happy with a nice card of almsost any young modern stars like Lillard, Beal, Wall, George, etc just as a keepsake - never know how good those guys could one day become!

I guess this is why box busting works so well for me, im not so fixated on specific players so much as just getting some nice cards.

Im a big Celtics fan though, so I wouldn't mind putting together a nice 'big 4' set if I can find Ray/Paul/Kg/RR cards from the same set.

Nice work on the hits mate, you have done very very well. Cracking the wax for fun is the best way to look at it - that's why we all do this game after all :)

Leaf BOB can definitely pull some great cards. @King@James pulled a nice Lebron auto last week:

http://www.ozcardtrader.com.au/comm...-gold-great-result.178479/page-2#post-1541504

At least with BOB you can't ever really bust on it. You're always gonna get some sort of return. Id same you have a 99% chance you'll hit someone from you list too.

FYI - all the BOB cards, other than the leaf auto, are graded. That is part of the appeal.

My only issue with BOB is that they promote the product from 6months in advance with pics of all the cards you can supposedly hit, but I went in a group break with @cherrycollectables and pulled a BGS 8.5 Kobe auto. Thats fine, especially because I PC him, but because it was serial numbered, I looked it up on eBay. I happened to find that Leaf bought the raw card from ebay only 6 days before the release date, got it graded and shoved it the remaining packs... That's pretty poor form in my opinion. Don't promote a product that you haven't even got a checklist for yet.

If you love busting boxes, and you don't mind who you hit, you should definitely try group breaks. @cherrycollectables and @West Oz Cards do them for OZCT members on here, you can find there current and past breaks in the group breaks. They do weekly, monthly or on demand breaks. So if you can't wait for your next order, just text them, get to a PC and watch them bust your box live, then post you your hits.

With your PC, trust me, it will be much more fun for you if you can think of group that you can classify your players in.

For example some PCs on here are "Top 50 players of all time" "Slam Dunk Champ's" "Rookie of the Year's"

The top of your list could easily be classified as "Dream Team'ers"

Your entire list fits into, or will eventually fall under "Team USA player's"

Try think of a group of legends or stars that fit what your looking for. It will make the chase much more enjoyable.

I PC Kobe, because I named my son Kobe. I PC Longley cos I only recently read his book, and loved it. But I do want to one day chase a pc of "Dream Team Auto's"

Thanks Coopz05, some good advice there!

Never really thought about it, but "Team USA Players" does fit nicely!

I will go with that :D

Welcome back to the Hobby Peter.!

Awesome selection of boxes to come back with and some incredible hits in there! Possibly a couple of case hits from random boxes!

Well Done Sir!

Thanks!!

Haha after the third set of breaks I was like "wow, are modern boxes really this charitable???" haha

My brother had suggested to me that it was probably just a lucky streak, just seems crazy to get that much luck.

Well when the new boxes come ill be sure to post the break results on here, see if I can pull off one last lucky steak before i go quiet!

I'm just sad that I'm having trouble finding cheap boxes of immaculate now. I think I got the last box for $380 or so, but I've been looking since and they are all >$400 now, which is pishing it just a bit past my comfort zone. Really like that product though, definately my favorite Panini product - almost as nice as flawless (I think some cards are even nicer) for a fraction of the price.

I think after this ill go into temporary hibernation until the 14/15 Immaculate, Exquisite, Black and All-Time Greats are released. Then ill do one box of each, and go back to hibernation again.

Ill have picked up a ton of decent cards who arent PC for me, so I might put some of them up on here for sale / trade.

Last edited:
I woukd love to one day have enough spare cash to go crazy on a box of Flawless, just purely for the sake of being able to say I've tried it. I don't think I'll ever be that crazy though!

Group break maybe

flawless is only worth it if busted within a day or so of release. Then you have the best prices for cards you want to flip.

Once it hits 2wks, they steadily decline in sales value.

After a few months, you can nearly always pick up 3-4 "case hits" for less than the price one box.

Immaculate is your best bet for risk vs reward. you only need to look at this card that sold a couple of days ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-14-Pan...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, I ran some numbers in the past and also found that Immaculate was probably the best all rounder in that regard.

Followed by probably Exquisite or All-Time-Greats (because the latter gives you a high chance at a Lebron or Jordan auto at only $160 a box).

What pickups!! :D Some great hits there. Aside from the jordans etc well done on the david robinson auto jersey numbered 50/50!!!! welcome back to the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom