Parallel over kill

ozballer23

#1 J.R. Smith Collector
Real Name
Norm
For some time now Panini has been overloading us with Parallels, but as a player collector, Totally certified is ridiculous! I thought Preferred was nuts......

Base
Red 279
Blue 149
Purple 49
Gold 10
Green 5
Black 1

Red Die Cuts 135
Blue Die Cuts 74
Purple Die Cuts 25
Gold Die Cuts 10
Green Die Cuts 5
Black Die Cuts 1

Variations Base
Variations Red 279
Variations Blue 149
Variations Purple 49
Variations Gold 10
Variations Green 5
Variations Black 1

Variations Red Die Cuts 135
Variations Blue Die Cuts 74
Variations Purple Die Cuts 25
Variations Gold Die Cuts 10
Variations Green Die Cuts 5
Variations Black Die Cuts 1

I've seen the checklist. Every player does have the variation.

I have stats at home, based on the Faried PC on the increased number of parallels. From the top of my head:
2012-13 (rookie year) contained: 308 cards total, or 130 if you don't count parallels
2013-14 contained: 352 cards, across 135 cards if you don't include parallels. There is also approx 65 less autos (non variation count) meaning that the increased content comes from base and inserts
2014-15 contains: 52 cards, across 6 cards if you don't count variations. *note this doesn't include totally certified, where I think he has 4 different cards (plus variations)

Summary:
12-13: 2.3 parallels per card
13-14: 2.6 parallels per card
14-15: 8.6 parallels per card (will update this to inc TC later)

The Variation checklist is only 20 cards not the full 180 of the regular list. Most players will only have 2 base rainbows to chase! Wiggins, Parker and Exum are the only rookies with variations.

3 years ago when I came back to collecting Beckett had 167 autos listed for Penny which Set me off on a path to collect all his autos.... today the beckett count is 427! Most of these are parallels and I have decided to abandon the chase:(. Saddens me a little but to be honest I have become very bored of the same stuff getting pumped out, I pick up a couple of nicer cards here and there but the moving target is very annoying to say the least!

3 years ago when I came back to collecting Beckett had 167 autos listed for Penny which Set me off on a path to collect all his autos.... today the beckett count is 427! Most of these are parallels and I have decided to abandon the chase:(. Saddens me a little but to be honest I have become very bored of the same stuff getting pumped out, I pick up a couple of nicer cards here and there but the moving target is very annoying to say the least!
Majority of those are last year and this year right? Fvck Panini, I refuse to buy more than one auto from a set nowadays. The only exception being nice auto patches ie: Immaculate

Majority of those are last year and this year right? Fvck Panini, I refuse to buy more than one auto from a set nowadays. The only exception being nice auto patches ie: Immaculate

Agreed, I try to pick up an auto from each set and in lower end products, like hoops, i don't mind a couple of cheap numbered cards.

Agreed, I try to pick up an auto from each set and in lower end products, like hoops, i don't mind a couple of cheap numbered cards.

Faried rarely signs for panini now days, so I don't have to worry!

T-Mac I don't touch from panini. I can get a 10x nicer UD auto for a third of the price - and its on card not a sticker auto too.

A perfect example is Spectra, there were light blue/orange/gold so i only bought one of each of the golds. Been doing the same with Flawless this year, only buying the one that appeals to me instead of feeling an obligation to have one of each colour.

A perfect example is Spectra, there were light blue/orange/gold so i only bought one of each of the golds. Been doing the same with Flawless this year, only buying the one that appeals to me instead of feeling an obligation to have one of each colour.

I bought an auto patch from Flawless and that's it, not gonna get sucked into buying the /5 version or other parallels.

It's kind of like panini saw all the negative comments about to many parallels in last years product so they said 'you thought last years parallels were crazy? How about 20+ parallels to chase in each one of this years products PLUS retail exclusives as well. CHA-CHING'

I seriously dislike retail exclusives, mainly because our sole means of finding them is seeing them busted in the states and for sale on line. I especially hate low numbered retail exclusive parallels which will likely NEVER see the light of day and make it impossible for super collectors and rainbow chasers to complete sets.

Back
Top Bottom